Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Freaking out

I am freaking out a bit and need info. Left the Airstream on Sunday at my property which is 90 minutes away, just realized that I turned the City Water valve off so there is no fresh water going into the Airstream; but I forgot to turn the water heater off. I have a LP water heater and am not worried about running the LP dry but I am concerned that the water heater working day in and out will cause the water in the water heater to evaporate and it will eventually run dry. Will it empty by Friday when I was planning to go back up or should I get in my car and drive up there and shut it off? Thanks for reading and your time.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Windsor , Connecticut
I hear you.

Is there anyone nearby you could call to turn the city water on?

Worst case, if 3 hours d driving will give you 3 more days peace of mind, it could be worth it. I would do it if I weren't sure.

Last, I honestly don't know, but I would imagine the valves keep the water in the hot water heater. I don't THINK it will evaporate but can't stress enough, I don't know that for sure. See suggestions above....

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Listen to your intuition. You're thinking about it, enough to post. The more you work with your intuition, the more you get. So git.
Might not see why this trip, but maybe two months, two years from now you'll say That's why you made that trip. And put some PineSol out to make your trailer less attractive to the bears.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The water will NOT evaporate out of the water heater. It is a closed metal tank. The heater will be just fine. The only thing that is not there is pressure on the tank, which is unnecessary.

Don't worry about it, next time you are there it will be as good as when you left it.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
1976 31' Sovereign
Upstate , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The water will NOT evaporate out of the water heater. It is a closed metal tank. The heater will be just fine. The only thing that is not there is pressure on the tank, which is unnecessary.

Don't worry about it, next time you are there it will be as good as when you left it.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. The WH will cycle off as the thermostat kicks in but we are in Summer and the temperature differential as compared to Winter should not be as severe. Plus your WH is designed for pressure retention and I suspect the only thing that may happen is some weepage through the T&P valve. If it were me I'd let it go.

Of course you could always go up a day early and have along weekend while putting your mind at ease.

"...the most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticised."

Ulysses S. Grant

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
E Pluribus Aluminus

1967 22' Safari
1977 27' Overlander
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
The water heater will heat the water to a certain temp (canít remember the temp) and then shut off till it cools... and continue as itís supposed to. It wonít evaporate as there is nowhere for the water to go, as in the water heater at your house. If no water is being consumed, the water level in the heater will remain the same.

Unless there is a leak in the hotwater line, youíll be fine.
Bill & Kim's Marvelous Adventure
"I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries and a reprieve from my obligations".
Procrastinator's Creed

AIR 9218
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Linc , Ne
If someone was nearby you would want them to turn off your propane tank not turn on the water while your away.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Drove up and shut it off today, all was well no issues at all. Thanks for at the words.