Old 07-17-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Unhappy Flow rate from pump

While using the pump to drain my fresh water tank I decided to check the flow rate. Using the exterior faucet, a short length of hose, and a 2.5 gallon container sitting on the ground, I found the flow rate to be 1.5 gal per minute. My pump is rated at 2.5 gal per minute and 40 psi. I realize that there are many factors affecting the final output at any given point - but this is a reduction of almost 40%. Is this reasonable - or should I plan on replacing the pump? I checked the strainer screen prior to testing and it was clean.

As an additional comment - with respect to water pressure - the pressure at the shower head is not anything to brag about. Using an exterior hook-up, and following my unwarranted replacement of the built-in pressure regulator, (---see yesterday's comment) it did improve somewhat - but not enough. I've replaced the shower head but I've been unable to determine if there is a "water saver" mounted anywhere between the wall connection and the shower head. Can anyone shed any light on this or, once again, do I simply need to replace the pump?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Perils of Pauline

I'm responding to my own post with a further dilemma. After running the tank dry I may have inadvertantly allowed the pump to run dry for 5 or 10 minutes. Subsequently, the pump is sucking air and won't hold a prime. I've removed and disassembled it - but I can't find anything wrong. I've run a rudimentary vacuum check on the connections from the tank to the pump and they appear to be OK - so the only thing left, in spite of my visual examination, is that the pump has to be letting air in within itself. This is your standard 2.5 GPM, 45 psi SureFlo pump. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

One thing I'll fault Airstream for is that the pump is rigidly connected to hard piping at the intake and the discharge - contrary to SureFlo's recommendations for installation. The other thing I find to be a bit disconcerting is that there is no accumulator tank installed - even though the Owner's manual states that it exists (---note that this is an unadulterated 2000 Excella,) and that it is mounted under the sink. It looks like I'm in the market for a new pump so I'll probably correct both of these "possible" errors in the process. The accumulator tank should fit nicely, directly after the pump discharge, and in the same compartment under the wardrobe. I previously installed an accumulator on my trawler (boat) and it made a tremendous difference in the pump's performance.

For the "younger" crowd, my reference to the "Perils of Pauline" goes all the way back to the silent movie days, Max Senet, the Keystone Cops, etc. etc. Pauline had more problems in 30 minutes than most of us have in a lifetime!

Old 07-17-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

If you have had the strainer apart, check very, very carefully to see if you got the cover sealed back tight. It is extremely easy to allow an air leak there - which will make it pump poorly and even lose prime.

Mark
Old 07-18-2004, 07:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I'm responding to my own post with a further dilemma. After running the tank dry I may have inadvertantly allowed the pump to run dry for 5 or 10 minutes. Subsequently, the pump is sucking air and won't hold a prime. I've removed and disassembled it - but I can't find anything wrong. I've run a rudimentary vacuum check on the connections from the tank to the pump and they appear to be OK - so the only thing left, in spite of my visual examination, is that the pump has to be letting air in within itself. This is your standard 2.5 GPM, 45 psi SureFlo pump. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

One thing I'll fault Airstream for is that the pump is rigidly connected to hard piping at the intake and the discharge - contrary to SureFlo's recommendations for installation. The other thing I find to be a bit disconcerting is that there is no accumulator tank installed - even though the Owner's manual states that it exists (---note that this is an unadulterated 2000 Excella,) and that it is mounted under the sink. It looks like I'm in the market for a new pump so I'll probably correct both of these "possible" errors in the process. The accumulator tank should fit nicely, directly after the pump discharge, and in the same compartment under the wardrobe. I previously installed an accumulator on my trawler (boat) and it made a tremendous difference in the pump's performance.

For the "younger" crowd, my reference to the "Perils of Pauline" goes all the way back to the silent movie days, Max Senet, the Keystone Cops, etc. etc. Pauline had more problems in 30 minutes than most of us have in a lifetime!
Where have you looked for the accumulator tank? It was mounted on the wall under the galley and behind the upright part of the galley shelf.
Accumulator tanks were discontinued due to the better performing pumps currently being manufactured.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn
Where have you looked for the accumulator tank? It was mounted on the wall under the galley and behind the upright part of the galley shelf.
Accumulator tanks were discontinued due to the better performing pumps currently being manufactured.
I thoroughly checked under the galley - no tank. Note that my Excella is a 2000 model. I agree that the tank may have been discontinued but, even with the newer pumps, unless they are one of the high-price types that don't cycle on and off at a given pressure, the accumulator tank still smooths out the flow. I wish AS would take the trouble to "update" the Owner's manual when they make a change. I know that I have pages of plumbing and electrical data that don't match my unit. Since they use a "loose-leaf" notebook it sure would be simple to update it!

Old 07-19-2004, 07:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Strainers

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
If you have had the strainer apart, check very, very carefully to see if you got the cover sealed back tight. It is extremely easy to allow an air leak there - which will make it pump poorly and even lose prime.

Mark
I even switched strainers to a spare I had - but to no avail. The problem I've had in the past has been right at the nut on the tank side that connects to the winterizing valve - and then to the pump via the strainer. I cursed that problem for the longest time before I discovered that the PO (---or AS???) had left the rubber gasket out!

With further regard to the "winterizing valve" - was that originally furnished by AS or is it an "aftermarket" add-on?