Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Arrow FloJet VSD Water Pump

Hi folks,

I was thinking of installing one of the FoJet VSD (variable speed drive) pump models in my 1965 Overlander (the pump was missing when I bought my trailer).

Does any one have any experience/recommendations/advice on either the 3.7 or 4.5 models?

Thanks again!
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Can't help you. I bought the 4.5 gpm model but haven't had a chance to put it in yet.

The specs look good.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
I put the 3.7 in my 05 safari. about half the noise of the original pump. It can still wake you up at night if it cycles, but won't make you snap awake like the old one.

The wires for my unit were limited to 10 amps, the relay from the switch.
I got the smaller pump due to it's max 7 amp draw. have not had any problem with water flow amount. Showers fine.

The adjustment for pressure switch is easy to work once you find it. It is a little tiny hole in the pump end. Took a couple of days to get the right pressure set, but haven't thought about it since, till this thread.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks for the good information. With this type of pump, would an accumulator tank be needed, or is that redundant? The 3.7 gpm and the 4.5 gpm pumps are almost the same price at Camping World now, so I think I'll go take a look at the size difference between them and the space I have for the installiation and get this show on the road!

Two questions.... With this type of pump, would an accumulator tank be needed, or is that redundant? Also, to prevent the pump from cycling on and off at night, could you not just turn the pump switch off?

Thanks again, you guys are great.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I plan to leave room for an accumulator tank, so I can add one later if it's a problem. The accumulators at Camping world seem pricy for what you get.

I would always put a switch on the pump. Whether you turn it off at night would be kind of a spur of the moment decision.

I guess when you join the "Flomax" generation, the number of trips you make at night becomes a big part of the design criteria.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Shurflo 5.7 in a 1999 30'

After we bought our 1999 30' Classic about a year ago, I found some minor issues with water pipe leaks that caused me to look into the whole water system. We were also getting exceptionally low pressure from the OEM pump, so I decided to replace it with a new Shurflo 5.7 gpm variable pump.

As it turns out, I'm not so sure that the low pressure from the original pump wasn't from a blocked screen filter, but having bought the new pump, I decided to install it. That old pump was LOUD!!!

A minor point: at that time, I knew almost nothing about trailers or any of these systems, as this was our very first trailer. I am, however, a reasonably good 'shade-tree' mechanic.

Attached is a photo of the pump as installed. The pump is under the false floor of our closet, so in this picture the camera is positioned in the closet facing straight down.

I used high-pressure tubing per their recommendation, with PEX fittings at the pump. Where the new tubing joined the old PEX fittings, I used stainless steel hose clamps. I don't know if these are OK, but I'm monitoring them. An in any case, they're positioned so that if they leak, the water will just drain out into the belly pan of the water tank.

The pump was quite easy to install. I cut a wood block to mount it to, and it wired right into the old wires (you might have to check the size of your wiring on the older trailers). The only issue I faced was that I couldn't get the screen filter to fit correctly as the water fill tube was in the way (the green/white tube in the photo). I turned the filter upside down. This has not presented a problem over a year of use, and in fact makes it easier to check.

Results: this is a FANTASTIC pump. It gives better water pressure than when on city water. If you just want a trickle of water, it pumps very slowly and gently (whoosh.... whoosh.... whoosh...) Open up the faucet more, it speeds up. Open two faucets, its really starts to run. Open everything wide, and it hits full stride (BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR!) The shower works like we're at home (bad thing for water conservation, tho'!!!) The pump can get somewhat noisy, but not more than about half the noise of the OEM pump.

I don't think you need an acumulator tank as this things self-regulates. A friend with a big MoHo questioned whether my piping would be strong enough. Well, it was already installed when he asked, so I said "sure, of course, its an Airstream!". And then I watched carefully over the year, and everything has been fine.

Glad to answer any questions if you want to PM me. If you double-click on the photo, you can read my little labels.

One last comment: on our first trip, I drained the water tank on the way to the storage unit, but forgot to turn the pump off. I think it ran dry for about 15-20 minutes. I thought I might need to replace it, but its been fine. I do have a spare pump, tho', as we boondock a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shurflo 57gmp.JPG
Views:	963
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	31574  
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks Tin Diesel, for the great description and photo of your installation. It will be very helpful as I design my system.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
As for the accumulator tank, it is a good idea.
It makes the pump last longer.
It makes the single cup of water a silent proposition.
It makes the pulse-pulse-pulse flow at the faucet disapear.
AND, Ends water hammer, if you have excess air in the lines, and are to lazy to blead em.
Also cures water heater pressure build up, due to hot water expanding.

You don't need one, but you want one, cause it's so nice.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Surge tank not recommended

You'll note this post is a month after the last one. I thought about the surge tank, and went ahead and ordered one from Camping World.

Really neat. Small, well built.
Read the directions.

Oooops. NOT recommended for Model 5900 pumps. What's a 5900 pump? Read the brochure on my Extreme Series 5.7 Shurflo pump.
Subheading on the title: "5900 Series"

Oh well, guess I'll send it back.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:42 AM   #10
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Tin Diesel,

Good to know. I was thinking of putting a Shurflow Extreme™ Smart Sensor™ 4.0: in my 19' 2005 bambi. Glad to hear you have not had any leaks! I was worried of going to 50 PSI. I am not daring enough to try 65 PSI like you! Good picts thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
After we bought our 1999 30' Classic about a year ago, I found some minor issues with water pipe leaks that caused me to look into the whole water system. We were also getting exceptionally low pressure from the OEM pump, so I decided to replace it with a new Shurflo 5.7 gpm variable pump.

As it turns out, I'm not so sure that the low pressure from the original pump wasn't from a blocked screen filter, but having bought the new pump, I decided to install it. That old pump was LOUD!!!

A minor point: at that time, I knew almost nothing about trailers or any of these systems, as this was our very first trailer. I am, however, a reasonably good 'shade-tree' mechanic.

Attached is a photo of the pump as installed. The pump is under the false floor of our closet, so in this picture the camera is positioned in the closet facing straight down.

I used high-pressure tubing per their recommendation, with PEX fittings at the pump. Where the new tubing joined the old PEX fittings, I used stainless steel hose clamps. I don't know if these are OK, but I'm monitoring them. An in any case, they're positioned so that if they leak, the water will just drain out into the belly pan of the water tank.

The pump was quite easy to install. I cut a wood block to mount it to, and it wired right into the old wires (you might have to check the size of your wiring on the older trailers). The only issue I faced was that I couldn't get the screen filter to fit correctly as the water fill tube was in the way (the green/white tube in the photo). I turned the filter upside down. This has not presented a problem over a year of use, and in fact makes it easier to check.

Results: this is a FANTASTIC pump. It gives better water pressure than when on city water. If you just want a trickle of water, it pumps very slowly and gently (whoosh.... whoosh.... whoosh...) Open up the faucet more, it speeds up. Open two faucets, its really starts to run. Open everything wide, and it hits full stride (BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR!) The shower works like we're at home (bad thing for water conservation, tho'!!!) The pump can get somewhat noisy, but not more than about half the noise of the OEM pump.

I don't think you need an acumulator tank as this things self-regulates. A friend with a big MoHo questioned whether my piping would be strong enough. Well, it was already installed when he asked, so I said "sure, of course, its an Airstream!". And then I watched carefully over the year, and everything has been fine.

Glad to answer any questions if you want to PM me. If you double-click on the photo, you can read my little labels.

One last comment: on our first trip, I drained the water tank on the way to the storage unit, but forgot to turn the pump off. I think it ran dry for about 15-20 minutes. I thought I might need to replace it, but its been fine. I do have a spare pump, tho', as we boondock a lot.
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Tin Diesel,
If you want to eliminate more pump noise then put a sheet of neoprene foam between the floor of the trailer and the board you mounted the pump to.
Don't screw the two together, just use some two sided tape.
This reduced pump noise from my OEM pump by about 75%.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Also PEX pipe can withstand extreme pressure.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
50 PSI in your water system is fine, 65PSI should work also as these systems are pressure tested (or at least they say so) to 120 PSI.

Your results may vary .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
50 PSI in your water system is fine, 65PSI should work also as these systems are pressure tested (or at least they say so) to 120 PSI.

Your results may vary .
This week I had a couple of leaks that I had to fix, both from my moving things around (water heater replacement). After the repair I hooked up to pressure - no problem. I now have a combo of copper and PEX.
Out of curiosity I checked my pressure at the faucet supplying the trailer - 100 lbs. I don't know what my trailer regulator is set to, I have to find an adaptor to hook up the guage inside. It'll be interesting to see.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The Accumlator took care of my hammering problem. Lets me draw enough water to brush teeth without the pump running.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote