Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Flojet or Shurflo Fresh Water Pump?

We've grown tired of the noise from the single speed pump in our 2007 Safari 27FB and want to replace it with a variable speed pump.

My research has lead me to the Shurflo 4900-0211 Smart Sensor 4.0 or the Flojet R4515743A (3.7 gpm).

I've seen some negative reviews on the Shurflo 5.7 and was wondering if anyone has replaced their pump with a variable speed pump and how it worked out. I've done the rubber mounting pad with rubber isolators and flex lines before/after the pump and still have too much noise.

Thanks!
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I WAS NOT impressed with the floJet. I replaced with a shurflo variable speed (don't know the part number but it was the higher pressure bigger one. I like it very much. I would recommend the shurflow silencer kit, which take out most of the pulses in the lines and quiets things down a bit.

Just reread your post , mine is the 5.7....I like it fine. What have others said???
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
It was a few negative reviews at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-5900-0...5225509&sr=8-1

and these sites. That's why I was thinking of the Flojet since I presume the Shurflo 4.0 is similar technology.

Update on Shurflo 5.7 Smart Sensor pump - iRV2 Forums

Camping World
Hypro-shurflo Llc - Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7 Water Pump - Pumps & Tanks - Camping World
Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmmm, mine has been in for almost a year without any hiccups. They will all hammer if there is any air in the lines and HW tank not full. There will also still be a lot of noise if any of the silencer kit lines are touching the floor or walls. It's a challenge to route them around in the confines under my closet. My flojet had a mind of its own even after customer service sent me parts. I still use it as a transfer pump (sans electronic circuit board) for filling my AS tank from a 45 gallon bladder.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, also, better to mount the isolator feet on the loose side than the tight side. I have found there is a definite sweet spot on torque. Mount it loose and adjust down in small increments while running til it just quiets down. Turn some more and they get noisier. My OEM was torqued down hard by AS factory.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Ok thanks. Maybe I'll give all these things one more try before I spend the money on a new pump. The current one is working fine, just a fair bit noisier than we prefer.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you find it difficult to route the silencer kit so it is not touching the walls or floor, use some foam pipe wrap to isolate it. Also, if you have some pex which is loosely mounted near the pump, it can pulsate and create interference noise with the surrounding shell/floor/walls. Have someone run the system under the conditions you get noise and then physically touch the lines and move them around till you note a reduction in noise. Then isolate the offending area.
I got mine to be pretty quiet EXCEPT when I quickly turn on the faucet full blast. It seems the pump doesn't quickly sense sudden drop in pressure and comes on very quickly and at full RPM due to the sudden very low pressure. It's then loud for about 5 seconds till it brings up the pressure and the motor begins to slow down.

The cure for that is......don't turn on the water full blast! It wastes tank water anyway.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I got mine to be pretty quiet EXCEPT when I quickly turn on the faucet full blast..........The cure for that is......don't turn on the water full blast! It wastes tank water anyway.
I replaced the stock pump installed by AS in our 2005 AS LYG MH with the Flojet Sensor VSD 4.5 and have been very happy with it. At low demand, such as when running water through our two stage water purification system, or when running a low flow for washing hands, etc., the pump purrs on and off very softly.

On the other hand, when demand is suddenly high, like when flushing the toilet, the noise level increases. One way to reduce this is to slightly close down the valve leading to the toilet (which, unfortunately, makes for less thorough flushing of TP down into the holding tank).

Anyways, we are having good luck with our Flojet, after 4 years and 17,000 miles of travel, including letting it run dry for four hours straight several weeks ago. (Still functions well, does not seem to have affected it.)
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
Just replaced the original (73) with the Shurflow

so far good.
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote