Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Flo-Jet quiet pump control??

Camping World is offering a Flo-Jet quiet pump control device for $90. The description reads:

"Eliminate pulsation, surges and noisy cycling from your water pump.

Converts standard water pumps to variable speed drive to provide smooth water flow, just like at home. Automatically senses pressure variances and adjusts flow in real time. As demand decreases, the pump motor slows down. Quiet operation eliminates noise associated with water hammer. Eliminates need for space-consuming accumulator tank. Runs on 12 or 24 volts. Easy to install; inlet hose and fittings included. Works on most water pumps rated 3-12 amps with pressures 30-65 psi. Not compatible with Flojet 4405/4406 and Jabsco 31295/31395 series pumps. Rated 12 amps @ 12 volts; 6 amps @ 24 volts. Mfr. 1 year limited warranty."

We find the recycling noise of our water pump very, very annoying. I had been thinking that an accumulation tank would help, but that the size of such a device might be the limiting factor.

Now I wonder if this Flo-Jet device would be a superior solution. Does anyone have experience, advice, or opinions on the Flo-Jet or similar products? Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #2

1987 32' Excella
Covington , Tennessee
I have seen that product as well. I just put in a new Flojet VSD pump, which incorporates the same technology as in the unit you are talking about, but obviously built into the pump.

If the external device works as well as the VSD pump you will love it, as it makes the water flow very smooth and the pump barely runs, especially when using a single faucet at a time.

BTW, the pump itself is $130-$150 depending on which one is on sale, so unless you've bought a new pump recently it hardly seems worth adding a $90 control to an old pump.
jdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdriver
If the external device works as well as the VSD pump you will love it, as it makes the water flow very smooth and the pump barely runs, especially when using a single faucet at a time.

BTW, the pump itself is $130-$150 depending on which one is on sale, so unless you've bought a new pump recently it hardly seems worth adding a $90 control to an old pump.
Thanks for the input. Since our AS is brand new, my thought was to add this control in line with the existing pump, provided that there is room. I'll have to do more research but your comments are very encouraging.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
I have the flo-jet VSD pump, and it did get rid of half of the water hammer.
Still bumps to a stop. The next purchase is the accumulator tank to finish the job. To get city water smooth, you need both items, VSD and accumulator.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
We have an 05 25' Safari and experienced a lot of rattling noise from the water supply system. The problem is the lack of flexible connections between the water pump and the piping system. Although the pump manufacturer specifies the flexible connection, Airstream doesn't do it that way. The dealer I purchased the new AS from attempted to apply some padding around the piping, but tested it without water and pronounced it "fixed". The next time the system was used with water, the noise was just as bad as before.

Following the mfr's instructions, I purchased two flex connectors at the local hardware store (less than $10), installed them myself, and all of the rattling pipe noise disappeared - almost like it should have been installed that way from the factory!! (Please listen, Airstream!)

I also installed a small accumulator which reduces pump activity when using small amounts of water, and I reoriented the pump to make it easier to clean the filter!

In spite of the minor problems found and corrected, it has been a pleasure owning this AS. Good luck with yours!

-Larry
lwp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Larry,

If you could possibly take a few photos of what you have done and post them, I'm sure that we could all profit from your effort.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Here is a picture of the installation showing the flex hoses and the accumulator (which requires another hose) located under the closet in my unit. Hoses go:
  • from the trailer supply to the pump's filter.
  • from the pump to the accumulator
  • from the accumulator back to the water system
I did all of this without changing any of the factory original fittings. However, I rotated the pump to make easier access for filter maintenance and to the pump adjustment screw (see the instructions that come with the pump). There are adaptors that come with the accumulator for making connections to different fitting types. It wasn't difficult, but remember to use the plumbers tape at the connections to prevent leaks!

Good luck!

-Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water pump flex connection pb.jpg
Views:	1997
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	29771  
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have found that isolating the pump from the floor or whatever it's mounted on helps a lot. I used a weatherstrip type of foam to do this. Also isolate hoses where they contact floor or cabinets - these can transfer a lot of vibration/sound.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Larry,

Looks neat and seems like a doable project for even the plumbing-challenged.

Sorry to keep bugging you with questions, but could you please give the manufacturer of the accumulator? Where did you purchase it and how much did it cost?

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 12-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
The manufacturer for both the pump and accumulator is Sure-Flo. I discovered it when reading the pump instructions that came with the trailer. That's where I also read about the specifications for the flex connections.

I don't like plumbing, but found it to be an easy installation - other than the body contortions required to work in the tight space. Price is under $40 from Camping World (Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Camping World); I got mine at a local RV store.

Regarding insulation between piping, pump, and the hard surfaces: agreed that it will help, but that's all the dealer did and the pipes still rattled LOUDLY!! It wasn't possible to install insulation at all points the piping runs through the trailer. The instructions for the pump indicate the base insulation should not be over compressed; the mfr is definitely aware of the need for vibration isolation.

Installing the flex connectors made the significant change. Adding the accumulator lessened the amount of pump run time under low load (getting a glass of water or a quick rinse of the toilet). At the $40 price (plus the extra flex hose, it was worth the cost, but you may want to see how the flex connectors work before making the switch.

-Larry
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
I installed the Shurflo Smart Sensor 4 following Shurflo’s recommendation to use flexible hose. I didn’t know that Airstream doesn’t follow this advice.

Besides the shut off at the holding tank there is another bypass plumbed in that allows anti freeze to be suctioned into the lines easily.

It works. I think it took only a minute or so for the lines to be filled.

A QUESTION for any out there that may have installed this VSD pump:

One of the cheap plastic line connectors on the Shurflo leaks, no matter what I use, Teflon or pipe thread goo.

Anybody out there have a solution?

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote