Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
Electric Water heater on 56 Safari

Who would have thought that after 53 yrs my electric hot water heater would finally give up the ghost?? We only use the hot water to wash dishes and our face and hands.
For the techie types here are the specs. It is probably a 5-6 gallon tank, running off of 110v and using less than 25 amps. I know this because I still have the original screw in fuses the and highest amperage protection is 25 amps. It puts out about 1000 watts.
So now I am faced with replacing this heater with another electric that fits in the space under the right bunk bed, appropriately 13 inches tall.
I am thinking tankless as there are quite a few "small" models that would work back there. I am told that it does not have to be under either of the sinks to still supply hot water.
Any suggestions? Anyone have a 1956 Payne Hot Water heater that still works???
Thanks,
Rick
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Yes,

I have the orginal Payne in my '56 Overlander. I have not tested it but given the non-use of the trailer for so many years, I would be willing to bet that it still works. I am going to try it out soon.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Original ALL Electric 1955 Payne Water Heater

Oh yes, I still have the original Payne Water Heater in the 1955 Commodore Vanderbilt and it kicks out HOT water like you would not believe. I too am looking for an all electric water heater recommendation just to be ready should this 62 year old unit decide to fail. Any and all, ALL ELECTRIC recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
StevieB
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote