Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #1

1985 29' Sovereign
austin , Texas
electric water heater???

Hi there. I've been full timing it for almost 3 years now. I am considering going to an electric, tank-less water heater. I am hoping somebody has either done this or at least can tell me some pros and cons of this conversion.
here is something that I'm looking at...
Stiebel Eltron DHC 3-1 Electric Tankless Water Heater, 120 Volts
does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?

Old 02-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggersanddo View Post
Hi there. I've been full timing it for almost 3 years now. I am considering going to an electric, tank-less water heater. I am hoping somebody has either done this or at least can tell me some pros and cons of this conversion.
here is something that I'm looking at...
Stiebel Eltron DHC 3-1 Electric Tankless Water Heater, 120 Volts
does anyone have thoughts or suggestions?
The biggest issue is, will you always be hooked up to a 120vAC power source when using it? Anything that has heating elements tends to be an energy hog, and the information on the link you provided indicates that it draws 25 amps all by itself. Once you have an answer to that, the rest is just details on where to put it and how to run the plumbing.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I only know of one that someone recently ordered a 5W with tankless water heater and after a couple of nights, they had it taken out a gas/electric put in. Their comment was not enough HW to shower.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Our '65 Caravel has a Presiontemp RV 500. Uses 12v and propane. Only heats what is being used. It will provide how water as long as you feed it propane and water. Works on demand. Turns on and off as hot water is needed. Down side is that it uses some water to get started, which is a small issue when dry camping. Up side it works without a generator when dry camping.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Why reinvent the wheel? Remember that new solutions have new problems. On demand water heaters with 240v do not work very well. I just imagine that a 120v water heater would not work well either since it has half the power available to heat the water.

Unless you are talking about a park model, I don't think it is wise to install a 120v water heater in a travel trailer, especially an Airstream. It will be a real liability when it is time to sell.

I would install a regular 6 gal propane/elect water heater. Since you are only storing 6 gallons of hot water there is not a huge difference in the amount of energy used to heat water between an on demand water heater and a 6 gal rv water heater.

Dan
Old 02-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Remember also that the 120v heater takes 25 amps to operate. You only have 30 amps service to start with. This means that you can't operate the microwave or AC while you are heating water and it would require new #10 wiring and a 30 amp circuit breaker for the on demand water heater.

Dan
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Per their specs, it 1 GPM it delivers a 20F temperature rise, and uses 25A to do that... I'd charitably describe as useless for providing domestic hot water for a trailer you're living in. It's something for providing hot water to wash hands at a remote sink or something.

As TouringDan pointed out, even 240V electric demand water heaters are sub-par, I don't think this can compete with a bog-standard 6-gallon Atwood, much less the PrecisionTemp propane-fired demand heaters.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote