Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'll have to dig out some pic's to see if I took any of the water heater set-up we used last Nov at Pismo Beach...

The L5 water heater worked GREAT for our 10 days on the beach in central Calif...

I ended up taking a 2-1/2 inch 'peeler core' stake, about 6 feet long - attached a 'cross bar' at the top and used some SS screws to mount the LR after burying the stake in the sand...

We have a 50 gal plastic tank we carry in our Excursion when boondocking - I used a small 12 volt water pump and a garden hose to supply the L5 with fresh water...

We erected one of those privacy tents (that look like an outhouse...) next to the LR and took our showers there - the water soaks right into the sand down there...

The L5 puts out more hot water than you need, and we had to throttle it way back to use for our showers...it has lots of capacity for such a small unit, and fires right up when you turn on the water at the shower wand...

Our RV type water pump has a pressure shut off, so we could just keep it connected all the time and have instant hot water when we needed it - a great addition to our family camp compound!

I've been thinking of adding a wooden grate affair to stand on when taking showers, to allow the water to drain away from your feet...

The L5 is a great investment, IMHO...we use it in our back yard at home near the pool when not required for camping...

Ray
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #42
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Ray - thanks for the update. I hope you will have some pics of the set-up, but so appreciate knowing the L5 works for you and that you are happy w/the choice! I have ordered ours thru EnergyStead today, he match priced a lower $$ I found (talked to John). I'm still a bit concerned about the temp of the water we will have here in Colorado. The streams and rivers here stay pretty darn cold even in the summer, but I figured if we do like you and others and put 30-50 gallons in a plastic container, we can may be can situate it in the sun to warm it up before we use.

Can I ask what brand little water pump you use Is it something like what one might use to pump water thru an outdoor fountain? or is it geared more for an RV?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #43
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Well, here is the latest update on our project! Our L5 arrived before schedule from EnergyStead (apparently they also have a listing on e-bay cause the card inside the box was from e-bay. Anyway, we have tested the L5 here in our backyard and it works great! The water was on the warmish side when we started at the lowest temp. We cranked it toward the middle and that seemed about right. Only took about 10 seconds to achieve warmer temp. So I think even w/pretty darn cold water-the L5 is good to go. We have a couple months before our 1st outing. We will be playing w/some ideas for hooking to existing lines w/in the trailer & water pump, with L5 close to the opening where prior existing water tank was. I like the idea of a sliding drawer of some kind that the L5 can fit into. We got one of those shower tents from Wallyworld for about $40. and like Mexray will use it next to the L5. With a Y valve, we hope to use L5 both inside/outside of trailer. I will be looking for a longer shower hose attachment cause I don't want lots of water next to the trailer!! This will be an interesting experience-I like the idea of the outside shower too.

How is everyone else doing on this plan?

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #44

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
De Soto , Kansas
L5 mounting

Here's a thought for the mounting. Drawer style but with a bottom that drops down to make it hang vertical The "back" of the drawer would keep the weather out when in use, and the depth of the drawer could be made deeper/longer to keep the unit away from the side of the camper if needed. the "bottom" could even be set an inch or so off the bottom to run the plumbing and gas lines behind the unit away from the heat.
vigness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
where will all that water go?

I have read this thread all the way to this 4th page. I think this portable tankless water heater is a great idea.

However, I also just read on another thread about even though these tankless water heaters are great, think how much water will be used and needing to be stored in the grey water tank if you want to take a long shower!

So, maybe the little 6-gallon tanks and the "navy showers" with water on and off might seem more sensible when boon-docking and when even at an rv-park since one would have to empty the grey-water sooner from using so much water with the tankless system.

Brian
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #46
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Brian - nice of you to join the discussion. OK here are my thoughts. When camping, it is almost a necessity to think in terms of conservation all the way around. We bought the Eccotemp and a nice little shower tent, but we will still be thinking in terms of very little water use. The 'grey' water for our shower would end up going to ground since it would be outside the trailer, but we use a biodegradable soap and on/off switch on showerhead. Insider the trailer, I will use the Eccotemp hot water to wash up dishes inside, again on/off as needed. So far we haven't filled our grey tank completely when camping. Another idea would be the blue moveable waste tanks for extra grey water??! We ended up getting the Eccotemp because we didn't like how much room the 6 gallon hot water tank took up under our gaucho and even with the bypass valve and draining, our new tank froze and split. Now we just unhook the Eccotemp when we finish camp trip and take home w/us.

By the way, so far we have just bungeed the L5 to the back door of our Tahoe to use w/shower. Have not connected thru trailer tank door to inside yet. Still working those details out.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #47
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
One situation to consider is that some campgrounds do not allow outdoor showers or any arrangement that allows shower water to fall upon the soil. I am staying in such a place later this summer.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I bought an L10...

I have been considering the use of a tankless water heater too. I have had a hard time making up my mind which unit to try. I finally settled on an EccoTemp LPG-L10 unit. It is bigger unit than the L5 model and has a larger heating capacity. I am intending on using hot water to heat my Airstream so I need a larger unit. Here is the ebay link where I bought my unit. I was disappointed to discover that the L10-AC unit has been discontinued. I mentioned earlier in this thread that it had an electric freeze protection circuit. I will have to deal with that issue in another way. When taking into account shipping costs this site seems to be the best deal that I could find.

EccoTemp LPG L10 Outside Gas Tankless Water Heater. NIB - eBay (item 250640997907 end time Jul-27-10 13:09:00 PDT)

One reason that I decided on an EccoTemp model was that I was actually able to find someone that I could talk to at the other end of a phone line. This unit is not that much more expensive than the L5. I paid a total of $197 with shipping. I think the unit got to me in less than one week after I ordered it. There is a small ding on the front of the case that looks like it might have happened during shipment but I decided not to request a replacement because I am intending to mount the unit in such a way that most of the case will be visible anyway.

So where am I going to mount it? It will definitely be outside somewhere. I first thought that I could make an enclosure to mount it on the back bumper. I took a closer look though and discovered that there was not as much room back there as I had thought. Now I am considering two other locations. By the way I am doing a complete interior remodel on my unit so I am free to think about mounting the heater in just about any place that I want to. I can route my plumbing to most anywhere.

One location would be to mount the unit on the front of my Airstream. I could possibly move the propane tanks a little further forward so as to create enough space between them and the trailer body but it is a little tight there. Also it might be better to have a little more separation between the unit and the propane tanks. I am not convinced that is a serious issue though since my propane BBQ burners are only about 6" to 8" above the top of the propane tank that supplies them. In any case I would like to avoid having to move the propane tanks so I am looking at possibly mounting the water heater on the front of the trailer but over to one side rather than in the middle. What I am not sure about is whether this might be in the way for tighter turns when I am towing. I will have to take some measurements.

One other place that I am considering is on the street side just in front of the wheel wells. There is some space there that will be behind some of the kitchen cabinetry where I could create a sort of drawer to store the unit. The idea would be something like what was mentioned earlier in this thread about having a drawer of sorts. In my case I have the space to store the unit upright. The total depth of the unit is about 8" so I could picture having a metal box into which the unit would slide when not in use that was less than 12" deep. I am considering different options as to whether or not I would need a door on the this space or if the front of the draw could just be the door when it is closed.

My thought is that I would make some sort of sheet metal wrapper around the unit perhaps out of perforated metal for either one of the install locations. For one thing I want to make sure that the unit is not too easy to detach and steal. Also if it is permanently mounted out front I would like a little more protection for it in that specific location.

I will post more information about my progress when I have something to report.

Malcolm
Old 10-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
its been a while since this thread was active...how about some comments on the Marey type water heater from someone who has used it for a little time.
I saw one installed in a 50s Spartan this weekend and was told it worked great.
I am thinking it could go in the bath closet where my Atwood is now, with the outside vent and maybe add a roof vent as well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
moab , Utah
I just removed an old Bowen that has a hole in the bottom of the tank from corrosion.Found this tread an am thinking of installing one of these tankless units inside my trailer hooked up to the hot water system. I feel if I have it properly vented and enclosed in a sheet metal closet with a well insulated exhaust pipe,it should be OK. After all,just how long and often is hot water really needed for a quick shower and a few dishes? I'm looking at a Maery or EZ because of the round exhaust on the top.Anyone have other thoughts?
eddiemoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I guess you guys have a death wish!

I've said this numerous times: THERE ARE ONLY 2 LP TANKLESS WATER HEATERS THAT ARE RVIA APPROVED FOR USE IN MOTOR HOMES OR CAMPING TRAILERS!

#1: RV-500 by Precision Temp..approx. cost............$1200

#2: Model 1GWH by Girard RV Products.....................700

The Girard is new to the market. I have one on order and will report on it's operation after I bench test it. I currently have 4 clients that have this unit on order. It is a direct replacement for a standard 10 gallon RV water heater.

ALL OTHER TANKLESS UNITS, REGARDLESS OF THEIR CE OR UL APPROVAL ARE NOT APPROVED FOR RV USE! THEY ARE MADE FOR A HOUSE OR CABIN.......NOT A TRAILER ROLLING AND BOUNCING DOWN THE ROAD

Take it for what it's worth. It's your trailer and your life.....................
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
moab , Utah
Well,how about this set up?Zodi 5110 Stove Top Shower Heater
eddiemoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I would imagine that part of the cost of the Precision temp and the Girard is their ability to mounted in an RV or boat, and withstand vibration, something that a portable campsite heater would not be subject to.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Any updates from those who purchased the eccotemp or others?
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Hello,

Take a look at this link, http://www.tompatterson.com/Silverst...wforum.php?f=2

This topic is being covered and the post includes photos of the install.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We just returned from a 2 week, Boone docking camping trip up in the Sierra Nevada's Western slope, just North of Hwy 88...

Due to our stay in one spot, we took our 'outside' camp goodies; small propane refer (cold drinks & beer!), propane cook top (morning bacon!), propane BBQ (burgers, ribs, tri-tips, etc), AND our L5 tank-less water heater for showers...

As we were camped above a river, I put together a complete 'system' for the shower...

1. 110V AC pump at river level to pump water...
2. 50 gal plastic water tank...
3. 12V DC pump to pressurize water on-demand...
4. L5 tank-less water heater...
5. Tent-like enclosure for shower users...
6. Honda 2K genny with attached aux fuel tank for extended running...

I found that it was more efficient to use a separate 110V AC pump and run an AC extension cord from the genny, than to use the 12V DC pump in double service - the run for the low voltage cable was just too far, resulting in voltage drop and a decreased pumping rate...

The AC pump also did double duty of refilling the AS's fresh water tank - I used a carbon inline filter and a slug of Clorex bleach to help purify the water used for non-drinking purposes...

Our camp spot above the river with peat-like soil allowed run off water to be quickly absorbed without draining back to the river - I'm sure the Firs, Cedars, and Alders nearby appreciated the small summer sip of water!

The 'water works' system worked great, with plenty of hot water for our group of nine campers...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp AS.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	138093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower Set-up.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	138094  

Name:	Genny 2K.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	138095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	138096  

Name:	12 volt pump.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	138097  
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Just getting to your tankless water heater post. Wondering, has anyone switched out their existing Atwood tank water heater for this tankless?
Looking at the video, in order for the Marey tankless to work in an Airstream, you'd either have to do quite a bit of modifications to Airstream, or is the Marey able to be installed on it's side, so venting could be accomplished?
Love to know if anyone has made this change to tankless. If anyone has, can you tell a difference in LP usage? More propane? Less propane?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
It won"t work on it's side, it must be upright.
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #59

1974 31' Sovereign
mogadore , Ohio
anyone have any pictures of their Marey water heater installed? I bought one for my Airstream ( different Brand) and I ran the water lines.The only thing I havent figured out yet is how to vent it. Should I go through the Roof or put a 90 on it and take it out the side. I posted pictures of mine hanging on the wall on a thread the other day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	167563  
Marchok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Marchok, follow the mfrs instructions about venting, tankless put out a lot of exhaust. You should also think about intake air as they need a lot of combustion air too. I'm speaking from experience with on demand in dwellings, not in trailers, but I imagine they're similar. We just had an Atwood 6 gal with electronic start installed, rather pleased with the performance.