Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #29
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Karen (Prudence) thanks for all that info! We are trying to come up w/a plan for setting up the Eccotemp outside and sheltering from elements a bit. I have to agree on the "tent camp in winter" thoughts. Here in Colorado, it can feel like winter in summer!! We just did a short trip up to the foothills above Boulder and our 1st nite was 29degrees w/sleet/snow mix, brrrrrr. My last tent camp was several years ago in about the same area in July. We had almost continuous cold rain, they wouldn't allow a campfire because of drought conditions, and everything I owned got wet. That was when I said, enough......and we got the "Moonunit" I love that trailer!!!!!

Anyway, I am also curious - when tent camping and using the Eccotemp how do you pump the water and where does the continuous water come from? Are you drawing it from a creek? I think I saw a pic on the internet of a Coleman unit that they did that with, but I didn't like the unit cause it had a faucet attached. Thanks for all!

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
We usually have waterpoints available at SCA events so we just hook it up to a hose. There's a demo video on Ebay that shows how this works. I've seen the Coleman unit at The Pennsic War (an SCA event) and it too can be hooked up to a hose but I don't know how well it works. That group has been using it for a couple of years so I assume it's OK.

If we're at a site without water we bring it in using 5 gallon water cans and simply heat the water on the stove then clean up in our tent using a basin. We've used solar bags too, they work pretty well if the sun's out but you don't have warm water 'til afternoon.

We belong to the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Assoc. of America) which owns many claims throughout the US. As members we can camp free for up to 2 weeks on the claims but it's strictly pack in your fresh water/pack out your trash so we're very resourceful in creating our comforts. We've talked about coming up with a way to pump water from a 55 gallon drum but I suspect that will be way too cumbersome.

My sister (Foiled Again) says I'm the "Heir Apparent" for her Airstream...hmmm!
BAD GIRL...BAD, BAD GIRL!

Karen
PS, My son and his family live in Grand Juction, CO. It's a really beautiful area with Utah just a hop, skip and a jump away.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
just wondering if anyone has done anymore work with this. I am doing a complete overhual on a '63 Bambi and just pulled my Bowen wh, maybe forever. I like the idea of on demand hw and the size of these units. I may do the same as other...outside hookup may be the answer, just not the one I wanted to hear.

My thoughts are to weld a post to the bumper and have the unit premounted in a housing for protection and when you reach your destination, attach water and gas and you are ready to go. Again, I am not crazy about it being outside the structure but if there is no other safe way to do it...

I may jump the gun and get it just so I can play with it. I am in the beginning stages of a floor replacement and frame repair, so I don't need it anytime soon, but life cannot be all work and no fun, right?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I would definitely look into to tankless. When my current w/htr goes, I'm just going to abandon it in place and install the tankless in the closet in the bath area (which I dont really use).

The L5 looks like a good candidate, just have to look at the venting needed if I put it inside

Al
Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
There's a larger unit that requires a vent. Perhaps that could be the answer.
Prudence-pb
Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #34
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Al - If you decide on an L5 you should be aware that the top opens up like a mailbox for venting and I was told it can get hot enough to melt vinyl??@@!! I don't think there is a way to modify it to vent thru a pipe. The Marey can be, I think, or there is one that can be vented out the top cause I saw a converted yellow school bus on line where the owner had added it to the back inside wall, vented up thru the top of the bus and was using it w/an old claw footed tub!

Kaffe - I am curious too as to whether anyone is doing a conversion yet? Actually, I am just interested in whether anyone who made the purchase has hooked it up to cold water (I'm talked COLD, like freezing). Here in Colorado, water stays pretty cold even in the summer and I am wondering how well the L5 heats depending on the water temp. No use getting it if cold water only heats to lukewarm. :>{

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I recently ordered and rec'd the L5 h2o heater...

It's a well built unit, and I like the adjustability of the water flow and flame controls so you can get the temp you want...worked great right out of the box!

I'm going to use ours in the back yard near the pool for showers after swimming, and for giving our dogs a warm bath...

We used a small Bosch tankless for years in a small Palapa on a beach in Baja for showers and dish washing - it worked well, but cost over $250 about 10 years ago! I think the L5 is built every bit as well, if not better, and you get the auto ignition as well - the Bosch needed a pilot light to burn all the time when in 'standby' mode...

We're going to camp on the beach at Pismo during Thanksgiving Week, and I plan to take the L5 with us for quick wash downs after playing in the sand...we have a 50 gal water tank we load in our Excursion, with it's own 12 volt pressure pump for the water supply...I'll probably just take a 4x4 wood post to bury in the sand to attach the L5 in a usable position - it would look kinda 'ugly' screwed to the side of our AS...

I'll post some pic's when we get back...
Old 11-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudencepb View Post
We usually have waterpoints available at SCA events so we just hook it up to a hose. There's a demo video on Ebay that shows how this works. I've seen the Coleman unit at The Pennsic War (an SCA event) and it too can be hooked up to a hose but I don't know how well it works. That group has been using it for a couple of years so I assume it's OK.

If we're at a site without water we bring it in using 5 gallon water cans and simply heat the water on the stove then clean up in our tent using a basin. We've used solar bags too, they work pretty well if the sun's out but you don't have warm water 'til afternoon.

We belong to the GPAA (Gold Prospectors Assoc. of America) which owns many claims throughout the US. As members we can camp free for up to 2 weeks on the claims but it's strictly pack in your fresh water/pack out your trash so we're very resourceful in creating our comforts. We've talked about coming up with a way to pump water from a 55 gallon drum but I suspect that will be way too cumbersome.

My sister (Foiled Again) says I'm the "Heir Apparent" for her Airstream...hmmm!
BAD GIRL...BAD, BAD GIRL!

Karen
PS, My son and his family live in Grand Juction, CO. It's a really beautiful area with Utah just a hop, skip and a jump away.
Karen I bought a lottery ticket... YOU BAD! But I'll buy you a Scamp or a Casita if I win. Not that I don't love you enough to get you an Airstream but that Honda Ridgeline of yours won't tow it!

For carrying water, check Camping World. They have a vinyl "water bladder" that should solve your problem when prospecting. Much easier to store when empty than that 55 gal drum too.

Big Sista - Paula
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Various possibilities and issues...

I have been thinking about the use of a tankless water heater for some time while I have been doing other things relative to my remodeling. Here are some comments in no particular order or recomendation:

1.) Marey water heaters are made in Puerto Rico - not China as some other units are. Check out their website for some company history:

Marey Heater Corp

2.) Some of the best pricing that I have seen on Marey and EccoTemp water heaters are at the following sites:

Go EnergyStead - Tankless Water Heaters, Portable Gas Products, Off Grid and Emergency Preparedness
Tankless Water Heaters - Gas

3.) Another brand that has not been mentioned here can be found at the following link:

Tankless Water Heaters from EZtankless.com

The EZ Deluxe model is the only tankless water heater that I have run across that has a sealed combustion chamber that brings combustion air from outside. The vent pipe is double wall and the combustion air comes in through the outside of the pipe while the exhaust goes out the middle. If any unit is good for installation inside of an Airstream this would probably be it. The company above says that they are working on getting a CSA certification. CSA is a Canadian certification which is supposedly as rigid or better than US certifications. Their water heaters are made in China though. The company that makes them makes about 5 million water heaters per year. I found out who the manufacturer is and this is their link:

Guangdong Vanward Electric Appliance Co., Ltd. - China Home Products supplier

4.) The EccoTemp L10-AC unit which can be found at:

Go EnergyStead - Tankless Water Heaters, Portable Gas Products, Off Grid and Emergency Preparedness

Could be an interesting product for installing on the outside of an Airstream. There are two reasons that I think this could be the case. First the unit is designed for a more permanent installation outside. Second the unit has a 110v circuit that provides freeze protection down to -30degrees. The water heater will work without being plugged into the 110 volts since the 110 volts is only for the freeze protection. It just seems to me that freeze protection could be useful now and then when camping.

5.) The fundamental problem is still that there does not seem to be any tankless water heater company other than Precision Temp (RV-500) that makes a water heater that is specifically designed and tested for RV use. By the way I did a bit of research on the RVIA website about certification by their organization at their link as follows:

RVIA.org | RVIA Adopted Stds Intro

In conclusion the main issue relative to the use of a tankless gas fired water heater in our Airstreams is lack of suitable certification. Therefore we are on our own and at our own risk if we want to use a tankless water heater other than those provided by Precision Temp. Mounting a unit outside would obviously be a much safer bet than mounting one inside. Also the only unit that I have found that would comply with what the RVIA requirement states is the EZ Deluxe unit mentioned above in that isolates combustion air from the interior of the trailer.

I find all of this pretty frustrating especially since virtually the whole world except the United States takes tankless water heaters more or less for granted. The RV-500 is pretty expensive compared to the various other products available. I wounder what is required to get ANSI approval for some other brand of Tankless water heater?

Malcolm
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #38
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
OK - we are gearing up for our first trip of the 2010 season and I'm wondering if anyone w/the EccotempL5 figured out the logistics of using it w/their AS? I looked back into this post & saw several people grab the idea and buy one, but no one has posted any updates on usage? I am ready to bite the bullet, so to speak, but still have ??? re: how hot the water gets, especially if water is pretty darn cold to start, and the ins/outs of hookup to our existing water setup (hoses/pump/etc). I'm seeing more and more posts of people w/various types of trailers/popups/camper buses starting to use these w/no obvious problems, so I feel good to go on purchase, but would like to hear from you guys since we are all on the same page as far as our water systems are concerned. Hope for some great info!!!!

PS Thanks for all the great info you added Malcolm.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Brooklyn Park , Minnesota
use existing access

What I'm thinking about is using the existing access panel as the water connection and Gas outlet and building a hanger for one of these heaters.

Our last camper was a 1990's popup and the LP regulator into the trailer was a lower pressure system then the standard tank. would there be a difference in a 1978 system between running straight off of a tank and running through the internal LP system?

I wold also consider having an aux LP fitting for a grill there. I currently park my Grill near the hitch and run a hose directly to it from one of the tanks mounted there.

jon
Old 03-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
Brooklyn Park , Minnesota
use existing access

What I'm thinking about is using the existing access panel as the water connection and Gas outlet and building a hanger for one of these heaters.

Our last camper was a 1990's popup and the LP regulator into the trailer was a lower pressure system then the standard tank. would there be a difference in a 1978 system between running straight off of a tank and running through the internal LP system?

I wold also consider having an aux LP fitting for a grill there. I currently park my Grill near the hitch and run a hose directly to it from one of the tanks mounted there.

jon
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'll have to dig out some pic's to see if I took any of the water heater set-up we used last Nov at Pismo Beach...

The L5 water heater worked GREAT for our 10 days on the beach in central Calif...

I ended up taking a 2-1/2 inch 'peeler core' stake, about 6 feet long - attached a 'cross bar' at the top and used some SS screws to mount the LR after burying the stake in the sand...

We have a 50 gal plastic tank we carry in our Excursion when boondocking - I used a small 12 volt water pump and a garden hose to supply the L5 with fresh water...

We erected one of those privacy tents (that look like an outhouse...) next to the LR and took our showers there - the water soaks right into the sand down there...

The L5 puts out more hot water than you need, and we had to throttle it way back to use for our showers...it has lots of capacity for such a small unit, and fires right up when you turn on the water at the shower wand...

Our RV type water pump has a pressure shut off, so we could just keep it connected all the time and have instant hot water when we needed it - a great addition to our family camp compound!

I've been thinking of adding a wooden grate affair to stand on when taking showers, to allow the water to drain away from your feet...

The L5 is a great investment, IMHO...we use it in our back yard at home near the pool when not required for camping...

Ray
Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #42
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey Ray - thanks for the update. I hope you will have some pics of the set-up, but so appreciate knowing the L5 works for you and that you are happy w/the choice! I have ordered ours thru EnergyStead today, he match priced a lower $$ I found (talked to John). I'm still a bit concerned about the temp of the water we will have here in Colorado. The streams and rivers here stay pretty darn cold even in the summer, but I figured if we do like you and others and put 30-50 gallons in a plastic container, we can may be can situate it in the sun to warm it up before we use.

Can I ask what brand little water pump you use Is it something like what one might use to pump water thru an outdoor fountain? or is it geared more for an RV?