Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up ebay and water heaters.

I came across this, and thought I'd go for it, but wanted a second opinion. As I've been told all water heaters are standard and any RV water heater will work in an airstream, im still a bit nervous before I make a big purchase, especialy on ebay. I see some have radial or flush doors, and we saw one that didn't even come with a door. We have a metal/steel panel already for the exterior of hte airstream. Does anybody have experience buying water heaters off Ebay, these are the best prices I've found, and you can't beat the free shipping. thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subur...30992638QQrdZ1

-kelly
Old 09-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I just bought a Fridg 2551 for $600 brand new from this guy in upstate NY.

I'm going there this weekend to pick it up.

He says he has A/C's heaters and a bunch of other stuff, I can report back.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Sounds great.
I'd be interested to know what he has.
The Ebay ad looks pretty good, actually. Good feedback rating...I'd trust the seller in that department.
Most Airstreams have doors / cutouts/ compartments that fit Atwood water heaters more easily than Suburbans, so I'd measure the compartment before purchase. Make sure there's enough depth...and you may have to cut the skin if the cutout's not right. Moreover, if the cutout in the A/S is for an Atwood, the more-square Sub will require some sort of patch or filler along the side.
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Kelly,
Your trailer had a Bowen (later Attwood) water heater in it and the opening is sized for it. The suburban is a great heater and it will work if you are handy at resizing openings. If not try and find an Attwood. The Suburban fits a 12 11/16th x 12 11/16 opening. The Attwood fits a 12 1/2 x 16 opening. Measure yours and check to see where the gas line attaches. The price looks good. Good Luck
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
I'm going tankless, sure they're more expensive, but imagine endless hot water.
They're significantly lighter than a full tank, more fuel efficient too.
Check out the 500 series units at Precisiontemp.com,they're engineered strictly for rv's, side vented, that's my likely choice.
Bosch also makes a 125 unit, technically not an rv unit, but lots of rv suppliers sell them. Drawback is the power vent kit, through the roof.
I gotta believe the price difference for a tankless unit is made up in value.
Jeff
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail
I'm going tankless, sure they're more expensive, but imagine endless hot water.
They're significantly lighter than a full tank, more fuel efficient too.
Check out the 500 series units at Precisiontemp.com,they're engineered strictly for rv's, side vented, that's my likely choice.
Bosch also makes a 125 unit, technically not an rv unit, but lots of rv suppliers sell them. Drawback is the power vent kit, through the roof.
I gotta believe the price difference for a tankless unit is made up in value.
Jeff
Two questions and a comment -
  • Do the tankless WH's work with Propane? If not, what about boondocking?
  • Can the fresh water tank feed it fast enough to provide continuous hot water? Or only work on city water or hook-ups? Again, with boondocking in mind...
  • Endless hot water, but not an endless grey tank...
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Toms River , New Jersey
Shari,
Yes, it works on propane, has an electronic ignition too, no pilot light to go out.
The water delivery speed is dependant on your water pump, not the heater.
The hot water will be delivered at the sam gpm as it is through your current heater.
Yeah, gray tank capacity is an issue. Though I guess if you used environmentally safe soaps and shampoo you could flush it anywhere.
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
ebay water heaters

i wrote in other thread as well that we got a tankless when opened inst. said needed 6' vent thr roof we want a horizontal one so selling again next wk on ebay never out of box will have at 150 paid 180 we had it in box too long to return now so must resell ... the roof vent was an option that since we have dif. remodel plans can't do but perhaps someone else can. alot of stores sell off ebay and ship usually not too bad must ask questions first and makes sure the seller has very high and good feedback.
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
As I've said in many past postings about tankless water heaters (I've had the RV-500 in my RVs since 2000 and have been using the domestic models in my homes since 1990) the RV-500 is the ONLY model certified for use in an RV. Anything else is a crapshoot and nothing I would want to be involved in especially when you consider the inherent dangers of having an LP appliance fail.

Concerning the RV-500, There is a minimum flow rate that will turn it on (IIRC, it is 0.25gpm) and the on/off function is fully automatic with the flow/demand for hot water.

You can use it to take 'Navy showers' while boondocking and will provide as much or as little hot water as you request from it. As said above, it is DSI with no pilot and the burner is only active when there is an open hot water spigot. This is done by a flow sensing valve in the unit. No flow, no operation. Very simple and elegant system which uses no LP unless the unit is on.

Let me know if you have any other questions about them, as I'm a factory certified installation and repair facility. (and sell them too)

See the thread on 'best water heater' for some photos of the RV-500 that I installed in my 19CCD.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote