Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Anchorage , Alaska
I drained as much water as I could from the system yesterday, angled Bambi up (toward vehicle) and level, had all faucets open, pump on, and 3 out of 4 low-point drains open. The 4th low-point is below the pump leg, and was plumbed a bit short, as the hole in the belly doesn't push up quite enough for me to grab the nut with my wrench (or pliers). I can access the end nut, but not the collar to stabilize the copper and prevent twisting. I'm tempted to cut the opening in the belly larger for more access, but know the best way to fix is probably to re-plumb with a 1/2" longer nipple (no time for that now). In any case, I got most of the water out of the system. Question - there is still water in my shower drain. How do I get it to drain?? The sink has a P-trap that I removed and drained... but the shower?? as for the thread mentioning water in the pump, I think I have an air compressor, vs. a water pump, that creates pressure in the 20 gal galvy tank...? Lastly, my Bambi has a grey valve AND a black valve (assuming after-market), but I thought these trailers only had a single wastewater tank... does this mean that the toilet drains to a black tank and the sink & shower accumulate water in the plumbing lines until full? In other words, how else could I have the ability to drain the black and gray valves separately with only one wastewater tank?? I know this is a lot to answer, experience much appreciated.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
This also tends to bring out some of the calcium chunks that collect in the bottom of the heater.
This works pretty good for flushing the water tank.

Camco RV Hot Water Heater Tank Rinser Wand Spray Clean Calcium Deposits Camper | eBay

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Anchorage , Alaska
I drained as much water as I could from the system, angled Bambi up (toward vehicle) and drained level, had all faucets open, pump on, and 3 out of 4 low-point drains open. The 4th low-point is below the pump leg, and was plumbed a bit short, as the hole in the belly doesn't push up quite enough for me to grab the nut with my wrench (or pliers) to stabilize the copper so I can twist off the end nut. I'm tempted to cut the opening in the belly larger for more access, but know the best way to fix is probably to re-plumb the low-point with a 1/2" longer nipple (no time for that now). In any case, I got most of the water out of the system. Question - there is still water in my shower drain. How do I get it to drain?? The sink has a P-trap that I removed and drained... but the shower?? as for the thread mentioning water in the pump, I think I have an air compressor, vs. a water pump, that creates pressure in the 20 gal galvy tank...? Lastly, my Bambi has a grey valve AND a black valve (assuming after-market), but only one wastewater tank... it seems that the toilet drains to a black water tank and the sink & shower accumulate water in the plumbing lines until full, and then have to be emptied. So, I assume in order to use the grey water system without hook-ups I have to have the blue-boy attached and can only generate 4-5 gallons before finding a place to dump. Not ideal, but better than nothing, I suppose. Yeah, I know, gopher hole. Any other thoughts???
Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

another option

I have heard it called a Missouri Bucket among other things. It is simply a bucket with a hole or two in it. It slows down the grey water enough so the ground can absorb it, without making a puddle or tell tale runoff. Micro organisms in the soil take care of bacteria, which there shouldn't be much of, as there is little time for stuff to grow. Note that grey water WILL get nasty if it sits in a holding tank for any length of time.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

With our 63 Safari we would put our bucket in a "honey hole" lined with cheesecloth that would hold some of the nastier soap scum & stuff...throw it in the dumpster on the way out.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBambi View Post
Question - there is still water in my shower drain. How do I get it to drain?? The sink has a P-trap that I removed and drained... but the shower??
Shop Vac

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
The shower in our 63 didn't have a trap, went straight to the outside exit.

With all the drains that did do have traps...I just pour enough RV antifreeze in to keep them from freezing damage.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote