Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Currently Looking...
New richmond , Wisconsin
Drain water heater each time ?

I purchased a used classic ltd in the fall that was already winterized. We are Excited to get out there for a 1st time this weekend. I fired up the water heater yesterday. Do I need to drain it each time we head down the road? I noticed it leaks somewhat around the plug outside. Any thoughts? This newbie appreciates the forum.
Focusfactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I drain the water heater only prior to winterization and then use the bypass valve so that is remains empty. I also replaced the standard nylon water heater drain plug with a brass petcock. I of course use plumber's tape when installing the petcock and found that I still had to snug it up a bit to eliminate any water seepage. Good luck!! Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
We drain it at the end of a trip. but not when we or on the road. The leak is most likely due to water expansion when the water is heated. Welcome to the forum.

2007 25' FB International CCD Solar
2019 Toyota Tundra
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As long as the water you have in the tank isn't something like untreated well water, you can leave it in the tank from use to use. Drain it and bypass it in the fall when you winterize.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You need to use plenty of teflon tap on the plastic drain plug on the water heater. The threads are coarse and only one or two wraps of tape are usually not enough. Make sure you use the correct size socket to tighten the drain plug and don't put too much torque on it. If it still seeps after trying a few more rounds of tape you can try a teflon thread sealer (clean all the tape off the threads). It comes in a tube and works well but is a little messy. Finally, we leave our tank full until the fall when I winterize the trailer.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind
You need to use plenty of teflon tap on the plastic drain plug on the water heater. The threads are coarse and only one or two wraps of tape are usually not enough. Make sure you use the correct size socket to tighten the drain plug and don't put too much torque on it. If it still seeps after trying a few more rounds of tape you can try a teflon thread sealer (clean all the tape off the threads). It comes in a tube and works well but is a little messy. Finally, we leave our tank full until the fall when I winterize the trailer.
Or consider ditching the threaded plug all together. After taking in and out a few times I grew tired of the task and installed a valve. Draining is no longer a chore.

Here is the post with some pictures.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...tml#post915532

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I installed what is commonly called a "boiler cock". It looks like a miniature version of the sill cock (faucet) on the outside of your house.
If you like I will post a pic.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Meant to say that I drain the water heater when ever the trailer is not in use. Many campgrounds and RV parks have untreated water.
I have never had a problem with the water smelling skunky.
With the boiler cock installation it is easy to drain and flush.
It is also recommended not to put RV anti freeze in the water heater or fresh water tank when winterizing.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
We only drain it if it's going to be over a month before we use the rig again.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
The six gallons of water in the water heater weighs almost 50 lbs so I drain it to keep the trailer weight down if I'm traveling more than 100 miles. The water heater on my 2007 Safari 25FB does not have any cathodic protection and I feel that draining the water from the tank will also help it last longer.