Old 06-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
KatCave

Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Does my Hot Water Heater only run on Gas?

Hi- New here to my Bambi Sport 2010 Airstream and still trying to figure out all the appliances. I have a Water Heater- ATWood XT and the owners manual says L.P. Gas Water Heater. Does that mean it ONLY runs on Gas and if I am out of LP Gas in my tanks that it won't turn on?

2nd Questions (probably a blond one!)....how do I know how full my LP Gas tanks are?

thanks so much!
Kate

Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Yes, your hot water heater runs on propane only. There is no electric immersion version like you sometimes get on boats.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
KatCave

Do you know how to tell how much LP Gas you have left in your tanks? I have 2 of them.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Second question.

You monitor panel should have a switch for reading LP tank levels. If you have 2 tanks you can switch between tank 1 or 2.

The better tanks come with a gauge on the top of the tank that you can read directly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
KatCave

Attached is a picture of my Systems Monitor. This must mean that I don't have a system that tells me how full my LP tanks are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7263.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	240101  
Old 06-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Odds are the fancy guage will be inop or grossly inaccurate. Best way to know to know how much in your is pull the tank and weigh them on a scale . You should have an auto switching valve connecting your tanks. It is color coded and if working properly should tell if a tank is empty and it has automatically switched you over to the full tank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Sport models do not have some standard features that the more expensive Airstreams have. I don't know if you have a gas/electric water heater or a gas only one, but if you have only one switch for your water heater, it is gas only. If there is a two switch panel, one is gas the other 120 volt electric.

There are no electric monitoring systems for propane gas on the sport models nor on even the recent Flying Cloud series.

You should have an automatic change over regulator so when one tank runs out, the red flag or indicator comes up, and the system switches to the other tank. But that does not tell you the amount of propane in the tanks.

The easiest way to determine the propane level in the tanks is to heat a few cups of water on the stove, quite hot. Then pour some down the side of the propane tank and wait 10 to 30 seconds. Run your hand down the tank, you will feel where it changes from hot to cold. That is the propane level in the tank. The liquid propane will remain cold, the tank above the liquid will feel warm or hot.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I stopped trying to monitor propane tank levels

You have two, when the regulator switches to the other one, the first one is empty. Fill it as soon as you can. Know the many suppliers charge a set amount to fill a propane tank whether it is half empty or totally empty.

What you have is a " water " heater, not a "hot water " heater. Why would you need to heat hot water?? ha ha just kidding
Old 06-06-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I pull mine off and shake them. That will tell me if I have propane or not. My tanks are not original so no connection to the internal monitor. The shake test has never failed me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
KatCave

More Water Heater Questions

Mandoline Dave- you are so right! LOL...that Hot Water heater was a blond question :-) Now, here's another. Should the Water Heater switch always be on the ON position (meaning the top of the button is pushed down)? Right now, I have it in the OFF position (meaning the top of the bottom is pushed down). When I put it in the ON position, the light came on briefly but then went away. There is hot water coming out of my sink.

thanks so much! I am writing a book with all this info I am getting so I don't have to ask again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7264.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	240107  
klogan1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Kat ~

The water heater light should turn on briefly, then turn off when the burner has ignited successfully.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
If you want hot water continuously, leave the switch on. The red light shows that the ignition system for the heater is trying to light its flame. When the light goes out, the flame for the water heater has been lit and will burn until the water comes up to temperature. The flame then goes out and, when the temperature of the water in the heater drops below a set temperature, the light will come back on to show the system is reigniting the flame.

You turn the switch off when you don't want the water heater to come on. Such times for us are, for example, when storing the trailer or when towing it.

Tim

PS Wrote this while windfallsp was posting!
Old 06-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

This may be of some help

If you listen, you can hear the heater fire up. Then you'll recognize the sound, and know what the status is. Know that the heater will cycle on and off as needed. it doesn't stay on constantly
Old 06-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #14
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
You have two, when the regulator switches to the other one, the first one is empty. Fill it as soon as you can. Know the many suppliers charge a set amount to fill a propane tank whether it is half empty or totally empty.

What you have is a " water " heater, not a "hot water " heater. Why would you need to heat hot water?? ha ha just kidding
Ah Hah! You must be retired from the US Department of Redundancy Department.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote