Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
confused, need help

hello,
i have no idea what is happening but here is a description of what is going on. i had the right wheel up on a 2x4 to level the bambi. legs down to stablize the trailer. not thinking about the legs down i drove off and the leg was forced up when i came off the board. no puncture of the belly pan.

now when i turn on my hot water heater water drips out of the hose that goes from the city water hook up under the sink. am wondering why the water is doing this? the water is being fed into the hot water tank by the pump.

really lost here and appreaciate any help you can give me.

thanks,

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
So sorry to hear of your situation

I have no idea what is going wrong but I am sorry that you have this problem......a good reminder for all of us to remember to put our stablizers up before departing.....hope someone can help you soon!!!! Good luck....pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Is it hot or cold water that is dripping? You may want to try and tighten the fittings it may have nothing to do with what happened to the stand jack.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Since the jack did not penetrate the pan area, the water dripping sounds unrelated. From your description, it sounds like the check valve on the city water inlet might be leaking.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to dhe9
thanks for the replies. the water dripping is cold but only drips when the hot water heater is heating the water in the tank. this happens while not hooked up to city water. where might i find the check valve, would it be in the brass fitting under the sink?

thanks again if you can help.

david
socal
RETIRED USMC
dhe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The heating of the water causes pressure to build inside the tank. Not high enough pressure to cause concern as the tanks are designed to handle it. However a weak pressure releif valve on the tank will leak during this pressure buildup. When you turn on the water heater, go look in the tank access panel outside. If the dripping is coming from this valve, say phew real loud. They are easy to replace (just unscrew like a spark plug). be sure to use teflon tape on the replacement's thead. They are readily available at any hardware store.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If the leak you are describing is coming from under the sink at a fitting, and only when you have the hot water heater on, I bet it's a water pressure-related leak...that is, a fitting is loosened enough so that when the slight additional pressure of having the water heater on is enough to make the loose fitting leak. Try tightening the fitting under the sink to hand-tight and see if that helps. The incident with the stabilizer jacks is probably not related, unless it jolted the trailer just enough to push an "almost-loose" fitting over the edge. We periodically check all our sink fittings to make sure they haven't worked themselves loose... Good luck...and hope you figure it out! Keep us posted...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
One time we were movonga short distance, and my roomie forgot to roll up one last stableizer...I could hear it dragging underneath, but it bent and pulled it over about three inches and even that made the thing in operable...It was hard to take it out and bend it back (we had to hammer the bend out of it) and it was hard putting it back in. LIke us I bet you will remember to pull those suckers up next time.!