Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Chocks for heater above gray water tank?

Are chocks necessary for water heaters?

I installed a new six-gallon Suburban water heater. The instructions say to install two chocks tightly, one on each side of the water heater jacket, and fasten to the floor to prevent movement. Chocks should be about 2 X 2 X 6 in long.

However, the water heater is located directly above the gray water tank. I think that it is too risky to screw the chocks to the floor. The screw tips might penetrate the tank.

No chocks were installed originally. I haven't noticed chocks in any on-line photos of water heaters.

I am considering using a longish 2X4, pushing it against one side of the water heater, screwing down the 2X4 safely away from the gray water tank, and wrapping metal pipe hanger strip around the water heater with both ends secured to the 2X4.

Any opinions on the necessity of using the chocks--or suggestions about alternate chocking methods?

Dean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Here is a diagram from the water heater's factory brochure. (I'm learning how to add photos.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chocs.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	200649  
Dean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Could you just use a construction adhesive to glue them down?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
However, the water heater is located directly above the gray water tank. I think that it is too risky to screw the chocks to the floor. The screw tips might penetrate the tank.
The key lies in the answer to this question: How thick is the floor? As long as the screws are long enough to provide good holding in the floor, but not long enough to pentrate all the way through the floor, your gray tank will be completely safe.

There's a way to tip the scales in your favor if your floor is thin. Once you determine the proper screw length and insert the screws, take the screws back out. Fill the screw holes in the floor (but not in the chocks) with an epoxy glue. Then put the screws back in before the epoxy hardens. The screws will be glued in place and won't come loose.

If you ever have to remove the screws again afterwards you may have to cut them off with a hacksaw blade, though.