Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
ah, good news then. i thought you were knocking the rv-500 in your earlier post and i was going to have to do my research all over again

i'm glad to here you have in it your CCD. did it come with or did you put it in afterwards?

it's obviously almost 3X as much as a tank water heater but sounds like one of those "justifiable" expenses, especially in a complete redo of my flying cloud. expense aside, i can't think of another reason not to install one (and i've read all the previous posts/topics on the site).

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
David,

It was the first component that I changed in the CCD. I have made other mods to the little beastie, and none were 'necessary'......I just like to use the best components that I can find. It's pretty easy being in the RV business.

The CCD came with an Atwood 6 gal. and I like to take looooong showers when possible, so the RV-500 was a natural. It take a bit of shoe-horning to get it in, and a little surgery also as it was larger than the provided opening in the skin, but the install looks OEM and the unit works perfectly. The old lighted switch for the propane notice for the old heater now reminds you that the RV-500 has power to it. Of course, it doesn't use any unless you are running hot water. It's just a reminder.

I've been asked to post some shots of the unit in the trailer, but that won't be possible until my work season is over in May. Just not a lot of extra time for doing anything but work at this point.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
lew,

thanks for the info. i have to replace that exterior panel on my flying cloud anyway, so getting the right fit shouldn't be a problem. your feedback confirms my desire to go with the rv-500 .

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Can you tell me what the difference is between the "Surface Mount Door" and the "Flush Mount Door" referred to on the RV-500 section of the Precision Temp website? Also does the brushed aluminum door look ok on the Airsteram?

http://www.precisiontemp.com/2007_Pricing.pdf
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here are the instructions for installing the RV500. The flush mount and surface mount are covered beginning on page 2. I am not sure which application would be best for an Airstream. The cutout in my 1976 A/S around 16 1/2" wide and 16 tall for the old original 10 gal Bowen WH. The cutout for the RV 500 is 13.75 wide and 14.625 high if I am reading it right. The cutout for a new Atwood 10 gal WH is about 16" wide and 15 1/2 high.

The 10 gal Atwood cost about $365 to $400 at camping world, The RV 500 is $900 +. I will probably go with the Atwood as my replacement WD.

Don

http://www.precisiontemp.com/Manuals...stallation.pdf
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 65
Can you tell me what the difference is between the "Surface Mount Door" and the "Flush Mount Door" referred to on the RV-500 section of the Precision Temp website? Also does the brushed aluminum door look ok on the Airsteram?

http://www.precisiontemp.com/2007_Pricing.pdf
I used the surface mount on mine due to the different dimansions of the OEM Atwood water heater. The brushed aluminum looks great with the Airstream...way better than the old painted gray version on the old heater. I forget which one, but the RV-500 was designed as a direct fit replacement for either the Atwood 10 gallon or the Suburban 10 gal. The flush fit door is appropriate for that application ONLY!

Due to the extra width and lower height of my 6 gallon Atwood, I added 2 curved aluminum braces that matched the sidewalls to reduce the opening and trimmed about 1-1/2" from the top of the opening for a perfect fit. Everything was SikaFlexed in and now you couldn't remove the RV-500 with a bomb!!!

I'll post some shots when I get a chance to stop by the storage place where I keep the CCD.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Thanks for all the good info. My trailer doesn't have a gas hot water heater (or furnace) now, and most of the cutouts where these things would have been, have been patched like the picture below. So I would be starting from scratch in terms of surface or flush mounting, so any photos from people who have this installed would be great! Also, where is the best place to order this tankless water heater?

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2883.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	37870  
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
So far the best price I've been able to find is $879 on the Precision Temp website http://www.precisiontemp.com/2007_Pricing.pdf

If anyone knows of a better place to purchace, or has some photos, let me know!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 65
So far the best price I've been able to find is $879 on the Precision Temp website http://www.precisiontemp.com/2007_Pricing.pdf

If anyone knows of a better place to purchace, or has some photos, let me know!
$879 is a pretty good price....as low as I've seen it. Does that include the door also? I'm getting the CCD ready for the road trip and I'll take some shots for you in the next day or so. .
Old 06-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Yes, that price of $879 includes the door also. In a choice of either white or brushed aluminum, flush or surface mount. I'll look forward to your pictures, I'm still trying to decide between the flush and surface mount.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Any pictures to share of that water heater setup yet?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
Hi is good to know that someone says tankless works well as that is what we are going to, got one on ebay new for only 180.00 but when opened ins. says that model needed 6'vent pipe thru roof, we are now going to resell on ebay for 150 never taken out of box and getting model that side vents for 360 on ebay ..prob. with the first place i couldn't just return oh well someone can get a deal next wk. or let me know if want it it's a Marey propane tankless
Julie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie R
Hi is good to know that someone says tankless works well as that is what we are going to, got one on ebay new for only 180.00 but when opened ins. says that model needed 6'vent pipe thru roof, we are now going to resell on ebay for 150 never taken out of box and getting model that side vents for 360 on ebay ..prob. with the first place i couldn't just return oh well someone can get a deal next wk. or let me know if want it it's a Marey propane tankless
Julie,

Any tankless water heater will not work on an RV. First, they should be RVIA certified (especially the LP models) since they set the standards to which all RVs are built.

Second, the unit you bought will probably work in a household environment, but will be shaken to bits it your trailer. IIRC, I've never seen a house rumbling down the road doing 65mph .

The RV-500, while expensive, is the only LP operated tankless water heater built specifically for an RV and is RVIA certified.

I have used an RV-500 in my CCD and a previous 40' diesel MoHo since 2000 and have never had a problem with either. They are built to take the punishment of the road.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
OK, You Asked For IT!!!

Here are the shots of my RV-500 tankless water heater from the outside of my 19CCD. This is the surface mount door (in aluminum, of course!)

There are some modifications that are necessary to get this unit to fit into the space left by the Atwood 6 gallon model that it replaced. Let me know if you need the specifics.

The large copper vessel at the left is the heat exchanger and you can see the copper water tubing wrapped around it. The LP burner is located at the bottom, and this is where the water is instantly heated as it circulates thru the tubing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0255.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	42367   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0256.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	42368  

Name:	CIMG0257.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	42369   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0258.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	42370  

Name:	CIMG0259.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	42371  
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
these are said to be for rv's but am going to do research also will look at that 500 as want to be safe and before spending 360 on the other looking at that by ways says for rv as well i will prob. go the 900 and be sure. thanks i don' t know how they can claim to be for rv's if not made to handle them but then alot of things in this world confuse me ha
Old 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
water heater

Quote:

I did the same thing, found out I had to put hole in roof. I didnt like that idea. Now i have decided to go with a atwater or atwood 6 gallon but I have a vent cover on the outside and was hoping to keep it but then how would i get pilot lit? Is the switch in the coach to turn it on and off better or should I just get a regular 1? On the tankless side of things I have herd they can start on fire from a few of my buddys in construction so I have decided to stay far away from them. Plus me and my girlfriend will be only using it so dont see no need for constant hot water remember people were camping. I guess each to his own good luck to everyone trying to figure out what kind to get
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Nice Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Here are the shots of my RV-500 tankless water heater from the outside of my 19CCD. This is the surface mount door (in aluminum, of course!)
Tanks a lot for posting those pictures.
Looks great.
Did you get the new Sprinter?

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
Tanks a lot for posting those pictures.
Looks great.
Did you get the new Sprinter?

R
Hey Rob,

Nope! Still using the '04 with 80K+ miles on it now. No real issues except I need a bigger one . I'm about to get the ECU re-programmed for more engine output....up to 180HP/275ft-lb torque with the same or better mileage.

The '07's sure look great, but even with the awesome resale value of these, I would still have to come up with about another $20K for the new one and due to circumstances beyond my control (pending divorce) I won't be there any time soon.............. Freedom sure ain't free!!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Billings , Montana
if we ended up going with a 6 gal. would want electronic ignition, i like the precision temp rv-500 would have to get the winterizing kit since in montana brrr. ..need hot water ! what is this about tankless causing fires? that seems scarey, anyone else heard of this?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:41 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
if we ended up going with a 6 gal. would want electronic ignition, i like the precision temp rv-500 would have to get the winterizing kit since in montana brrr. ..need hot water ! what is this about tankless causing fires? that seems scarey, anyone else heard of this?
Never heard that one.....care to elaborate?