Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
Best On Demand propane water heater?

Water heater newbie here. I want the Truma aquago, but I CANNOT pull my trailer to a dealer/installer.
https://www.truma.com/us/en/products...er-heater.html
I am hoping for some good suggestions to get as close to that recirculating,long shower, true On-Demand functionality as possible.

I am considering precisiontemp
https://precisiontemp.com/products/rv-550/

My brain, and lack of experience, is having a hard time comparing these.
Would love support!!!

Zoe
GiftingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
I have the Precisiontemp RV-550. It's a little fiddly when taking a navy shower because it requires a certain amount of flow to kick on. Every time you turn the shower back on, you have to cut the cold water off until the heater kicks on, then put the dial back in position. It's workable, but takes some getting used to.

If you're doing a lot of boondocking, you might be better off with a tank type heater. We really only get to use the capabilities of our heater when we have full water hookups. And the freeze protection is a nice feature.

Depending on how far you want to go with your project, you might be interested in my recirculation project. In order to get hot water without wasting the water between the heater and the faucet, and to give me a way to heat my fresh tank with propane while off-grid, I added a return line to one of the fittings in my fresh tank. I installed a 12v solenoid valve with a momentary switch for priming the line, and a thermostat for heating the fresh tank. Push the button to dump hot water into the fresh tank until the line is primed. Switch the thermostat on to keep the tank above the set temperature automatically. I haven't posted about it on the blog yet, but if you were interested in details, I could get them together for you.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Why can't you tow to get the Truma installed? Vinnies Airstream is only 115mi away.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
If you saw my parking spot you would understand. I almost had a heart attack the first park and swore I would never pull it out until I was ready to permanently leave this house (which is the plan when this trailer is done)
Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Mill Valley , California
Thanks for that info! That sounds like your creating the solution to the recirculating wonder of the Truma. Presently I am plumbing to bypass tanks unless I eventually need them as I do have city water here.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
did you follow this plan to loop to hw back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truma water heater system plumbing- with or without hot water return.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	306854