Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
best (easiest!) '77 Bowen water heater replacement?

After determing my hot water problem is probably the controller, and....seeing how much they cost, I'm thinking about just replacing the whole thing, since the tank is probably not long for this world anyway.
What is the consensus for the best replacement for this 6 gallon Bowen in my '77 Sovereign, and who might have the best prices on them?
I'd like to use the original door if possible, to keep it looking "stock", but I don't have the time or skills to spend days modifying stuff to make a new one fit in there.....
I've got a big trip slated for the week of July 4th, so I gotta get something going soon!

Old 06-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I just happen to have a gas control valve I'll give to you for the price of shipping. It's out of a 71 which the tank had deep corrosion pits on the inside when I looked into it with a borescope. I stripped it out and pitched the tank. PM me if you want the it.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Good decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt48
After determing my hot water problem is probably the controller, and.... I'm thinking about just replacing the whole thing, ...
I was going to reply to your other post, but this post will work.

I go to great lengths to retain my vintage appliances. In fact, I still use all of them sans Univolt. Randy's WFCO unit was too good to pass up.

When I had [recent] trouble with my original water heater, the decision was made to replace it IF the problem was the gas control module (GCM) {controller}. Cost was not the issue. The issue I perceived was the probable damage that would be caused by the unit's replacement.

The way I see it, the tank would have been damaged by unscrewing the old one since it was A) sealed in with mineral deposits, and B) probably sealed in well enough to either bum the fitting removal or crack the porcelain interior.

I support your decision to replace the water heater, in this circumstance, instead of repairing it.

Tom
p.s. my last water heater issue was not the GCM; I'm still enjoying great utility from a 40 year-old water heater.
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Good decisiion to replace the WH

[quote=JohnGalt48]After determing my hot water problem is probably the controller, and.... the tank is probably not long for this world anyway.
What is the consensus for the best replacement for this 6 gallon Bowen in my '77 Sovereign, and who might have the best prices on them?
quote]

I came to the same conclusion:

See my 110/gas replacement on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...-new-post.html

Many other threads here in the Forums where others have done the same thing.

Was able to utilize the the original outside door, but had to modify the flame vent cover to make a "bug guard" for the exhaust.

Luck - PM me if you have any questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Hi Dennis.....
I guess the only basic difference between your water heater install and mine would be that mine is a rear bath. I guess I should go and look at what kind of access there is to the inlet/outlet pipes.
I seem to remember a fairly good view of the back side of the heater when I was contemplating a bypass kit install several years ago.
So, other than that, it went in pretty easily and using the original door was not too much of a problem?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
trenton , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I just happen to have a gas control valve I'll give to you for the price of shipping. It's out of a 71 which the tank had deep corrosion pits on the inside when I looked into it with a borescope. I stripped it out and pitched the tank. PM me if you want the it.
I know this is an old post of yours but do you still have the valve or know where I can get one? I just pulled the water heater out of my '72 and the tank seems to be in good shape. Burned the hair of my hands when it came to testing the valve though...methinks she's done for.