Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Bathroom Atwood panel w/center red light

I need some more help The electric hot water heater stopped working after running for 1 day. At first, I could not get the gas to start up but since have that working. The inside center red light never comes on? When the electric water heater was working, the red light was not on. When the gas part is switched on, there is no red light! So, what or how is that red light supposed to work? Main breaker switches are not cutting off.

Thank you, the pest LOL, Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
My water heater light only comes on during the ignition phase then goes off once the heater is on. So, I flip the switch the light comes on and there is an ignition noise that I can hear. Within 3-5 seconds the light goes off but the heater is still on.

Are you turning off the heater after the light goes off by mistake? - I've done that when I did not know it was lit and learning about the systems. Also - you may need to bleed the gas lines of air if you just supplies propane to the system.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
On mine, the red light only comes on if there is a problem and it locks out. I also discovered that it will come on if the tank becomes completely full and the water gets too hot. As I inderstand it, there is supposed to be an air space at the top of the tank to allow for expansion.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I just came back from turning the hot water tank on using gas. I flip the switch (no red light) Hear a valve open and then the ignition of the gas! Never does the red light come on or flicker. I let it run a few minutes and flipped the switch off. All works good on the gas part except the red light never came on. Now when I flip the switch for the electric part, Again no red light but in this case, no hot water either! LOL I have no idea where the wiring is for this hot water tank. I think it might be to the right of the bed in back of a panel that is the back panel of the bottom door cubicle?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
On the newer models, the red light ONLY comes on if there is a problem. On older models, it came on innitially then went out. I'm not sure when the change was made. Maybe Andy or Airhog1 will chime in on this.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Could the electrical heating element need to be replaced?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote