Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Atwood XT Water Heater

Anyone out there tried the new Atwood XT water heater unit ?

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/images/waterheaterxt.pdf
Ranch2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Realize that all they have done is to make it possible for both the propane and the electric system to operate at the same time. Also, the electric element is quite large, 1400 watts, which will take about half of your 30 amp input service to operate. With the AC unit on, you would just about use every bit of the power you may have available.

Nothing wrong with what they have done, but they really don't tell you how they did it, or what the limitations are (electric use) and even the fact that to get the specs they give you, you must have electricity.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Realize that all they have done is to make it possible for both the propane and the electric system to operate at the same time. Also, the electric element is quite large, 1400 watts, which will take about half of your 30 amp input service to operate. With the AC unit on, you would just about use every bit of the power you may have available.

Nothing wrong with what they have done, but they really don't tell you how they did it, or what the limitations are (electric use) and even the fact that to get the specs they give you, you must have electricity.
Sorry, but the Atwood XT does NOT work in the manner that you imply; electric only.

It IS a 120VAC/LP combination water heater, but these separate heating sources can be used individually OR together ....your choice. Using both simultaneously will improve the recovery rate of the device, allowing the water to heat quicker, but it is NOT mandatory.

The operation of the XT provides 16 gallons of hot water from a 10 gallon tank. This is NOT done with with larger electric elements (1400 watts is standard for RV electric water heaters) or more BTUs for the LP burner, It is done with hotter thermostats (specifically 165*F for the XT rather than the standard 130*F for a conventional RV water heater).

By heating the water in the 10 gallon tank to such a high degree, Atwood then employs a mixing valve at the tank output to add cold water to the 'overheated' water, bringing the mixed water nearer to the optimal 120*F seen at the faucet. This is how they increase the capacity of the 10 gallon tank.

I would NOT recommend this unit for the following reason: I get almost a call a week from customers saying that they are no longer getting hot water from the unit. The cause is the mixing valve, which clogs with sediment/minerals from the incoming water, blocking the hot water from the tank from entering the mixing valve, and ultimately your faucet. Once clogged, they are NOT repairable/cleanable.

The manual states that this valve should be cleaned with vinegar at least annually, but the positioning of the mixing valve (rear of the unit) and the difficulty of removal really precludes any sort of maintenance as recommended by Atwood. Also, replacement mixing valve cost around $250!

Not my choice for a water heater.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I think the new Airstream Interstates and Airstream trailers come with Atwood XT water heaters. Yipes.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Thanks for chiming in on this one Lew. Yikes! As I always say. New solutions have new problems. I will be happy with my 6 gallon water heater and my Navy shower.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Thank you for the clarification. From what I saw in the link to the literature from them, It appeared that their "capacity" was derived from operation of both heat sources at the same time, which, combined with the storage capacity, gave them an "effective" tank size of 17 gal. If they did it by increasing the temperature of the water they can do the same thing, and apparently that is what they did. I did not see that in the literature.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote