Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Gsnedike's Avatar
 
Phoenix , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Atwood Water Heater will not run on propane

We picked up our new 20’ Flying Cloud in early June and traveled to our cabin in upstate NY. Right out of the gate the Atwood water heater refused to lite on propane but would work properly on shore power as it is a duel fuel unit. I found an Atwood service shop in pour area and the rep determined gathering problem to be our circuit board. He ordered one and came back to install it but it still would not run on propane. He then ordered a new ignightor and installed that item upon his return but still no ignition. He checked all the electronics to make sure they were in spec which they were except for the absence of the circuit board sending an ignition signal to the ignightor. He left and said he will be calling the Atwood Tech Line to discuss. Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George
__________________

Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 223
Open your exterior service panel door and look at the center of the water heater, you will see 2 red wires and 2 brown wires connecting into the unit, there is a diode on one of the brown wire connections, this diode has failed. Most people just remove the diode and plug the brown wire on the term and the water heater starts working. You can search using the main search tab to find the threads discussing this issue.
__________________

vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,378
I have had this same, exact challenge since buying my Airstream new in 2016. I have had it in the shop multiple times and spent a fortune for repairs. Still will not light on propane. At one point in time, I did the direct wire plug in as described in the prior post. It worked that way but I was told was dangerous since it was not able to go through the fuse and then to the panel.
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 8,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsnedike View Post
. . .
Any help would be appreciated.
. . .
Plenty of recent threads on the Atwood water heater SNAFU.

These "Dinosaur board" search results should point in a helpful direction IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dino...com&gws_rd=ssl

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador
 
AirstreamInc's Avatar
 
Jackson Center , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsnedike View Post
We picked up our new 20’ Flying Cloud in early June and traveled to our cabin in upstate NY. Right out of the gate the Atwood water heater refused to lite on propane but would work properly on shore power as it is a duel fuel unit. I found an Atwood service shop in pour area and the rep determined gathering problem to be our circuit board. He ordered one and came back to install it but it still would not run on propane. He then ordered a new ignightor and installed that item upon his return but still no ignition. He checked all the electronics to make sure they were in spec which they were except for the absence of the circuit board sending an ignition signal to the ignightor. He left and said he will be calling the Atwood Tech Line to discuss. Has anyone had any experience with a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Hi Gsnedike,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
__________________
Official account for Airstream, Inc.
Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support can be reached at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 1.
AirstreamInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,296
This thread is the most current and informative. It is at the bottom of the page when you use Peter's link. Good luck.



http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295...er-179320.html
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,150
Images: 8
Another good reason why we replaced the stock Atwood/Dometic water heaters in both our 2014 31’ Classic and our 2015 23D International Serenity with a Truma “Aqua Go comfort” instant on water heater that is propane only. Saved about 50 pounds of stored water weight (6+ gallons) and was a smaller physical size too.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Mount Dora , stevenwilliams
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 35
We recently had the exact same problem and just before ordering a new circuit board I discovered it was just a loose wire. When I discovered no voltage on the brown wire that is plugged into the circuit board on the outside of the water heater, I traced it back to a loose wire in a harness that was found inside, laying on top of the insulated water heater. It may not be your problem, but it is worth checking out the simple things first.
sburrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #9
"Space A" S/O Registry 11
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 719
PrecisionTemp RV 550s work good too. I like mine.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' International
Denver , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Gsnedike,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Mine is in Windish RV in Lakewood as I write this with the same problem. The circuit board has already been replaced (yesterday). Hopefully that is all and these other issues will not also be a problem.
RChrisClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
PrecisionTemp RV 550s work good too. I like mine.
guskmg
Yup. Best upgrade ever!

DW likes long, hot showers. The PrecisionTemp paid for itself the first time she took a shower after I had personally installed the unit...and she did not run out of water like happened with the Atwood 6 gallon it replaced.
__________________
Rich, KE4GNK/AE, Overkill Engineering Dude
'The Silver HamShack' ('07 International 22FB CCD 75th Anniversary)
Multiple Yaesu Ham Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch, Prodigy P2 controller.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member
 
Gsnedike's Avatar
 
Phoenix , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Angry Atwood Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RChrisClark View Post
Mine is in Windish RV in Lakewood as I write this with the same problem. The circuit board has already been replaced (yesterday). Hopefully that is all and these other issues will not also be a problem.
Sorry Lakewood for your trouble! The circuit boards are a known problem and Atwood may still be sending out bad boards because the one they sent to my tech appears to have been bad. I have been in touch with Airstream and they are sending my tech a board directly that they believe is a “post problem” board.

My beef with Airstream is there telling me it really isn’t their problem but Atwood’s problem. That statement brought my blood pressure to a boil and I reminded the lady that I bought an Airstream not a water heater. If the stock radio in your new Mercedes didn’t work would you take it up with Mercedes or the radio manufacturer? My unit cost more than most Mercedes and Airstream better get the Atwood problem fixed ASAP. If Atwood remains unresponsive they should be replaced as a supplier. Failing that, Airstream’s reputation for producing a quality product and future retail sales will eventually take the hit!

Just Saying!
George L. Snediker
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Gsnedike's Avatar
 
Phoenix , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Open your exterior service panel door and look at the center of the water heater, you will see 2 red wires and 2 brown wires connecting into the unit, there is a diode on one of the brown wire connections, this diode has failed. Most people just remove the diode and plug the brown wire on the term and the water heater starts working. You can search using the main search tab to find the threads discussing this issue.


My tech bypassed the diode and it still would not ignite. Hoping the new board from Airstream will fix this problem!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
Gsnedike's Avatar
 
Phoenix , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Atwood water heater finally fixed!

After almost 4 months, many phone calls and 4 visits to my place by an Atwood approved tech our 2018 20’ Flying Cloud water heater is fixed. It took a new circuit board shipment from Airstream to the service tech to fix the problem. Not only wasn’t Atwood helpful they actually made the problem worse by not owning up to the problem they had with the bad boards and then still shipping boards out with known problems. The new board is manufactured by Panasonic and worked perfectly first time. Someone from Airstream needs to do a review of this poor service incident to make sure things happen differently in the future.
__________________

Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refrigerator, propane heater, air conditioner, water pump, propane water heater Tanglewood Airstream Classifieds 0 05-09-2018 06:08 AM
Atwood water heater propane leak runnersg General Repair Forum 2 02-19-2017 05:44 AM
Atwood gas hot water heater not turning off murphy Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 2 06-27-2014 02:04 PM
Trailer Atwood Water Heater not working? silverback Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 2 06-01-2010 08:52 AM
Atwood water heater "not sparking" Moonstruck Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 0 07-15-2007 12:44 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.