Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Thonotosassa , Florida
atwood water heater

about 1 and a half years ago I replaced the water heater in my 24 foot minuet with a new 5gallon pilot lite atwood unit. It worked well for about a year and then started not relighting. after diagnosing it I found that the gas valve was defective. I replaced the valve and the heaterr worked well for about 6 months. Now it has the same problem as before. Is there anything that I can do to extend the life of a third gas valve, this is getting irritating.
Thanks Curt
minuet7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Debris

You might have debris in the gas line. IIRC, Safari Tim replaced his Ambassador's gas lines because the lines were filled with some sort of goo.

20 or thirty years ago, there was a problem in the propane industry wherein the odorant added to alert you to a leak was reacting with the copper lines routing the gas. The result was a dry, black substance or "copper rust" formed on the inside of the pipe. Once the rust slaked off it would clog gas jets.

Some sort of debris in the gas line might be killing your valves.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote