Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Atwood Thermostat - broken?

I am working on a '69 Tradewind with an Atwood 10 Gallon water heater.
I had something similar to this on my 67 Caravel - with a thermocouple, pilot light and a UNITROL controller.

My problem is she doesn't behave quite like the one on my caravel. If I rotated the red dial fully down - lowest temperature - it would revert to just the pilot light. This one just keeps burning.

I haven't had time this evening to discover whether it would just burn and burn. But if there's a fault on the thermostat I think that's what will happen.

Any solution?

Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	183071  
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The beige knob on the top of the controller has a pilot setting. As far as I understand these things, that's the only sure way to set the control to pilot only.

The red knob, when set to the lowest setting, will run the burner until the water reaches that temp setting, which will still provide warm water. If the the controller is indeed bad, a possible failure would be as you describe where the burner will continue to run, providing extremely hot water. If that happens, the pressure release valve should pop and allow the now over pressurized system to bleed pressure off.

At the lowest temp setting, I'd let it run for awhile and see if it shuts off. Give it 5 to 10 minutes. If you're concerned, check the temp of the water at the closest hot water faucet. You don't need a thermometer to get a sense of if the water is too hot. But of course, be careful checking until you know the water heater works properly.

If the control has failed, it needs to be replaced.

Cheers,
Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Atwood

Thanks for that!

As I said, the one in my Caravel could be turned right down to off, which I would set it to at night.

I will run it for longer tomorrow on a low setting and discover if its over-running.

Marc
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I am working on a '69 Tradewind with an Atwood 10 Gallon water heater.
I had something similar to this on my 67 Caravel - with a thermocouple, pilot light and a UNITROL controller.

My problem is she doesn't behave quite like the one on my caravel. If I rotated the red dial fully down - lowest temperature - it would revert to just the pilot light. This one just keeps burning.

I haven't had time this evening to discover whether it would just burn and burn. But if there's a fault on the thermostat I think that's what will happen.

Any solution?

Marc
Marc,

I have the same Bowen/Atwood water heater in our 68 Tradewind with similar issues, just curious to what you ended up doing with the one in the 69 Tradewind you were working on.
WBCCI # 7096
falcon-N-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Atwood 10 Gallon water heater

Hi Falcon,

I am afraid I cannot be of any help on this. The Atwood I was working on had been out of service for some time. After running it for a while it started to behave itself and since I've heard nothing from my friend - who is living in his TradeWind for the summer - I assume it's working ok.

Since the whole contraption is controlled and operated by the Thermostat they are usually the source of problems - and replacing is the cure - it's pretty much unserviceable.

On the subject of my friend living in his TradeWind for the summer. His eldest daughter was a tad unhappy to be giving up her big bedroom to sleep with her two sisters in close proximity. I advised him to hold a BBQ and invite all her school friends. She is now very happy to be the coolest girl in school! After all - her dad has an Airstream!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

On the subject of my friend living in his TradeWind for the summer. His eldest daughter was a tad unhappy to be giving up her big bedroom to sleep with her two sisters in close proximity. I advised him to hold a BBQ and invite all her school friends. She is now very happy to be the coolest girl in school! After all - her dad has an Airstream!!
PRICELESS!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Dalton , Georgia
Thanks Marc for all your help. Thats a great story. All the best!
WBCCI # 7096
falcon-N-Air is offline   Reply With Quote