Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Atwood on-demand (tankless)

I'm planning on replacing a non-functioning water heater in the next month or two and had been feeling warm and fuzzy about the Girard. But, today I noticed Atwood has theirs on the market. More money but I've had good luck with Atwood in the past.

Has anybody tried one?
apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I'm interested in hearing the responses as well. I'm in the middle of a bathroom makeover and the idea of a shower lasting more than 5 minutes is appealing
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
SLO Town Airstream Owner

1977 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , San Luis Obispo
I just installed one. It fit nicely in the old heater box. Even had the note and outlet in the same place so I didn't have to replumb although I did switch to PEX. I was happy with the heater it worked well but did throw a cut out switch when turned up high. I am unhappy with the rather large door supplied with the unit. It's too large and painted white instead of aluminum. I understand you can get correct door but have not yet figured that one out.
sloprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I installed a Precision Temp RV5000 in our 2012 when I bought it. I am getting ready to do the same on our new 2015. It is the way a luxury trailer should come from the factory! Hot water all day long. It is much more efficient and for us it makes winterizing a piece of cake. Throw the switchover valve and run the water till pink. No draining the HW tank. Precision Temp is the pioneer in tankless and the best on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4245.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	226063   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	226064  

2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I installed a Precision Temp 550 in place of a 6 gallon Atwood. The 550 is a little taller, but fits into the same area and the hinged lid over it still closes properly.

Performance is amazing. Price was commensurate with the performance. Only issues I've had were low water flow becAuse of a cheap external pressure regular which I tossed. The other was low propane because I had not figured out what the switchover regulator was trying to tell me. Two empty tanks don't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Obviously used by campers who want full hookups.
Keep in mind that when boondocking the extra 6 gallons of water in a conventional heater can come in handy.
I do like the idea of demand heater though.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
True there is more water, but on my FB that 42 pounds is more front street side weight added to the heavy side of the trailer. Even boondocking it's not a real issue in my mind. Besides, supporting wife's love of comfortable long hot showers is important to my peace of mind...

Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Trying to decide if I should buy the Atwood or the precision temp tankless water heater. Price difference is about $400.
$700 for the Atwood and $1125 for the PrecisionTemp. I would like to winter camp on occasion. Will these tankless units heat the water enough? I've read where they will increase the water temp by about 80 degrees. Seems like that would be sufficient.
Ready to purchase but looking for some sound advice.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Swahealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Atwood licensed the technology from Precision Temp, so the Atwood unit is basically a clone of the original PT unit. They also have a much nicer silver door that blends perfectly with Airstream exteriors. I have 11 years of use experience with 2 different PT RV-500 models. They never failed to deliver a quality HOT shower for as long as I desired (when on shore water and sewer) and also worked equally well in dry camping situations.

Why use a clone when the original is still available????
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Precision Temp has a built-in freeze protection system. As long as it is turned on and has 12 volt power and propane it will protect itself and electronics from excessive cold. I've bee out camping in 26 degree weather for days without issues.

I do not think the Atwood copy has that feature built in. It's a licensed copy of the PrecisionTemp without a few features. I also liked that I could get an unpainted aluminum door that matches my AS perfectly. Someday I'll clear coat it, but it looks great as installed.

I looked at both and picked PrecisionTemp as my system. It does need good water flow and plenty of propane in the tank to work right, satisfy that, and it works great.

Biggest thing is that my wife loves long hot showers, and a tankless is the only way to get that. Happy wife is s good thing.

I pulled and sold a perfectly good Atwood 6 gallon to install the PrecisionTemp. I did have to trim the top of the opening a little bit to get it in, and move the existing propane line into a new hole to hook it up on my AS. Was not too hard--until it started raining 😞

Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Al

Hate to burst your bubble, but your water pump is located between your fresh water tank and your water heater. It will not empty your water heater when boondocking or at any time. No matter what size water heater, the only usable water when boondocking is the capacity of the fresh water tank. The water in the water heater is pushed by the pump, not pulled by it.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The only way to use that water would be by using the drain to get to it. In my case, it's an extra 42 pounds forward of the axle on an already heavy street side of the AS. The kitchen and bath are all on that side on my floor plan. Guess which side also had the blowout a couple years ago? I'm trying to get some weight off that side as I can. That way I can put some stuff into the closet above the now lighter heater. YMMV.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with the precision temp.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Corona , California
You will love it. We were taking steamy hot showers in ridiculous cold conditions last year in Texas. 30 mph winds, 26 degrees out. City water hose disconnected, running on tank water. Had to mix in some cold water for comfort.

There is an adjustment knob on the heater that sets for summer or winter mode--had it on winter. I believe it heats more on that setting. Read the manual carefully on how to use the heater. As I recall, you turn the shower on full hot to get the heater started, then slow the flow down a bit to get the right temperature. Once you do that it stays at that temperature. Mix in a bit of cold water if needed. It regulates well from that point on.

Only thing that might be needed, depending on your pump is an accumulator tank to reduce pump pulsing. You can get them from Camping World for one. My pump is cheap, and it needs one. On city water it's not an issue.

Wife really steams up the wet bath with her showers. She loves it.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
You will love it. We were taking steamy hot showers in ridiculous cold conditions last year in Texas. 30 mph winds, 26 degrees out. City water hose disconnected, running on tank water. Had to mix in some cold water for comfort.
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered for quite some time whether the tankless heaters produce hot water even when using very cold incoming water (such as water coming out of a belly tank), since we do some winter camping too. It sounds like it works fine!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
An 80 degree increase would indicate a minimum output temp of 112 degrees.

I keep my heater set at 112, for me this makes a perfect shower.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Ordered today on Amazon! $1125 plus free shipping. One small step towards the finish line. So far to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416370422.475828.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	226900

Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Did you get the shiny aluminum door? It looks really nice on my AS!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I thought it came with one. Darn.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I had to specify unpainted.

Call them and they will fix that order if that's what you prefer. They are nice that way...