Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
You will love it. We were taking steamy hot showers in ridiculous cold conditions last year in Texas. 30 mph winds, 26 degrees out. City water hose disconnected, running on tank water. Had to mix in some cold water for comfort.
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered for quite some time whether the tankless heaters produce hot water even when using very cold incoming water (such as water coming out of a belly tank), since we do some winter camping too. It sounds like it works fine!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
An 80 degree increase would indicate a minimum output temp of 112 degrees.

I keep my heater set at 112, for me this makes a perfect shower.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
Ordered today on Amazon! $1125 plus free shipping. One small step towards the finish line. So far to go. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416370422.475828.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	711.1 KB
ID:	226900

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 02:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Did you get the shiny aluminum door? It looks really nice on my AS!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I thought it came with one. Darn.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I had to specify unpainted.

Call them and they will fix that order if that's what you prefer. They are nice that way...

Old 05-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #21
JJA
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Missoula , Montana
I'm struggling with the same decision. Starting from scratch and don't have any experience. Haven't ever owned an rv and somehow find myself doing a full monty renovation. I live in Montana so being able to camp at/around/below freezing can double our use. Don't expect to test it below 20f. Sounds like the PT is the best but I do have a couple related question for the group. I know there are lots of variables but appx how long can you have a hot shower with 6 gallon or 10 gallon tanked system? My wife likes long showers too, so my second question is, how much fresh water should I plan for to meet the needs of a family of 4 for a 4 day (3 nights) trip?

My project link
Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #22
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA View Post
I'm struggling with the same decision. Starting from scratch and don't have any experience. Haven't ever owned an rv and somehow find myself doing a full monty renovation. I live in Montana so being able to camp at/around/below freezing can double our use. Don't expect to test it below 20f. Sounds like the PT is the best but I do have a couple related question for the group. I know there are lots of variables but appx how long can you have a hot shower with 6 gallon or 10 gallon tanked system? My wife likes long showers too, so my second question is, how much fresh water should I plan for to meet the needs of a family of 4 for a 4 day (3 nights) trip?

My project link
I know this is a thread about tankless water heaters and I don't have a comment about them except they seem like a good idea for an RV and for home use too.

I do have a comment on your conventional water heater and water usage...

We can turn our water heater on for the first time (heating from cold water) and it's ready to take a shower in about 30 minutes. I've taken a shower as quickly as 15 minutes after turning on the water heater but that doesn't quite get the water up to temperature. Assuming the 30 minute heating period, both my wife and I can take a shower and be happy with the temperature of the water. I've never tried to measure the water consumption during our showers but my empirical evaluation indicates we use about 2-3 gallons each. I'm basing that on the free flow of volume of the shower head (measured for one minute into a bucket) and factoring that value times the amount of on-time (not total shower time, but on-time in which water is flowing).

As for overall water consumption... I think Danielle and I use our water resources in the trailer reasonably well. We are not super frugal with our water usage but we do pay attention to what comes out of the tank and where it goes. If we don't wash dishes - use disposable plates and cups for nearly every meal - we use about 4 gallons of water per person per day. That does not include drinking water. If we wash dishes, and we try to use water sparingly, the usage increases to about 5 gallons per person per day.

We take Navy showers - the only time the water is flowing is when we are wetting down and rinsing off. I turn the water on and off dozens of times as I wet down and rinse. I never leave the shower water on for more than a few moments. It's easy to turn on and off with a thumb control on the shower head.

So I can't imagine how much water a person uses if they take a long shower. 5 gallons, 7 gallons, 10 gallons? Where is all that water going? To the gray tank and it's going to fill up fast!
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Since we mostly camp hooked up, the gray and fresh tank size does not matter. Propane supply is my only real limit.

We have a PrecisionTemp tankless. The Atwood is a licensed copy, I think.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Carlsbad , California
Jim,

I bought a tankless for my renovation. One of my friends keeps telling me that the extra 6 gallons in the WH is handy to have. I never made the connection though between where the pump is in relation to the WH and that the water in the WH tank can never really be used. Thanks for bringing that point up, I'll use that this weekend when I see him.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Al

Hate to burst your bubble, but your water pump is located between your fresh water tank and your water heater. It will not empty your water heater when boondocking or at any time. No matter what size water heater, the only usable water when boondocking is the capacity of the fresh water tank. The water in the water heater is pushed by the pump, not pulled by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums