Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Atwood HWH model G6H-6E burner will not shut off

Hello,
I've got another problem. My hot water heater burner will not shut off and gets so hot it blows the safety valve. I've looked at other threads and saw similar problems but can't find a fix. Anybody know how to trouble shoot and fix?
It has a red wire that has tape around it so I'm thinking it did not have to be connected as there is no place to connect. I found a scrap of installation instructions that said that wire should be connected to the black or white wire if applicable. I'm assuming it was not applicable. The black plug below the red wires also has no place to connect. It quit working while we were camping last time out and had worked fine before.
I can run on electric if I need to but would like the gas to work. Don't want to replace it if I don't need to.
I appreciate any ideas.
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00831.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	84452  
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The black patch just below the safety valve should be to limit switch. The 2 red wire are the limit for turning the burner offand the 2 brown for turning it on.

Light the burner and before it blows the safety valve pull one of the red wires off. The burner should go off. if it does not see if that switch can be replaced. I say see because I am not sure how that switch is attached to the boiler. If the switch is already loose and free from contacting the boiler see if you can reattach it for a metal to metal contact.

Another possibility. Once the red wire has been removed if the burner still stays lite tap the gas valve with a small hammer, a tack hammer or plastic hammer. If the burner then goes out the gas valve is sticking. They can be opened and checked if you are handy. I have sen factory valves assembled so one of the valves would not seat.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Thanks HowieE

I took the red wire off and the valve closed and gas cut off. The switch seemed a little loose when pulled the black cover down. I jiggled it and pushed in as far as I could, but when I fired it back up the relief valve started dripping after the water got hot. I must have a bad switch. I may see if I can get a mobile repair person out to replace or see what the dealer says about the part and how hard it is to replace.
Just another little gremlin giving me something to work on!
I wish I was on the road somewhere, but have to cut the grass.
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Good news!
I went to the AS dealer in Gainesville and bought the (black patch) T-Stat/ECO kit for $20. Took about three mins to get out the old and put in the new. When the patch is removed, it is easy to see how they go back in. Fired the HW up, water got hot and flame shut off.
Very easy fix, Thanks again HowieE. What a fantastic forum!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
1 month later...

So last nite i fired up the HWH, which I suspected wasn't working correctly; it wasn't! Ran until it went into over temp and then shut down completely. So this morn I checked in on this forum, and lo and behold, the very identical situation was covered in this thread. So, I went to the local RV store, got the kit and put it in (if I can do it, so can you!) and now, the HWH is working correctly. So thanks to all on this site/forum/thread-you saved me from even having to ask the question...
ol' bill the newbie
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
It is awesome the amount of information up here. I always check this site and search the forums before I do anything to my AS. Sure saves a lot of time and money.