Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Atwood HW pilot light won't stay lit

I have an Attwood Suburan 6 gal, I just replaced the thermocoup;er, but still NG.

What might I try?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the flame directly under the thermocouple sensor? Can you adjust the flame a bit higher?
I had a problem with a Bowen water heater, the valve had to be turned just slightly back from "normal" operating position so the pilot would stay lit.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #3

1968 24' Tradewind
1996 34' Excella
Benton City , Washington
I had one that was a manuel hwh it did the same even after I replaced t-couple. So I felt that maybe wind might be the problem so I folded some aluminum up flat and put it under corner of burner between door and body. I had no more problems.

Kona;
Too Long and Too Tall
kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Same advice as above. Also, check for corrision where the thermocouple connects to the controller. Is the pilot gas line clean from the controller to the burner? If the pilot light lights initially then goes out when you release the controller knob, the problem is most likely electrical and may be internal in the controller. Have you tried adjusting the pilot light flame? There's a threaded cap on the controller with a small screw underneath that adjusts the size of the flame. Just moving that screw open and closed a turn might clean out any blockage. Usually, this doesn't happen if you use the water heater regularly. Long periods of no use encourages corrision. Any other pilot lights in the trailer giving you trouble? If so, maybe there's too much moisture in the propane. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
I have an Attwood Suburan 6 gal, I just replaced the thermocoup;er, but still NG.

What might I try?
The suggestions so far may resolve your problem. HOWEVER, I thought Atwood and Suburban are different manufacturers.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Same advice as above. Also, check for corrision where the thermocouple connects to the controller. Is the pilot gas line clean from the controller to the burner? If the pilot light lights initially then goes out when you release the controller knob, the problem is most likely electrical and may be internal in the controller. Have you tried adjusting the pilot light flame? There's a threaded cap on the controller with a small screw underneath that adjusts the size of the flame. Just moving that screw open and closed a turn might clean out any blockage. Usually, this doesn't happen if you use the water heater regularly. Long periods of no use encourages corrision. Any other pilot lights in the trailer giving you trouble? If so, maybe there's too much moisture in the propane. Darol
The new thermocoupler came with a new pilot gas line.

When you say electrical I guess you mean withing the valve body, maybe I should open that up to see if there's any corrosion in there?

THat's really the only other part in there, anyone know about what's in there to check, or should I just replace it?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The way the thermocouple works is the heat generates electrical current within the unit. If there is corrosion on the thermocouple bolts to the pilot assembly, it may not be getting good contact.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
The suggestions so far may resolve your problem. HOWEVER, I thought Atwood and Suburban are different manufacturers.
They ARE different. Atwood Mobile Products makes the Atwoof water heaters and furnaces and Suburbans are made by RV Products.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I had the same problem once after replacing the thermocouple. The suggestions here were mostly the same as above. The one that worked for me, however, was to tighten it VERY tightly. When I first installed it, I tightened it to what I would normally thought was tight. I went back & cranked on it again. After that, it stayed lit. By the way, Andy from Inland suggested that. I think he knows his stuff!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona
I had one that was ... no more problems.

Kona;
Too Long and Too Tall
Welcome to the forum, Kona.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote