Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Atwood HW ?

My unit has electronic ignition Atwood WH. I have gone through service manual and find no temp adjustment. It seems to be going through numerous cycles of firing up running for lest than a minute and shutting down. It almost seems like the set stemp is just above the 120 deg so that it comes on, raises the temp just enough to shut down and then when it drops below the 120 mark it starts all over again. Water does not seeem to be at 165 deg. I have to measure temp to verify that but past experience with regular Atwood tells me that water is not reaching high limit before shutting down. Is this temp controled with a circuit board? and is sthere anadjustment?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
It is my understanding that the DSI models do not have a temperature adjustment. It's a fixed temperature setpoint from the factory.

The pilot models do have an adjustment.

Hopefully others will chime in to help you with this one. All I can suggest is to recheck all your connections on the circuit board make sure they are clean and tight. That seems to be the most common failure.

Good luck!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I don't think I saw an adjustment for ours. The water is "hot" though. Much hotter than I keep the home water heater set for. I normally use the electric side of the heater but based on my voltage gauge I know when the element is active. It doesn't take much water usage for the thermostat to call for heat. I only use the gas when we are showering.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

The thermostat on the Atwood DSI water heater is independent of the circuit board. It is not adjustable, and I believe it is factory set at 120 degrees. I have seen an adjustable replacement available for sale somewhere.

In any event, there's no way the thermostat could cause such rapid cycling unless the tank is empty. There must be some other safety device that is sensing an overheat or flameout condition and causing the on-off cycling.

Ga pockets, you mentioned 165 degrees water temp in your post. Water that hot creates a very serious scald hazard. Home water heaters years ago could be set up to about 140 degrees or higher, but even that is a potentially dangerous level.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

More info: from looking at the parts lists, there are major differences between the pilot and DSI water heater control systems. The pilot models use a gas valve very similar to the ones on home water heaters, with a rotary temperature control on the front.

The DSI models use a solenoid gas valve and a bimetal switch to control temperature. And there is an adjustable thermostat (110-150 degrees) available for these at Marks RV.

Don't know why the controls are so completely different on the two models, but they are.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 06:01 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I think I got the 165 deg from the service manual as a high limit shut down temp. I agree with you regarding scald potencial. thanks for the caution.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I can't seem to enter a new post so I'll take a shot at getting a reply here. I'm newly registered, but have been a viewer for over a year and now I have a request for help. My 6 gal Atwood DSI WH has had a problem for several seasons where it would start and then shut down after a few minutes. After turning the switch off and on it would restart and run again for a few minutes. Then after several recycles it would usually work for 3 - 4 days without problem. Last fall when I went to my site to winterize it would not work at all. I checked and cleaned all the electrical connections, but still it would not work. Is the circuit board the most likely culprit? Do they make replacements? Should I replace the board or the entire WH? Thanks for any and all help.
G-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Daddy
Should I replace the board or the entire WH?
Yes.

One or the other is going to need to be replaced. The cost of the board is in the neighborhood of 183.00 OEM, a Dinosaur board is close to 100.00. A new heater is 350.00 form the web.

How old is the unit now? Has it been flushed each year to cut the sediment and scale? One of the issues with the Atwood heaters is the internal corrosion that eats the tank up. If the heater is more than 10 yrs old I would spend the extra and replace it.

KEEP THE OLD DOOR!

It will come with a white painted door. If you current heater is in that 10 year old range you should be able to transfer the old door.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I have an '84 Atwood water heater. I'm trying to get it running after replacing gas lines and a long period of inactivity. It clicks and sparks but no flame. I've bled line, replaced connections etc. Probably no PM by PO. Should I just replace it? Will the current 6 Gal heaters fit OK? Is it hard to replace? Thanks.
jperryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Atwood Water Heater Operation

We have an Atwood water heater, model G6A2 with ITT General Control, and we're using the following instructions in the manual to try to light it:

a. Turn Lighting Control dial to "Pilot" position and hold against stop while lighting pilot burner. Allow pilot to burn approximately one half minute before releasing dial.
b. Turn knob to "ON" position. If pilot does not remain lit, repeat operation allowing longer period before releasing button or knob.

We can't get it to light. Can anyone tell us what the trick is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater.JPG
Views:	737
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	12606  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Bad thermocouple?

You may have a bad thermocouple. But see if this thread will help you get it lit.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
The pilot disc on my 68 was rusted and was hard to light. I replace the pilot with a kit from the SOB RV place. Took a little adjusting at the originatation of the heat sensor was different but it now light easily.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Our 2003 Atwood puts out 165 degree water with the electronic board and I see no adjustment of temperature setpoint on it. Ii will blow through a lot of propane so we mainly use it on electric.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
No temp control on our unit either FWIW.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
My understanding is the DSI (auto lighting) water heaters do not have a temperature adjustment. The pilot models do have temperature adjustment.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yup...ours is a DSI unit.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Followup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
We can't get it to light. Can anyone tell us what the trick is?
We took our trailer to an RV service place this week to have the new furnace put in and while it was there we asked them to look at the water heater and do some troubleshooting for us. We weren't comfortable messing with it ourselves since we're new to all this kind of stuff and we still have a healthy fear of propane appliances. Anyway, they got it fired up just by cleaning it up and blowing the old dust and spider webs out of it. It's working great for us now.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote