Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Atwood hot water tank - find that "safe place" and need advice...

Last Fall I "installed" a new Atwood hot water tank, model # GE-9-EXT. By installed I mean I secured it in place and finished the outside access opening for it. I did NOT wire or plumb it yet - saving that for this Spring when it is a bit warmer here in NW Wisconsin. I placed the directions that came with the unit in a "safe place"!

Needless to say, I can not find that "safe place"! I am not savvy when it comes to these things, so I need some advice/help. I cannot seem to find a post on YouTube that specifically deals with the electrical portion of this install, so - "hat in hand" - I am reaching out to my Airstream Community for some help!

Would someone please give me some SPECIFIC direction as to what to do with the four colored wires laying across the top of the tank in the pictures - as well as - the three wires at the bottom of the tank? I THINK the four colored wires need to be joined in some way with the control panel shown in the pictures. I THINK the three colored wires at the bottom of the heater in the pictures need to be plugged into a 110 outlet. BUT - I am not sure if this is so - and - how to do either.

Any advice/direction would be very greatly appreciated. I am no where near a travel trailer dealership - so I do need to do this on my own. Should you respond, please assume I have a very basic knowledge and you will not offend me by being very particular.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2177.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	286502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2178.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	286503  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	286504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	286505  

cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Manual.

http://www.atwoodmobile.com/dealer-m...atermanual.pdf
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Manual also available at:

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...-93755-10E.pdf

Cliff notes version, the black-white-green wire bundle goes to the 120v supply. Switch plate gets wired as follows, as viewed from the back:

Orange, lower left
Blue, center (either upper or lower)
White, lower right

Then fused power goes to the jumper wire on the top left or top right, whichever side has the terminal to connect to.

The green wire is connected to trailer ground, and to the center connection on the switch plate (either upper or lower, whichever one doesn't have the blue wire).

Good luck
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you both for your replies. Greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you Jammer. If I may ask, whereabouts "south of the river" in Minnesota?
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
Thank you Jammer. If I may ask, whereabouts "south of the river" in Minnesota?
Sure. I am presently residing in Northfield.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you. I am just east of St. Paul - about 35 minutes NE of Woodbury into Wisconsin. Thank you for your reply to my original question! I have a very tough time reading "schematics" so your answer helped put things more in perspective. I am comfortable with 110 wiring, but 12 volt wiring I can't seem to wrap my head around. Everything in your answer makes sense except that part the talks about getting that switch set up with 12 volt power. I may ned to pull the trailer to a service center to insure this hot water tank is installed properly and that I don't blow fuses! I hope you have a great summer! Thank you again for your input!