Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #1

Ontario , Ontario
Atwood Gas water heater - 'click then shuts off'????

Hi everyone, First time poster. I was trying to troubleshoot my problem on the net when i cam across this site. Lot's of great posts and tons of info but i haven't found the answer to my problem...yet. I have an Atwood Gas water heater 10 gal (bought in 2000 i think). I start up the pilot with no problem nice strong flame then turn the knob to on and the main burner kicks in no problem, nice blue strong flame. A few mins later I hear a click and everything shuts off. I notice that this happens quicker when I shut the door. I had a friend replace the gas control with a spare and it does the same thing. Any ideas of what the problem is and what do I need to do to have it fixed.? Is it the gas control or is it something else?

I don't know much about these gas controls (well actually nothing at all..lol) but my thought is that there may be a gas leak somewhere and the control valve has a sensor (just a guess) and is picking that up and shutting itself off.
kevinyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's is a well discussed thread on this from another site. You might try calling Atwood. They have been more than helpful the couple times I've called them.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: If your Atwood water heater quits, try this...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Must not be the controller.

Currently, I have this same issue. I have replaced the controller with a new unit, pulled and cleaned the orifice & burner tube, replaced the pilot and thermocouple unit, tightened & retightened the thermocouple sensor, cleaned the flue, I even rebuilt a very corroded exhaust baffle; all to no avail.
The first time I light it, it stays on the longest. Subsequent firings last much shorter, leading me to believe it has something to do with the water temperature & pressure. Aside from that I am baffled. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Have you made sure the thermocouple is fully engulfed in the flame? The thermocouple has to "sense" flame to allow the gas valve to remain open. If the flame is not sufficient, the gas valve will "click" closed for safety.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote