Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
atwood 6 Gal LP water heater stop working after 3 months

we have a new as22Fb 2017 model. after 3 moths , no more HotWater

the lights goes on and off, on and off for a few cycles

outside, we can hear the gas valve open and smell gas, no spark occurs
we are on a long trip and its a pain to take it into a local dealre

has anyone else had this issue?
is there a simple fix?

this is the 10th issue we have had with the unit in the last 3 months

is As quality going downhill???
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Is it electric ignition?

Does it have an electric heating element as well? If so use that if you have shore power for now. Can't believe AS would build a trailer without dual propane/ electric water heater.

If you look there is a wire inside the water heater door that runs from the control panel to the igniter. There is(should be) a wire connected in line that has a thermal fuse in it. The fuse is usually wrapped in a little clear plastic tube. Sometimes when the TPV lifts due to thermal expansion of water in the water heater hot water drips on the fuse melting it. This causes a break in the electric circuit going to the spark igniter. It is usually connected with push on connectors so the fuse can be removed temporarily to get hot water until you get a replacement. Sometimes the wind blowing hard on that side of the trailer can cause it to melt as well.

This is what it will look like, you get two so you end up with a spare.
https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-93866-.../dp/B0007XXTVC
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
this is the 10th issue we have had with the unit in the last 3 months

is As quality going downhill???
Airstream doesn't make Attwood water heaters. Attwood does.

A malfunctioning Attwood water heater is not an indication of Airstream quality— which may or may not be going downhill. They're entirely separate issues.

The Attwood water heater in my Airstream was defective when the unit was brand-new, but in a different way. It would heat the water, but not shut off when the water got hot, so it heated the water to boiling. Turned out to be a defective thermostat, which my Airstream dealer replaced under warranty. Luckily before I got scalded!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Any shop that services Atwood water heaters should be able to help you. Atwoods are in only about half of the RVs you'll see on the road. (The other half has Suburban water heaters.)

Lynn
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
there is a diode on the right brown wire. it reads ok with my multi-meter.
I removed it , no change

when i use my BBQ starter to give a spark to the gas outlet, a flame starts, but then goes out in 1-2 seconds when the gas valve shuts, i guess that the controller sense no heat.

IMH0, there is some sensing or control board issue
i will call AS support and ask for a whole new unit to be shipped. the closet dealer is 7 hours away
Old 08-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
@hiJoesilver

i remove that diode like device and plugged the brown wire directly in . no luck
Old 08-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Mine behave similarly with a failed board.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
No spark and self extinguished when manually lit sounds like a bad board.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Why would you not go to the nearest RV dealer and have him diagnose the problem and if new Atwood parts are needed, have him install them?? As Protagonist said, Airstream does NOT make the water heater. Asking Airstream to ship you a new water heater, when possibly only a simple part installation is required is not a smart thing to do. Get it fixed and continue on your trip. Worry about getting your money back, if you actually have to pay for parts, after. A good RV store that deals with Atwood Will likely repair under warranty. Don't make a big issue out of a little problem.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
You could try to disconnect and reconnect the multi-pin connector going to the circuit board on the water heater in case you have a poor connection there. After my 3rd trip the Airstream dealer had to replace the ECO switch on our new 2017 Airstream when the water heater would shut off prematurely. Later, I bought a spare ECO switch on Amazon to take with me from now on and may buy a spare circuit board as well.
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Your hot water problem is with ATTWOOD not Airstream. I would call the closest RV repair shop and explain the problem and they should be able to assist you at no cost to you. Heck you may even be able to get a mobile service to come to you, certainly worth a phone call or two. Also, call ATTWOOD directly and nicely ask for assistance and they may send someone to you. My rear AC died shortly after purchase, Dometic replaced everything quickly at no cost. I did not contact Airstream about the AC.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I need to take mine in to the dealer. I keep blowing the fuses discussed in this thread. When I bypass them, the heater works fine.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we are in sault Ste St Marie ONT now. i will see if there is a local dealer who has the module
Old 08-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Graham , Washington
I had the same issue. I had to replace the control board as it would no longer generate the current for the spark rod. it was only 6 months old. replaced and its works fine.

John G.
h2ocoolerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and I hear what you all are saying about Atwood and not Airstream. But is AS keeps putting equipment in that is defective after a short time who is really at fault? I would say AS, they should stop using Atwood/Suburban or whoever. AS is the manufacturer of the unit and should be treated as a whole not a bunch of pieces. AS looks bad and not Atwood or Suburban when these basically brand new units have problems.

Having a travel trailer shouldn't be any different than a car. When you buy a car and have something go wrong and it happens on several vehicles the manufacturer puts out a recall, not the maker of the part.
If people don't start standing up for themselves and hold the company accountable things are not going to change.

On the other hand, people like me (and others) who are building their rig have no recourse but to deal with the individual manufacturers which is just par for the course.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
AS looks bad and not Atwood or Suburban when these basically brand new units have problems.
I think we might have to "agree to disagree" on that one.

If you take your trailer back to an Airstream dealer, they should honor the Attwood warranty. But they do that by acting as a middleman, contacting Attwood on your behalf to file a claim against the Attwood warranty on your trailer's water heater.

Attwood sold Airstream a water heater, which Airstream bought and installed in good faith, believing it to be in proper working order. It seems unfair to expect Airstream to take the blame for buying a defective unit from Attwood, any more than YOU want to take the blame for buying a defective unit from Airstream.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
called atwood. they were not very helpfull. they would NOT send me the part

took it to a dealer in the SOO. they said many of the trailers they sold this year (AS and others) had the same issue. that's why they had the board in stock locally

the correct part # is 91367 for the circuit board

C$325 for the board and C$25 labour to install.

now i will mail atwood the receipt and get a full refund as the would only send the part to a dealer

we now have a working HW heater. i will investigate the thankless option over the winter
Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Atwood makes one. I have a PrecisionTemp unit. Atwood licenses the design (partially). Wife loves the long hot showers it delivers!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I would be careful about getting a tankless heater. All the brands have been a constant source of trouble in our service department. Though we have had some work ok others never stop having issues. They also freeze and split very easily with costly outcomes. We have actually removed several and installed Atwood's in their place.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
atwood 6 Gal LP water heater stop working after 3 months

Andy, we’ve been out camping in below 26 degree weather with it. The PrecisionTemp has a freeze protection circuit it it to warm both the electronics and the water in it to prevent freezing. Apparently it works, because we camped in those temperatures for over a week with no issues other than using a lot of propane for hot water and heating the AS. I think I heard it come on occasionally, but the forced air cabin heater drowns out most quiet noises...

I do winterize by blowing air through the water heater lines and then followed with some antifreeze to be sure. So far, so good. I have heard that the Atwood copy may not have freeze protection, but I can’t prove that statement. No clue on Truma or others. YMMV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote