Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong and I hear what you all are saying about Atwood and not Airstream. But is AS keeps putting equipment in that is defective after a short time who is really at fault? I would say AS, they should stop using Atwood/Suburban or whoever. AS is the manufacturer of the unit and should be treated as a whole not a bunch of pieces. AS looks bad and not Atwood or Suburban when these basically brand new units have problems.

Having a travel trailer shouldn't be any different than a car. When you buy a car and have something go wrong and it happens on several vehicles the manufacturer puts out a recall, not the maker of the part.
If people don't start standing up for themselves and hold the company accountable things are not going to change.

On the other hand, people like me (and others) who are building their rig have no recourse but to deal with the individual manufacturers which is just par for the course.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons4u View Post
AS looks bad and not Atwood or Suburban when these basically brand new units have problems.
I think we might have to "agree to disagree" on that one.

If you take your trailer back to an Airstream dealer, they should honor the Attwood warranty. But they do that by acting as a middleman, contacting Attwood on your behalf to file a claim against the Attwood warranty on your trailer's water heater.

Attwood sold Airstream a water heater, which Airstream bought and installed in good faith, believing it to be in proper working order. It seems unfair to expect Airstream to take the blame for buying a defective unit from Attwood, any more than YOU want to take the blame for buying a defective unit from Airstream.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
called atwood. they were not very helpfull. they would NOT send me the part

took it to a dealer in the SOO. they said many of the trailers they sold this year (AS and others) had the same issue. that's why they had the board in stock locally

the correct part # is 91367 for the circuit board

C$325 for the board and C$25 labour to install.

now i will mail atwood the receipt and get a full refund as the would only send the part to a dealer

we now have a working HW heater. i will investigate the thankless option over the winter
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Atwood makes one. I have a PrecisionTemp unit. Atwood licenses the design (partially). Wife loves the long hot showers it delivers!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
I would be careful about getting a tankless heater. All the brands have been a constant source of trouble in our service department. Though we have had some work ok others never stop having issues. They also freeze and split very easily with costly outcomes. We have actually removed several and installed Atwood's in their place.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
atwood 6 Gal LP water heater stop working after 3 months

Andy, weíve been out camping in below 26 degree weather with it. The PrecisionTemp has a freeze protection circuit it it to warm both the electronics and the water in it to prevent freezing. Apparently it works, because we camped in those temperatures for over a week with no issues other than using a lot of propane for hot water and heating the AS. I think I heard it come on occasionally, but the forced air cabin heater drowns out most quiet noises...

I do winterize by blowing air through the water heater lines and then followed with some antifreeze to be sure. So far, so good. I have heard that the Atwood copy may not have freeze protection, but I canít prove that statement. No clue on Truma or others. YMMV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
They all have freeze protection when they are on. The problem is if there is an unexpected cold snap when the unit is in storage it will freeze much faster than the lines inside the insulated trailer.

A customer ran out of LP while towing below freezing. He got more gas as soon as he could, everything was fine except he split a part in the water heater that they donít sell separately. Be careful driving in the mountains as you can go below freezing without realizing. They freeze pretty quick at highway speed.

With tank style heater 6 gallons has to freeze which takes quite a while.

I just donít like counting on an electronic circuit board and flame ignition to prevent an immediate freeze up.

Andy

Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
For not much more than $300 you can get a replacement water heater.
The pilot model. You have to go outside and light it. But there are no electronics to fail.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Adventure RV has a 6 gallon Atwood pilot model for $279.95.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Suwanee , Georgia
Ours lasted six months, now won't light using propane. Dealer can't get me in for a month, admits that he's replaced a lot of Atwood igniter boards recently.

Guess I'll spend $130 and order the Dinosaur UIB64 one. That'll be less of a hassle than repeated trips to the dealer. Don't expect to be reimbursed by Airstream, 'though it'd be nice.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Erik. Send the defective board to your dealer he should be able to look after you.