Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Aquajet pump losing prime

I have an aquajet 55/AES in my Safari. It suddenly stopped working the other day. In troubleshooting it I discover that there is 12 volts to the pump with the switch on..then discover that if I pressure up the fresh water system from the city water side, then turn city water off, the pump will work one time. Once the pump is turned off or the water fauct closed, the pump will not restart until the system is re-pressured from the city water side.

Ideas?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like the pump is sucking air. Is there water in the fresh water tank? Check the condition of the hose and the connections to the intake of the pump. Also check the inline filter between the tank and pump.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Still no water from the pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Sounds like the pump is sucking air. Is there water in the fresh water tank? Check the condition of the hose and the connections to the intake of the pump. Also check the inline filter between the tank and pump.
No, the pump will not operate at all unless it is "primed" by hooking up city water and allowing the entire system to pressurize that way. Then the pump will operate normally one time and one time only. Once the water is turned off at any of the internal faucets or if the pump is turned off..the pump will not come back on until it is "primed" again as above.

Any ideas..anyone?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
First of all, being hooked up to city water does not "prime" the 12-volt water pump.
In fact there is a one-way, check valve in the pump to keep this from happening.
Please answer the TGTwinkle question, "is there water in your fresh-water holding tank?"
If there is, please check for a cracked line or loose connection between the pump and the tank.
When you say it works "once" what do you mean?
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you saying the pump won't run? Or won't pump water? Or both?
This is a stretch but maybe the inlet and outlet are connected backwards and it's pumping water into the FW tank when the city water is connected.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
There is water in the tank..it is full. The pump runs and pumps water one time after city water is connected. The pump will run and pump water as long as you like..but once the pump is turned off or the faucet turned off, that is it. Then the pump will not run again until city water is reconnected and used. The connections have not been moved. This thing has worked fine until last weekend.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
May be the check valve at the city water inlet has gone bad and is sucking air. I just had to replace mine because it was leaking when the pump was on, but not when the water hose was connected.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Mojo Makes a Good Point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
May be the check valve at the city water inlet has gone bad and is sucking air. I just had to replace mine because it was leaking when the pump was on, but not when the water hose was connected.
... and one that I hadn't thought of.
Which reminded me, your 2007 Airstream has a check-valve bypass valve.
If that is open, your pump will be unable to pressurize the system.
That would exactly explain your symptoms.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I had a similar problem with mine. Turns out, some of the pump parts tend to wear out or deteriorate with age and get to a point they won't hold a prime or self prime. Given your trailer is 5 going on 6 years old, maybe it's time to rebuild or replace the pump.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... and one that I hadn't thought of.
Which reminded me, your 2007 Airstream has a check-valve bypass valve.
If that is open, your pump will be unable to pressurize the system.
That would exactly explain your symptoms.
Ok..that makes sense to me..where and what might that thing look like?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
I had a similar problem with mine. Turns out, some of the pump parts tend to wear out or deteriorate with age and get to a point they won't hold a prime or self prime. Given your trailer is 5 going on 6 years old, maybe it's time to rebuild or replace the pump.
That is where I am headed. I really want to exhaust my possibilities first though. There are many experts here on the forums and if it is something simple...well, I like simple. BTW. I notice that you live in my home town! I have not lived there since i left for the Army many moons ago, but we still like to return and camp at NAS every couple of years..especially if I can catch the Reds running
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
In the back of the closet there is a half wall in the back. If you remove those boards you will find the backside of the city water inlet and the valve. If you disconnect and plug the water line, you can test to see if your pump will hold prime. If that is the problem then replace the inlet, it's about $55.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
In the back of the closet there is a half wall in the back. If you remove those boards you will find the backside of the city water inlet and the valve. If you disconnect and plug the water line, you can test to see if your pump will hold prime. If that is the problem then replace the inlet, it's about $55.
OK, thanks for that. I will check it in the morning and report back. My current plan is to replace the pump if the checkvalve is not defective.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
I talked to the Airstream mechanic at Bayer RV in Dublin, TX today. ray is a very sharp guy and has always treated me right on my trailer..so I ordered a pump and a new city water inlet today. I need to get this resolved pretty quickly and he thinks that the pump will do it..thevfresh water inlet has been an issue in thepast and ordering a new one is my idea of insurance to resolve this issue promptly. I will post when I install the pump.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Ok. Finally resolved. I replaced the pump with a similar unit. Simple to wir in the new pump, bolt it down and hook up the water lines. Total time about an hour and a half. Filled the fresh water tank and fired it up. Works like a charm. I will dissasemble the old pump tomorrow to see if it is repairable.