Old 03-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
So, what is considered a "long" shower?
You're right...it is subjective. By long in "RV speak" I mean any thing where you run the water continuously more than to wet down or rinse off. We turn off the flow for lathering & shampooing...this is often referred to as a navy shower.

Actual time can vary depending depending on whether you are using the water pressure from city taps or pumping out of your tank. Regardless...it's a short shower. This is why we went with a tankless insta-hot water heater to use in our Safari while camping with hook-ups...that way we have unlimited hot water.

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, you have 6 gallons of water that is generally 160 degrees or so. Add in about a third cold water to get a comfy warm shower and by my poor math that is about 4 minutes straight running with the typical 2 gpm shower head.

Four minutes is longer than you think...

mike

Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
To save any kind of eater, shower with your better half. Try to stay skinny. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Well, you have 6 gallons of water that is generally 160 degrees or so. Add in about a third cold water to get a comfy warm shower and by my poor math that is about 4 minutes straight running with the typical 2 gpm shower head.

Four minutes is longer than you think...

mike
This is where it gets fuzzy. Sometimes I add "cold" water thats 90 degrees. Sometimes its 35 degrees.

One thing good is it doesn't just get instantly cold. Its like at home where you gradually move the mixer towards hot as it runs out.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Sorry, I meant to say water. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Taking short showers with the faucet off when soaping up will prevent you from getting a cold shower. For all other purposes like dishes, shaving, washing hands etc. 6 gal is plenty of water.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
I'm eager to find this out empirically. I have not yet used the shower in ours (the one opportunity I had, I realized I had forgotten the towels!).

So, what is considered a "long" shower? That seems like it could be quite subjective to me. Has anyone actually done some loose timing about how long of a shower can be squeezed out of that tank? Also, I'm curious to know if anyone has found that one of those Oxynegenics (sp?) shower nozzles helps extend the length.
I installed the Oxygenics last fall, just before putting the AS in storage. I did it based on this comment: Dreamstreamr Odyssey Chasing 75 Degrees

The price has come down so I went ahead and purchased it. It will be interesting to see how it does.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
If you run the hot water constantly you will get about 5 minutes before it goes cold...the higher the gpm of the shower head, the quicker the hot water will exhaust. Turning the water off while soaping up and lathering conserves the hot water to where you can have plenty of hot water to rinse yourself off. The break also helps the heater re-heat and allows the next person to shower without having to wait for the hot water to come back. My shower head is the original and it has a gate valve on it that makes it easy to turn the flow on and off without losing the hot/cold mixture. My previous box trailer had a button on the shower head that you would press to stop the flow and then when you re-established the flow you would get shocked with extremely cold water for a couple of seconds before the hot water mixture returned. My original shower head used to always just trickle water even with good pressure. Before buying a new head I finally took it apart and found a flow restricter inside it, which I happily removed along with 30 years of water deposits and now it works like it is supposed to. It has 3 heads, shower, faucet and massager. Removing the vacuum breaker also helped increase the water flow to the shower head. the only thing I don't like about it is its heavy because it has brass and it's shape is not conducive to it being used as a shower mounted on the hook the ceiling. Because of the ceiling angle and the long shape of the shower head, the water ends up spraying straight down instead of towards you in the direction of the bench seat. It works better if you hold it in your hand to wash and rinse and to mount it on the lower hook intended to fill the bathtub. It took a little practice for this 300lb 6' + tall guy to learn how to maneuver in the rear bath. But I'm a pro at showering in the airstream now and losing about 50lbs helped. They aren't made for big people. Those of you with 70's era rear bath models know what I am talking about. You know its time to lose weight when you have to squeeze yourself on and off the toilet as there is not much side room for "overage."
Old 03-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Good information, thanks everybody!

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
really 6 gallons of h20 is more than enough for a good shower...unless you went to the cooler long after the sun had gone down,for another wobble pop, only to realize the local skunks beat you to it. or fell down in something you could only describe as kinda wet and gelatinous that seemed to try to grab...never mind i've probably said enough...yeah 6 gallons is generally good enough.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Wow, this is the most definitive thread I've seen yet on water heaters. Personally, I've had both 10 and 6 gallon models, and I'd have to agree the 6 is enough. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting one with electric and gas, especially if you're camping with full hookups a lot, as it can really save on the propane.

vvv This is good advice too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
To save any kind of water, shower with your better half. Try to stay skinny. Sal.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Another alternative still !

We swapped out our 6 gal. Atwood gas fired HWH for an "Atwood XT" Combination gas / electric a couple years ago.

It somehow magically makes 6 gallons turn into 9 !

Cool setup so far and a clean and easy install.....

"Using the principles of heat exchange, Atwood XT® 10 gallon models provide the equivalent of 16 gallons of hot water at the same size and weight as standard Atwood 10 gallon water heaters. The 6 gallon Atwood XT® provides the equivalent of 9 gallons of hot water at the same size and weight of standard Atwood 6 gallon models. Choose propane or propane/electric models, all with Direct Spark Ignition for easy lighting. All models install in the same cut-out openings as standard Atwood models. A winterizing bypass is already built in."

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
I'm eager to find this out empirically. I have not yet used the shower in ours (the one opportunity I had, I realized I had forgotten the towels!).
The size and design of travel trailer shower compartments have been optimally matched to their water heaters to ensure you will want to get out, before the water runs out.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
If it is not too hard to run the 110 so you can have a gas/electric you can run both at the same time and recovery time is less. Then make sure you cut it off while soaping up and 6 should do it.

Tags
water heater