Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
One other note - the unit didn't come with a remote switch although one was pictured in the manual. Just a heads up to anyone else who gets one that one is needed. Also, an LED for a warning light.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another plus with the recirculating line is you could probably use it to fill the fresh water tank when using city water (just turn off the water heater and remove the fill cap to allow plenty of venting and in-case you over fill).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Another plus with the recirculating line is you could probably use it to fill the fresh water tank when using city water (just turn off the water heater and remove the fill cap to allow plenty of venting and in-case you over fill).
Great idea! That could save some hassle of dragging around the hose or repositioning to do that.
WBCCI #1711
Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here come some pics...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-258357627.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	176984

Name:	image-155135411.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	488.7 KB
ID:	176985

First some pics of the old Bowen before ripping it out. This actually took a lot longer than expected as it wouldn't just slide out from the outside. In the end, I think the gobs of caulk/vulkem were holding it in quite a bit. On the inner walls, there were strips of aluminum framing it in and it felt like those had to come off too before we could get it out.
WBCCI #1711
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Fortunately, we had already disassembled most of the bathroom making it easy to work both inside and out. We are in the process of rebuilding the whole thing which is one reason we decided to do this project now.

Name:	image-3188695082.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	176986

Used goofoff pro per forum recommendation to clean up the goop. Worked pretty well. Still not completely finished.

Name:	image-3831923561.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	176987

Here is where the gas line was coming up in the front and getting in the way with a test fit of the new unit. Drilled a hole and moved or about an inch or so to the side. The main part of this new unit is narrower than the old so plenty of room on the side to route it up and around back.
WBCCI #1711
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas

Name:	image-1045898429.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	638.1 KB
ID:	176990

Here is a pic of the guts of the new unit as I know a lot of people want to look at this closely to see how much matches with the precision temp. This is the 50k unit and as per earlier posts in this thread it has some winter protection heating elements.

That's all the pics for today as we ran out of light and are going to finish in the morning.
WBCCI #1711
Old 01-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
One little hitch we ran into today is trying to get a right angle off the 3/8 inch flare gas line fitting poking out the back of the new unit. Trying to keep things from encroaching into the toilet area any more than is necessary. Looks like a "swivel elbow" is what would help but they don't sell them at Home Depot. Vintage Trailer has them though. Can be found cheaper I think. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/..._p/vts-360.htm
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Update

How is the hot water project going.

Don
Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Project is going well. The hot water heater is basically installed. I don't think it is much different than a normal water heater installed except it needs 12 volt power. I tapped a line nearby for the time being and hard wired it. The install instructions show a switch in line and I think it is a normal atwood switch with a light. I bought one and have not yet hooked it up as,I don't have a place to mount it as the bathroom is being rebuilt.

Considering the bathroom rebuild, I have not tested it extensively yet but it seems to be working well just for hot water for dishes or washing hands/face. The shower rebuild is almost complete so I will be using it more extensively soon. Just need to seal up the new woodwork to protect it from the moisture and there is some caulking to do in the shower as well.

I painted the outside door to the atwood that came in white with some silver metallic paint and am quite pleased with how it came out. Will have to post a photo. My trailer exterior needs polishing and clear coat removal from peeling so if you have a perfect/polished trailer it might not blend in as well with just paint. One idea that crossed my mind was checking to se if they have any of that vinyl car wrap material that would match different finishes people may have. Wish I could tell you what the door was made out of and if it was aluminum that could be polished.

Aside from all that, I still need to plumb the recirculating line. Just has not been a priority since my shower isn't yet finished. I bought a 12 volt solenoid valve so I can make the recirculating work by a switch or button. Some RV people who have done the recirculating thing automate it with timers and temp sensors too. Not sure if I will go that far right off, but it would be cool to have buttons to preheat the water near sinks and maybe a switch to turn on recirculation for the entire time someone is in the shower. I suppose pressing the button durning a navy shower would work too... Just hit it 10 seconds or so before you are ready to resume the shower. That would save a little power and propane of just letting it run. Maybe use marine switches that factor in some use around water? Not much shock risk regardless, I wouldn't think.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the unit and am thrilled the depth is less than a normal unit so when we rebuild the vanity it won't require a funky intrusion from the back into my side bath.
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Also, I'm going to add an accumulating pressure tank to the system to try to get better and more consistent water pressure when not on shore water. As I may ave mentioned, I think the water system works better with a normal water heater tank in the line but adding a cheap, separate tank should be easy and will overcome that quirk. So in the end, I don't think there will be any drawbacks to tankless vs. normal tank heater and there will be several very nice positives.
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here is a cross link to a thread about the pressure accumulator that I started. Interesting contributions from others...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...or-100341.html
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Here is a pic of the painted door.

Name:	image-2148846048.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	178629
WBCCI #1711
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #33
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Have been following this thread with a lot of interest...will be anxious to see satisfaction levels after a few years. My first experience with this type of hot water was living in Europe where the "gas geyser" was the norm. It worked fine except for the reduced water flow...it does provide endless hot water but I wonder about the reduced versatility of gas only hot water. I have found that the ability to go to electric hot water when I'm in a park (or at home where I have a 30amp hookup) makes a lot of sense.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote