Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Any experience with a Twin Temp Jr?

I'm looking for a new water heater & furnace, and the Precision Temp Twin Temp Jr seems like an excellent replacement for both, and it draws and vents through the floor, not through the side wall. Has anyone installed one? I know a few people have installed the RV 500 on-demand heater they also make, that was the other one I was looking at.

The only difficult thing with the Twin Temp seems to be that you need 20" of open air to the outside to the compartment it's in. And you do also need to run the vent pipe straight downwards, which would go through the belly skin & insulation. Perhaps putting a metal tube with a couple of inches of clearance around it in there would work. I was thinking it would probably fit under the sink, where the furnace was originally installed. I could put a blower there, and another back at the bottom of the pantry maybe, and one right at the back in the bathroom. The compartment could be pretty well-sealed from the inside air, with an extra vent to the outside.
Jacob D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Great question

I going to be looking for what to put in the Sovereign also, my wife called the company and got a quote of ~$800 for the RV500, but I've heard the TT Jr is closer to $3,000 Given the amount of space available in the SOTR, I think I'd save the 2 grand and give up a few inches.

Safari Tim needs to weight-in here, as I think his VAP project is being "sponsored" with a Jr...

Sean
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Yikes, $3,000. Yeah, for that difference I might just get an RV500 and settle for a regular furnace, or just use the catalytic heater I have!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I must have missed this thread.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Jr.

I don't have it running yet, but its mounted and starting to get the rest of it ready to fire up.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Alameda , California
Well, first off, I'd be curious how much you paid for it, if you don't mind sharing...

Did you build anything around the flue vents to keep them away from the floor and insulation?

Where did you put the blowers & the thermostat?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 AM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
The invoice that came with it was $2900. It was supplied with three power vents. That is not what we paid, since they are a contributor to theVAP.

Where I ended up mounting mine, the exhaust pipe exits between the main frame rail and the outside edge of the trailer. There was a small cavity there and I removed the insulation. The opening for the exhaust was cut about .75 - 1" bigger all the way around it.

My Ambassador is 28'. I put one vent in the rear bathroom vanity, another under a twin bed in the center of the trailer. And the last out the base of the kitchen cabinet in the front.

I don't have the system completely installed yet, so I have not powered it up.

One thing that should be mentioned and we talked about it on the show, is the Jr. does use the air around it for combustion. So it must be isolated from the living area. I did this by building an air-tight box around it. Its not much different than a fridge really where the rear needs to be isolated from the inside of the trailer as well.

The Jr. does save on space as a seperate furnace and all the ductwork need to support it will not be used. But as you point out, it comes at a cost.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote