Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Accessing water pump under fridge

I need to get to my water pump so I can have it suck up anti freeze to winterize the lines.

According to my manual:

The 28 ft. water pump location is under the refrigerator.
The bottom cabinet panel pulls off for access.

In the trailer however, there is no cabinet underneath the fridge that can be pulled off. What is there instead is my electrical panel and a furnace vent. Now the manual is correct about the location, if I turn the pump on I can clearly place the sound as coming from underneath the fridge, but accessing it seems to be the tricky part.

I assume that I need to pull out the whole electrical panel but this does seem a bit counter intuitive to me so I wanted to check with folks here first. I did try to access the pump from the neighboring closet panel but I could not see or reach it from this point.

If I do have to take out the electrical panel to get to the pump, what considerations/precautions do I need to I take. Do I need to turn off all the breakers and put the battery in storage mode? Can I remain plugged into shore power so I can have the lights on and still run the pump? Obviously if I can't run the pump then there is no point.

Thanks for any advice or guidance,
Jason
vossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #2

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Found another thread already discussing this topic

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ss-140909.html

Still reading so hopefully the answer lies within.
vossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Georgia
I read all these posts but my new 2018 Flying Cloud 28’ RBQ water pump location wasn’t under the wardrobe nor the fridge....but rather under the microwave oven! Thank Goodness that AS has moved it to a more accessible location. However my owners manual said otherwise...under the fridge.
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I remember when I first looked under the hood of a Lamborghini. It was a revelation. Every hose, every wire, every conduit was neatly contoured, fit, and in place, Nothing was bundled, wire-tied or laid wherever it fell. I began to understand why Lamborghinis were priced like a Lamborghini.

Airstreams may be priced relatively like a Lamborghini, but they are nowhere near built, fitted, or documented like a Lamborghini. Lots of space is wasted under couches, closets, bath showers, and the like. Heating ducts, water lines, drain pipes, electrical wire is strewn about wherever. Speaker wire and A/V lines are crammed in tight spaces with no labeling, and certainly not custom cut to fit.

It is an abomination of assembly. If any thought was given to access, you have to wonder what exactly they were thinking. It is appalling indeed.

When you find the pump after it fails, or leaks, or otherwise disappoints, you can replace it with a quality component that is quiet and better built, because AS most certainly has put in the cheapest component they could find.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote