Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
'66 TW. Bowen OUT, Atwood IN.

Spring of '07 I replaced our old Bowen with a new Atwood 6 gal gas and electric water heater. I took a number of pics to share.

The Bowen door is in good condition and so to keep the 'vintage' look on the '66 Trade Wind I want to adapt it to the Atwood. But with the summer camping season rapidly approaching I decided to make this installation with the door that comes with the new Atwood. However, I will make 'adjusments' during the installation to eventually replace the new door later. With no shop manual available removing the Bowen was a small challenge. I thought after disconnecting the plumbing it should pull straight out. It did slide out a few inches before hanging up on 'something'. It was wedged against the grey drain from the galley because when Airstream originally installed it they made room for that drain by denting the side and back of the WH jacket. (The jacket is an aluminum housing that contains the insulation). The 'denting' was crudely made with a hammer for I saw the hammer impressions in the aluminum. I finally found that I needed to twist the WH back and forth so I had to remove the front fascia and as much of the chimney as I could. When the WH was finally free I discovered that is was anchored on it's bottom to the coach floor with a headed pin that slipped into a slotted plate mounted to the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 006.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	46705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 005.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	46706  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 007.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	46707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 011.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	46708  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 012.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	46709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 013.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	46710  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 014.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	46711  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Bowen Out Atwood IN; Part 2

The new Atwood is a little smaller than the Bowen. However, I needed to raise the base that the Atwood would rest on by about two and a quarter inches so that the eventual old door would be at it's original height to the coach side. As it turned out the Atwood door looks better at the elevated height. Before reinstalling the original door FRAME I needed to trim and add side fillers (Atwood is narrower). One view shows the prepped plumbing. I staid with the copper plumbing for now (camping season is rapidly approaching remember) but I use Shark Bite connectors and Pex to the new WH. The Shark Bite connectors were VERY helpfull in connecting this plumbing it VERY limited work space. I had to make the connections with one hand. The additional plumbing on the back of the Atwood is for the winterizing bypass. The wires you see is the electric heater portion. The switch for this is located there but I did not wish o have to reach down through the floor of the bathroom closet to activate it so I moved that operation to the wall in he bathroom. I glued a lighted (lit when on) rocker switch into a switch plate that matches the nearby plug plate. The Atwood door is white, however, even though it is temporary I repainted it silver. Actually it does not look all that bad. It may be awhile before I re-adapt the old door. What do you think?

Oh, yes I cauked the flashing and water heater with rope caulk the vulkem for good measure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 026.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	46717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 023.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	46718  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 030.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	46719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 031.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	46720  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 022.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	46721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 021.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	46722  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 035.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	46723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07 034.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	46724  

Name:	Airstream - New water heater install 6-07.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	46725  
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Fantastic! Was it difficult to do the wiring? I'm not knowledgeable bout electricity and would probably have to bring in an electrician for that part of it. Also, was the LP gas connection soldered, or is there some other form of connection used these days?

Thanks so much for posting these. Very helpfull!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Great post! I have a water heater that has been sitting forever because I havent worked up the gumption to deal with it. This helps. By the way, did I see somewhere a comment about not using PEX within a foot of a water heater?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Fantastic! Was it difficult to do the wiring? I'm not knowledgeable bout electricity and would probably have to bring in an electrician for that part of it. Also, was the LP gas connection soldered, or is there some other form of connection used these days?

Thanks so much for posting these. Very helpfull!
I used the same LP connection that served the old Bowen. Only thing necessary to do was re-route the copper line back a few inches.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Great post! I have a water heater that has been sitting forever because I havent worked up the gumption to deal with it. This helps. By the way, did I see somewhere a comment about not using PEX within a foot of a water heater?
Hmmmm...have not heard that one. I suppose the suggested danger may be excessive heat to the PEX. One of the PEX tubes supplies HOT water so that can't be a problem. The gas burner and exhaust is toward the front of the WH so that can't be it. The WH is insulated and I have not noticed any appreciable heat build up in the closet above. Obviously I want to be alerted to any such dangers so I will monitor it.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
Hmmmm...have not heard that one. I suppose the suggested danger may be excessive heat to the PEX. One of the PEX tubes supplies HOT water so that can't be a problem. The gas burner and exhaust is toward the front of the WH so that can't be it. The WH is insulated and I have not noticed any appreciable heat build up in the closet above. Obviously I want to be alerted to any such dangers so I will monitor it.
I want to say the idea was that the pipe might be hotter than the water and transfer that to the PEX, not sure and it might be bogus anyway. Let me know what you find, I would prefer to got straight to PEX.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
palo alto , California
Send a message via AIM to lesliedow Send a message via Yahoo to lesliedow
Similar Bowen-> Atwood using PEX

We just finished the same type of restoration- replacing an old bowen with a new atwood and also used PEX. I decided to keep the external cover from the Bowen, so we did a bit more on the surround and shroud cover.
I have posted most of the work on my blog

www.atfore.com

I looked into the issues around using hot water and PEX. I was assured by the manufacturer, a master plumber I know and the california codes that PEX is fine for hot water right out of a heater. We also used Sharkbite quick release fittings and I love them. Most definitely recommend.

Leslie Dow

1964 Globetrotter
KG6HSG
lesliedow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliedow
We just finished the same type of restoration- replacing an old bowen with a new atwood and also used PEX. I decided to keep the external cover from the Bowen, so we did a bit more on the surround and shroud cover.
I have posted most of the work on my blog

www.atfore.com

Leslie Dow
Looks like a good job. As I wrote in the begining of this thread I want to adapt the old Bowen cover the way you indicated. My problem is I have too many projects going..Trade Wind and home maintainence. I have been retired more than a year and I am wondering how I ever had time for a job! Thanks for posting your progress.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
8 months later...

I'm in the middle of replacing my Bowen as well (on a '62 GlobeTrotter) and am stuck in the process of pulling out the old one. I detached the one hex nut I could find on a brass pipe leading into the on/off dial, but have seemingly run out of things to disconnect.

The photos above are great, but it's this process of disconnecting everything where I must be missing something... here's where I'm at:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heater2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	65314   Click image for larger version

Name:	heater1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	656.8 KB
ID:	65315  

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Would like the covers

Bredlo,

If you do not plan to use the covers around the old Bowen waterheater, I'd like to have them. Any chance of getting them?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Do appreciate the interest Paul, but no - gonna try and retrofit the old cover. Mine is a little banged up anyhow.

If you can't find one out there and are feeling pretty ambitious, check out these instructions for building your own brad new replacement Bowen heater cover:

Restoration Topics - HW Heater Covers
Old 08-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
30 minutes later...

Well, I've dug around outside the closet, under the bed and everywhere else there was a pipe or tube leading to this water heater. *Everything's* disconnected. It just simply won't budge, even when I'm really giving it a good kick.

2 possible reasons?

1. The outside topmost piece of trim is still being held on by two flathead screws, which I can't remove because the "chimney" is in the way.

2. That cleat at the bottom of post no. 1 in this thread... I don't see how that could be, though as I can't lift or pull the main tub back - the faceplate is completely flush with the outer skin, as it always appeared.

What do you think?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Brad-

When I removed my Bowen I had to drill a few larger holes in the "chimney" to access the screws. I was having the same problem you were having- couldn't get to the last few screws!
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
2 hours later...

Well, I decided to use the Sawz-all to chop off the chimney. Those last 3 screws on the fascia did nothing to loosen things up.

Finally found that the boxy section is bolted to the water tank section. I was only able to remove those phillips screws on one side though - the other side is sandwiched in a tiny bermuda triangle in the closet.

That little tidbit, combined with the fact that the water tank is actually an inch or so TALLER than the inside skin it's supposed to slide past on its way out leads me to believe that all this furniture was *built around* the water heater, and that unlike the photos at the top of this thread, I will not be able to pull it out through the side wall.

So... I've spent hours on this. Should I simply hack up the whole water tank into smaller pieces with the Sawz-all? I don't see many other options here, as I'm obviously not going to deconstruct the entire trailer to get to this thing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heater.tank.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	65341