Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
40 year old water heater

I know this is a LONG SHOT!...I have not tried it yet...but what are the chances that the original waterheater works?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
The water heater in our '67 Safari worked like a champ for a few outings (it finally decided to die when we were on a week-long outing).

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
So there is SOME hope???
Old 11-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Of course there's hope!

That said, though, the old heater will be easier to remove if you have the inside disassembled. When ours finally died, we had to remove it from the outside, because the closet had already been built back in over it. Not fun, but possible to do.

I can't say I really miss the old heater, though - it's lovely to be inside the trailer, flip a switch, and have the heater come on.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
O.K...real stupid question

I am planning to hook up the electricity this weekend to a power source. I will have to clean it first. So...what runs on electricity and what does not

I think the heater runs on Propane...which is an issue...because that would mean that I have to get the valves switched on my tanks before getting them filled.

The heater runs on propane...again...have to clean out before lighting it up.

and the fridge...does this run on propane or electric...

Oh...and the water pump.

Everything is original.

Is there any documentation on how to turn on these things.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
I know this is a LONG SHOT!...I have not tried it yet...but what are the chances that the original waterheater works?
Your water heater tank is made from aluminum.

Our water supplies today contain chemicals that like to attack aluminum.

When a water heater lasts 25 years, it's already on borrowed time.

When will they fail?

When your out on a trip, of course. Then you will be totally out of water, since you cannot bypass the water heater.

If the trailer has not been used for some time, that could give you a small fraction of hope.

But, if that is the case, more than likely the axles are shot.

Torsion axles that are not exercised every couple of years, will experience solidified rubber rods, which means there is little to no suspension left in the axles.

Seldom used Airstreams or those that have been parked for a few years with the weight of the trailer on the axles, will have axle failures, guaranteed.

Many on the forums here will bear that out.

The following article will help you to check out the axles yourself.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Depending on the water quality that was in the trailer the water heater could be pretty clogged with mineral deposits. This is the case in a lot of the western US where water is deep ground water and not surface water and a lot of other locations with high sulfur content etc. The good news is new water heaters aren't too expensive. You also would have the option of 6gal or 10gal or auto or manual light.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

We have owned three Vintage trailers. All three of them worked just fine. Maybe we were just lucky. They were Atwood. Good luck!

Gloria Pace
WBCCI 7287
72 Sovereign
Greenville, Tx
Old 11-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Back hatch again...

Can anyone tell me what is in the back hatch of the AS. I cant get into it...it is driving me crazy...I dont want to force anything and break it. I might not have a choice
Old 11-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
Can anyone tell me what is in the back hatch of the AS. I cant get into it...it is driving me crazy...I dont want to force anything and break it. I might not have a choice
That's where most owners keep the hidden stash of $100 bills
Of course many PO's forget and leave them in for the new owners...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

You should have looked in the back hatch before you bought the trailer. Lots of potential problems there. The locking handle is probably giving you fits. The key has to rotate 1/2 turn to unlock, then you can rotate the handle. There are latches on both sides of the hatch and one just below the handle. There is a lip that fits into a groove along the top to keep it from falling out. Try some WD40 in the lock and be sure you're using the right key. Inside, you'll find the dump valve handle, drain valves for hot and cold water lines, a good possibility of some garden hose "patches" due to previous freeze damage, ABS drain lines for the bathroom sink and shower, lots of dust and dirt, and probably "stuff" from the previous owner. Usually, you will find plenty of floor rot as well. Use some of the $100 bills to cover the repair costs! Darol
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
You should have looked in the back hatch before you bought the trailer. Lots of potential problems there. The locking handle is probably giving you fits. The key has to rotate 1/2 turn to unlock, then you can rotate the handle. There are latches on both sides of the hatch and one just below the handle. There is a lip that fits into a groove along the top to keep it from falling out. Try some WD40 in the lock and be sure you're using the right key. Inside, you'll find the dump valve handle, drain valves for hot and cold water lines, a good possibility of some garden hose "patches" due to previous freeze damage, ABS drain lines for the bathroom sink and shower, lots of dust and dirt, and probably "stuff" from the previous owner. Usually, you will find plenty of floor rot as well. Use some of the $100 bills to cover the repair costs! Darol
Well you were right...the lockign handles were giving me fits...until it broke...well...it needed replacing anyway I got the back hatch open. I am very supprised..besides there not being any $100 bills. its not wet inside...I see all of the black pipe (plastic and looks new) and copper pipes with the valves. The copper doesen't even have that nice green color..Its a bit cob webby but there are no signs that this area was used as low income housing for mice. It's quite clean in there...for its age. I guess when the PO put it away back in 79...he must have drained everything...I find that odd...Oh well...I think I saw some type of water tank on the right hand side...I looked in there and it was labled hot and cold water who know what I'll find next.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Lucky you! Most people find lots of trouble back there. The tank is your water heater. Look in the closet in the bathroom, take out the bottom shelf to get a better view. Darol
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Lucky you! Most people find lots of trouble back there. The tank is your water heater. Look in the closet in the bathroom, take out the bottom shelf to get a better view. Darol
I am going to clean out the insides this weekend...clean...go in and warm up...clean...you get the picture. I have to hook everything up to make sure it is working...before gut it and put the pieces I dont need up for sale...like toilets, showers...stuff like that. It is going to be a nasty job...with all of the calling cards left by the non-rent paying visitors. I have seen alot of pictures of pepople wearing respirators while gutting their trailers out...I think it may be wise to do the same.