Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
2019 30' International

Bolingbrook , Illinois
2019 International failed water heater board - Fantastic customer service from AS

We were just in Breckenridge, CO (Tiger Run RV Park - WOW) for a week of R&R. On the way there from Chicagoland, our propane water heater stopped working, but the electric worked fine. I did some troubleshooting and found that the propane would lite, but not stay lit. I called Airstream and was on hold for about 5 minutes and talked to Casey in customer support. We went through what I had done to troubleshoot and she concluded the controller board went bad. She agreed to next-day a new board to me. I installed the new board and everything works as it should.

A big thanks to Airstream for great customer service!

Below are the two controllers side-by-side - bad one is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	323629  

wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

2018 23' International
Henderson , Kentucky
We are having the same problem with our 2018 international. The propane sparks but will not light. So we should call Airstream?

gail lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
2019 30' International

Bolingbrook , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail lynne View Post
We are having the same problem with our 2018 international. The propane sparks but will not light. So we should call Airstream?
Yes, give their customer service number a call. It took just a few minutes for me to explain the problem and they sent me a new updated board.

Great experience.

Wayne
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Mine Too

My brand new 2019 International Serenity is working fine on 120v but after about 15 seconds I get a solid red light on LPG. My board looks like the board on the right above so I guess it is time to call Airstream also!
mcc272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
A 2019 with an outdated water heater board??? Hahaha!! Money well spent!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
A 2019 with an outdated water heater board??? Hahaha!! Money well spent!
Where and when exactly did anyone in this thread say the board was outdated? Maybe they deleted their post, because I sure don't see it.
I see a post showing a board that is defective, not outdated, and a redesigned board was sent to replace it.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail lynne View Post
Hi gail lynne,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Called AS Customer Service

The response was a list of Dometic places in my area that could handle a warranty issue. It is not worth driving an hour to get the trailer out of storage and then more time to a dealer and then wait for repair and then back to storage nor the time to call around to figure out who actually had boards in stock. The solution is to go straight to a replacement board from Dinosaur Electric. The conclusions I draw for use by others on Air Forums with similar issues are:
- My issue is the same as the OP and will likely be cured by a replacement board.
- My board is appears identical to the photo on the right in the OP's post.
- My board is not the dreaded 7E board but rather a Zhongding board with a serial number of 91346 B 2318 06751 which seems to be the board being used rather than the 7E boards.
- Based on a sample size of 2 (me and the OP) these boards are no better than the 7E boards and failures should be expected.
- Given the bad past history with Attwood/Dometic igniter boards it is simply easier to skip the Dometic aggravation and to go straight to a Dinosaur board.
- Avoid Dometic products whenever you have a choice!!!

I did refer AS Technical Support to this thread so that they can be further informed on the issue.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc272 View Post
My brand new 2019 International Serenity is working fine on 120v but after about 15 seconds I get a solid red light on LPG. My board looks like the board on the right above so I guess it is time to call Airstream also!
Hi mcc272,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Where and when exactly did anyone in this thread say the board was outdated? Maybe they deleted their post, because I sure don't see it.
I see a post showing a board that is defective, not outdated, and a redesigned board was sent to replace it.
I'll bite......it's not that anyone said it, it is the fact that the PCB in the harden resin clearly shows that the two board layouts are not equal. The left is probably a newer version that deals with the issue at hand.

I'm an Electrical engineer (circuit and PCB design) and the rule of thumb is to use all the old stock if it passes QC/QA and anything that fails gets the later rev. They aren't going to just "throw out" older revs just because a newer one is available, they'll use up the old stock and migrate to the newer stock when all the old ones are used up.

Most likely there is edge casing going on there, most "work" and some will fail.....it's a money numbers game.....and it happens all the time in all electrical industries.....(as long as it isn't life saving/critical).

kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #11

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Fantastic Customer Service

I posted above (#4) that I was experiencing the same issue with the water heater as the OP. After initially sending me a list of Dometic repair places, my customer service rep Lindsey McNutt further investigated the issue and called to tell me that Airstream would be sending a new board. The new board arrived and is the same as the left photo from the OP. I have now replaced the board and the water heater immediately fired properly on propane and has continued to do so. Dometic is clearly continuing to have board issues! My bad board will be on its way back to Airstream shortly. Like the OP, I can say that I too had fantastic customer support from Airstream.