Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Can you post a photo of the wardrobe access you mentioned earlier. Can you see the water input line coming up the water tank. Would there be enough room to splice in a winterizing diverter valve.

Looks like engineering made a production change and hasn't informed customer service. Still it should be easy for them to research this issue and get back to you. The dealer needs to know how to winterize your model.

Still you need to be able to get to this area to check for any leaks or need to replace the pump. It may be a good idea to get your dealer to winterize the first winter rather than do it yourself.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
The only reason I can imagine why they have two models is that my unit has the oven option instead of microwave.
If I remember right SilverLab's unit has the microwave in it and his electrical panel is also under the fridge. So there must be some other reason for the different locations. Chuck's Trailer has twin beds. Does that impact the change in locations?
Interesting.......
Old 09-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
2015 FC 28 Rear-Water pump

OK here's response from JC. Midway thru the 2015 FC production year they decided to move the electrical panel from the front short lounge to directly underneath the refrig. The WP sits squarely BEHIND the electrical panel. The ONLY WAY to access the water pump is to remove the entire electrical panel. So that's what you have to do if you winterize with antifreeze. Sorry but that's their response. Looks like I'll have to pay someone to remove the WP and attach it further left under the wardrobe or just pour 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in to the fresh water tank and pump thru. All of my friends who own SOB trailers are appalled. They all have easy access and Winterization kits included in their trailers from the factory. I am so disappointed I chose Airstream!
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
OK here's response from JC. Midway thru the 2015 FC production year they decided to move the electrical panel from the front short lounge to directly underneath the refrig. The WP sits squarely BEHIND the electrical panel. The ONLY WAY to access the water pump is to remove the entire electrical panel. So that's what you have to do if you winterize with antifreeze. Sorry but that's their response. Looks like I'll have to pay someone to remove the WP and attach it further left under the wardrobe or just pour 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in to the fresh water tank and pump thru. All of my friends who own SOB trailers are appalled. They all have easy access and Winterization kits included in their trailers from the factory. I am so disappointed I chose Airstream!
That is the most STUPID thing I've ever heard. Heads should roll at Airstream if this is correct!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I can see why you are upset. The question is to remove the panel has Airstream left enough slack in the wires to pull it out far enough for access. Common sense seems to have left Jackson Center.

If you do plan to get your water pump moved who should get a winterization diverter valve installed.

And as long as the panel is out upgrade it to a 3 way converter/charger unless AS is putting one of those in now.

Airstream should pick up the tab for moving the water pump especially after reading the winterization procedure in the 2015 Flying Cloud manual stating to remove the connections to drain out any remaining water in the pump. You can't get to it to do that part.

I have to admit with all the faults that SOBs seem to have. when it comes to convenience in maintaining systems many are better designed for those functions.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

I'm just curious if you are the first one to ask JC about this. Maybe you could contact someone higher up like the person that replaced Dave Schuman (sp?) He should know about this. I think his name is Rick Marsh, but not sure if this is the correct last name. He might help you out. I would send him an email with the name of the person you talked to in JC, and ask for assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
OK. Mystery solved. We just pulled into our campsite for the day and before I hooked up I turned on the pump and listened better. It's under the wardrobe. There is a panel at the bottom with four screws. Pull that panel and it is right there. Plenty of access.

Now, I am back to relaxing and enjoying my trip.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
OK. Mystery solved. We just pulled into our campsite for the day and before I hooked up I turned on the pump and listened better. It's under the wardrobe. There is a panel at the bottom with four screws. Pull that panel and it is right there. Plenty of access.

Now, I am back to relaxing and enjoying my trip.

Chuck
That makes more sense! I could not believe that Airstream would do something so stupid as to force owners to remove electrical panel or fridges to access something like a water pump.

This makes a whole lot more sense. Thanks for clearing this up Chuck

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
This might be a stupid comment. But does the manual not tell you where the pump is and how to access it? I know my manual gives me that type of info with my unit.
Just wondering
Cheers
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
The manual on my FC25FB tells me NOTHING about any of the systems on this beast; except how to clean it.
It refers me to the multitude of little pamplets that comes with it; but they're no use in finding out technical details.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by labalope View Post
Why in the world would you put a electric panel under a fridge? are not most of the electrical panels on a wall somewhere? Gary
It seems that Airstream marches to their own drummer in designing this thing.
A lot of my FC25FB has items that are placed haphazardly without any rhyme or reason.
They certainly don't follow RV standard practices in many things.
One wonders what the Hell they are thinking on the drawing board; or do they think at all?
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
2015 FC 28 Rear-Water pump access

Emailed a copy of my JC response post directly to Rick March in JC. I would be extremely surprised if he responds. Not only is Airstream quality poor but customer service seems to be tanking as well. I've dreamed of owning an Airstream for over 40 years; now after only 4 months ownership, I wish I had bought SOB.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Emailed a copy of my JC response post directly to Rick March in JC. I would be extremely surprised if he responds. Not only is Airstream quality poor but customer service seems to be tanking as well. I've dreamed of owning an Airstream for over 40 years; now after only 4 months ownership, I wish I had bought SOB.

Please let us know what Rick says. I feel your pain. Hopefully u will get some help from Rick. I think he has moved up the ladder, after many years of service with Airstream. When Dave Schuman retired I heard he took his position. Rick helped me once a few years ago. Good luck

Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
In all honesty, the access to the pump and the water heater bypass valve on this 2015 28FC is easier to access than my 2014 25FC. I agree 100% all of the information should be listed in the manual with respect to how it is accessed for normal procedures. At the same time, Airstreams do not have all of the "extra space" SOB's have to put some of this stuff that makes it easy to access. I have been around many SOB's, both trailers and Class A's and let me tell you, they are not all set up for ease of repair or maintanence either.

Hopefully the folks at Airstream will read this thread, as I know it has already been forwarded via email to them and they will work to improve that aspect (documentation and manuals) of their business. But at the same time, we are all pretty fortunate to have the folks on this forum to reach out to for advise and suggestions. I for one am not hesitant to pull covers and look for where most stuff is. In fact, the water pump was the only thing I had not looked for to see about access but would have in a few months when winterizing was needed. This thread just got me looking for it sooner.

Chuck
Old 09-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
My email to Rick March was undeliverable. Anyone have his email address?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
What else disappoints about you Airstream? I can't find any SOB in my size range that meets our requirements. The only on I might consider is Bigfoot.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I'm with kelvin..... I thought the effort of Silverlabs solved the pump issue.
Is there more?

As for the criticism of poor customer service and emails not replayed to. This has not been my experience at all. I have found the staff at airstream to be very prompt and professional to deal with.

By the way. Thanks to Silverlabs for taking the time out of his trip to figure out the pumps location and how to access it. It's efforts like his that make this a great place.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
2015 FC 28 Rear-Water pump access

I'm glad Silverlabs has access. I do not and that's why Dan at JC instructed me to remove the electrical panel. Which, by the way, I tried. And, the wires are preventing me from pulling the panel out far enough to get access. Looks like I'll be making another 600 mile trek to JC.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
DeltaRon - I am a little confused. In post # 13 I indicated that I had pulled my electrical panel before to replace the standard charger and that no water pump was seen. Then in post #27 I indicated that I found the pump behind the panel at the bottom of the wardrobe. I have the same model as you. My electrical is under the fridge. I am perplexed that you would go the hard route of pulling the electrical panel when someone on this forum went to the extra trouble to helping you out with a question and finds the solution, yet is ignored. I guess I should have taken a picture to prove it.

On your picture, to the left your wardrobe door is open. Where the hinge is, is a thin panel behind that hinge. Four screws. Remove and the pump is there. I am sorry that your response from JC was not accurate, or interpreted correctly as I cannot tell how the question was initially worded, but the pump is where I indicated.

The forum is to assist folks with questions and communicate information we can all learn from. I get frustrated when negative comments about a product continue when an accurate answer was provided. It is sad that an inaccurate response was provided from JC, but we are all not perfect. I too would be very interested to hear the other issues that have frustrated you about the Airstream. Sure, screws work loose and things like that. Happens on all. But overall, the workmanship and quality far exceeds others that I have had and the numerous I have been around over the years.

Chuck
Old 09-12-2015, 08:02 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Looks like Chuck solved your pump issue. Let us know, too bad you got the incorrect info from Dan in JC

Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
I'm glad Silverlabs has access. I do not and that's why Dan at JC instructed me to remove the electrical panel. Which, by the way, I tried. And, the wires are preventing me from pulling the panel out far enough to get access. Looks like I'll be making another 600 mile trek to JC.

WOW....... are you kidding?
Have a safe trip Ron. I hope it allows you to get some satisfaction