Old 09-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
FC 28 water pump acces

The manual is WRONG. There are two versions of the 28 Rear. My version had the electrical panel directly under the refrig making it impossible to access WP without removing refrig. The other model has the electrical panel under the front lounge so you can access the WP under the refrig. See my pic. If you have my model, I hope you're not living in a cold climate cuz you will not be able to fully winterize. Better check.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Floyd , Virginia
Why in the world would you put a electric panel under a fridge? are not most of the electrical panels on a wall somewhere? Gary

Old 09-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
2015 FC 28 Rear-Water pump access

Silverlabs, would appreciate your letting me know where you find WP. Apparently, AS makes two models of the 28 Rear. Mine has the electrical box directly under the refrig (see pic) which makes it impossible to access WP. Their other model has the electrical box under the short lounge in the front. The only reason I can imagine why they have two models is that my unit has the oven option instead of microwave.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
labalope, go figure why elec under frig. I am quickly regretting my decision to buy Airstream. Their quality is just terrible and they don't really give a damn about their customers.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Have you tried contacting the dealer you purchased from so they can work with Airstream? Try contacting Colonial Airstream. They have a good reputation for helping. Please post your findings.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
The manual is WRONG. There are two versions of the 28 Rear. My version had the electrical panel directly under the refrig making it impossible to access WP without removing refrig. The other model has the electrical panel under the front lounge so you can access the WP under the refrig. See my pic. If you have my model, I hope you're not living in a cold climate cuz you will not be able to fully winterize. Better check.
Gee Ron - Thats just crazy. I do live in a cold climate, but thank God my unit has the electrical panel under the front lounge. I cannot image Airstream being stupid enough to put the pump in a location that forces you to remove the fridge to get at it. Just makes no sense...........

Good Luck

Cheers
Doug
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Can you post a photo of the wardrobe access you mentioned earlier. Can you see the water input line coming up the water tank. Would there be enough room to splice in a winterizing diverter valve.

Looks like engineering made a production change and hasn't informed customer service. Still it should be easy for them to research this issue and get back to you. The dealer needs to know how to winterize your model.

Still you need to be able to get to this area to check for any leaks or need to replace the pump. It may be a good idea to get your dealer to winterize the first winter rather than do it yourself.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
The only reason I can imagine why they have two models is that my unit has the oven option instead of microwave.
If I remember right SilverLab's unit has the microwave in it and his electrical panel is also under the fridge. So there must be some other reason for the different locations. Chuck's Trailer has twin beds. Does that impact the change in locations?
Interesting.......
Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
2015 FC 28 Rear-Water pump

OK here's response from JC. Midway thru the 2015 FC production year they decided to move the electrical panel from the front short lounge to directly underneath the refrig. The WP sits squarely BEHIND the electrical panel. The ONLY WAY to access the water pump is to remove the entire electrical panel. So that's what you have to do if you winterize with antifreeze. Sorry but that's their response. Looks like I'll have to pay someone to remove the WP and attach it further left under the wardrobe or just pour 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in to the fresh water tank and pump thru. All of my friends who own SOB trailers are appalled. They all have easy access and Winterization kits included in their trailers from the factory. I am so disappointed I chose Airstream!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
OK here's response from JC. Midway thru the 2015 FC production year they decided to move the electrical panel from the front short lounge to directly underneath the refrig. The WP sits squarely BEHIND the electrical panel. The ONLY WAY to access the water pump is to remove the entire electrical panel. So that's what you have to do if you winterize with antifreeze. Sorry but that's their response. Looks like I'll have to pay someone to remove the WP and attach it further left under the wardrobe or just pour 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in to the fresh water tank and pump thru. All of my friends who own SOB trailers are appalled. They all have easy access and Winterization kits included in their trailers from the factory. I am so disappointed I chose Airstream!
That is the most STUPID thing I've ever heard. Heads should roll at Airstream if this is correct!
Old 09-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I can see why you are upset. The question is to remove the panel has Airstream left enough slack in the wires to pull it out far enough for access. Common sense seems to have left Jackson Center.

If you do plan to get your water pump moved who should get a winterization diverter valve installed.

And as long as the panel is out upgrade it to a 3 way converter/charger unless AS is putting one of those in now.

Airstream should pick up the tab for moving the water pump especially after reading the winterization procedure in the 2015 Flying Cloud manual stating to remove the connections to drain out any remaining water in the pump. You can't get to it to do that part.

I have to admit with all the faults that SOBs seem to have. when it comes to convenience in maintaining systems many are better designed for those functions.

Kelvin
Old 09-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

I'm just curious if you are the first one to ask JC about this. Maybe you could contact someone higher up like the person that replaced Dave Schuman (sp?) He should know about this. I think his name is Rick Marsh, but not sure if this is the correct last name. He might help you out. I would send him an email with the name of the person you talked to in JC, and ask for assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
OK. Mystery solved. We just pulled into our campsite for the day and before I hooked up I turned on the pump and listened better. It's under the wardrobe. There is a panel at the bottom with four screws. Pull that panel and it is right there. Plenty of access.

Now, I am back to relaxing and enjoying my trip.

Chuck
Old 09-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlabs View Post
OK. Mystery solved. We just pulled into our campsite for the day and before I hooked up I turned on the pump and listened better. It's under the wardrobe. There is a panel at the bottom with four screws. Pull that panel and it is right there. Plenty of access.

Now, I am back to relaxing and enjoying my trip.

Chuck
That makes more sense! I could not believe that Airstream would do something so stupid as to force owners to remove electrical panel or fridges to access something like a water pump.

This makes a whole lot more sense. Thanks for clearing this up Chuck

Cheers
Doug