Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Hood River , Oregon
1965 Caravel Water Heater

I have a 1965 Caravel with a working waterheater. I thought I had a leak and pulled the water heater to replace it. I then found the leak was from the drain pipes. The water heater is fine.
I used it for a bit and found that it didn't really keep water at a constant temperature. The water had to get pretty cold before it fired. It also was difficult to light the pilot. Another thing I noticed was when I pulled it the water that drained was really cloudy and dirty.
Here is my issue. I've got a working original waterheater, but I am not happy with its performance, so I've ordered a new one. Do I sell the old one, keep it for a future owner, or go back to the old one?
Thanks for any and all opinions.
Flash

Old 04-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
why hassle with the old one? A new water heater is cheap and the peace of mind is priceless. I put in a new Atwood, it took about 20 minutes. I chose the pilot light model, for I am always checking anyhow, and felt it was no big deal to light. I however, also like to crank my jack stand manually. If you save all your Bowen cover parts you can make a false door for your new one like this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	59051
I do not think saving the original will effect your value if that is your concern. All that sediment cannot be good for you or the operation of the unit.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgrbiv
I have a 1965 Caravel with a working waterheater. I thought I had a leak and pulled the water heater to replace it. I then found the leak was from the drain pipes. The water heater is fine.
I used it for a bit and found that it didn't really keep water at a constant temperature. The water had to get pretty cold before it fired. It also was difficult to light the pilot. Another thing I noticed was when I pulled it the water that drained was really cloudy and dirty.
Here is my issue. I've got a working original waterheater, but I am not happy with its performance, so I've ordered a new one. Do I sell the old one, keep it for a future owner, or go back to the old one?
Thanks for any and all opinions.
Flash
Replaced my old hot water with a Atwood and very happy with the performance. Sold the cover on ebay for $70.00, cover was in perfect condition.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Hood River , Oregon
Thank you for all the advice. I got the old Bowen out and am probably going to list it on ebay once I figure out how to pack it. There is a new Atwood in the mail!
Flash

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel