Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
1960 Overlander Bowen hot water heater?

I started taking things apart today. and I started to remove the Bowen water heater. The trailer still has the old chimneys. The water heater is going to have to come out because the floor needs to be replaced. Should I keep it? Is it safe to keep them? Can they be serviced? Maybe I should just go get another one. A 50 year old hot water heater does not seem worh keeping

How do you take it out? The black chimney is rusted on and I don't think it comes through the outside. It looks like I have to take it out from the inside. I was looking for threads.

Brian
Old 10-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I got the twin bed out the water heater disconnected except the black chimney outside. I think it is rusted on. I may have to cut the chimney with saw to get it out. I cannot get to the screws behind the chimney. I tried to get the hot water heater to move but it is not going anywhere.

Brian
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I was convinced by others here on the forum to NOT keep the one in my '73. I could have replaced the burner (not cheap) and it probably would have lasted a while. But why put $150 in it and have it fail in a couple of years when I could replace for about twice that. Not to mention all of the safety issues with a WH that old.

Having said all of that, I know nuthin' about the '60's models. I suspect many of the same "rules" apply.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
This thing looks like a world war II Land mine. I think I am going have use my reciprocating saw and cut off the black chimney outside. I will have to sleep on it tonight. I figure if I work on it a little bit each night and the weekends I will get it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	112509  
Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Brian

It looks just like mine and if it is there is a bracket under it that only allows it to slide out of the coach. Best to remove all outside and interior trim, then it slides right out.
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Brian
All the outside trim simply unscrews and although the bowen is probably toast keep All outside components. The vent is a work of art in my opinion (ok not the mona lisa but still cool) It can be hinged and used with your new heater.
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
thanks guys. I will have to cut the chimney off because it is rusted on. That is the black exhaust pipe. I got all the trim off but one piece the black chimney is in the way. I will do it tomorrow.

Brian
Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Sammamish , Washington
Hi,
I'm at the same stage Lothlorian is on my 61 Bambi. Have the original water tank and hot water heater and black water tank. Is it worth saving the aluminim fresh water tank? I am in the "OMG, what was I thinking" stage and hope to get the appliancs out so I can replace the rotten floor.
EssieBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by EssieBlue View Post
Hi,
I'm at the same stage Lothlorian is on my 61 Bambi. Have the original water tank and hot water heater and black water tank. Is it worth saving the aluminim fresh water tank? I am in the "OMG, what was I thinking" stage and hope to get the appliancs out so I can replace the rotten floor.
I'd get rid of the old aluminum tank. It's probably full of corrosion and gunk that you really don't want in your fresh water. The black tank, however, is something you may want to save if possible. Replacements can be very expensive if it is a curved tank.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Norm:

I am going to put in a new water tank. I pulled all the copper plumbing today. The black tank I will keep.

Brian
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Sammamish , Washington
The hot water tank came out easy after reading the post on how to remove it from the outside. Haven't started on the fresh water tank removal. Also not sure how to remove the rusted metal piece from the top of the fiberglass toilet tank. Do I remove the drain pipe from underneath first?
Essie
EssieBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I tried a pipe wrench but nothing would budge . Once it was light out and I could see down the pipe for the fill tank I noticed all kinds of crud and erosion. I am going to take my buzz saw and cut it out. Getting rid of everything. I want it to look like the original so I will take a plastic pipe with the same dimensions and use silver krylon paint. I will hook it up to a new water tank and the cap outside. I have a ways to go before I do that.

Brian
Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

I'm needing to replace the Bowen water heater cover on my Safari; NSDW modified it in a gas station last year. Are any of you replacing your exterior shroud?
Let me know please.

Thanks,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1960, 1960 overlander