Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Audiobox-did you install the natures head toilet yet? How did it go?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 PM   #30
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We installed ours in late July... seems to work just fine. Haven't emptied the solids yet.... will post pictures when I can...

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Hey Barts-please post photos when you get a chance!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
Audiobox-did you install the natures head toilet yet? How did it go?
Suplementary wiring, inner skins re-install, paint, cork floor, galley, then bathroom. In roughly that order. Work should start on the wiring the in early 2011. So, the Nature's Head will be in its box for awhile yet.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
I also installed one several months ago and am currently living full time in my Argosy. For me in the metro Atlanta area, I had to contend with some little gnats flying into the hole where the city water inlet is located and where I had placed the vent tube coming out of the toilet. That was a jury rigged hole though that somebody made for the inlet tubing to come into the trailer. So perhaps others don't have this problem with where they put their vent tubing from the toilet.

I just took the whole thing outside, and soaked it all in some Bronner's soap and rinsed it real good and started over.

I really like my toilet, it doesn't really smell, just a kind of peat moss smell. It does get a little messy when having a whole big bottle of pee to pour in a nearby house toilet. I just have to pour it slowly into the house toilet so it won't slosh out. I wait until it's completely full so others don't have to wait that long. On the way carrying it to the house toilet, I put a cap on it that came with the bottle. I can only smell the urine when I take it out and am pouring the whole thing into the toilet and then for about a day when urinating when it is filling back up. .

Besides those bugs it's been great. I talked to one of the owners of the company and he said he has heard of such a problem, but it's not a regular kind of thing he hears from customers.

I would recommend this if you don't mind changing your habits a little on how you deal with your waste. I'm new to trailers and haven't experienced taking a trailer to a dump station, or hauling the waste in a portable container to a dump station.

I bought this toilet, because I didn't want to deal with that all the time.

I'm also glad that it's all not going back into being processed to a waste water treatment plant. I will just dump it into my outside food composting pile which isn't used in a garden.

It's really not that much trouble I think. I think it will take a while until I will need to dump this peat compost out. The longer you let it sit the better until the toilet is 3/4 full. I haven't had to dump this second compost out yet since dumping the last one about a month or so ago. I'm the only one using it so I don't know how long it would take to fill up with more people. I still think it would take months before having to do so.

Brian
Old 01-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Thanks for all the great info- I'm this close to purchasing either a NH or an AH for my '64 Globetrotter, and I wanted to make sure it was the right decision, not for me but for my other, doubting, half. One thing though, reading about the Air-Head, it seemed like the ease of removing the pee bottle was a compelling reason to spend more. I'm curious to know what others think. Got to get this done for Casini Ranch rally in April!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
pee jug not a problem for nature's head

I've been using the NH since last summer living in my 76' Argosy full time.

It's not a problem for me to just unlatch the top part on both sides, lift the whole bowl up about two or three inches, have my urine container cap handy, and then just pull the jug out and cap it.

What I would be concerned with is male urinating.
I would see what the reviews somewhere are for peeing in the other toilet.

I had to put my toilet up on a raised platform in the bathroom of the trailer because of the black/grey water tank below. So, it was always a bit of an effort to do the recommended "sit down each time you pee" kind of thing since it was up level with the sink where I sit. So, I found that I just stand up and aim for one of those drain holes.

I did notice it is easy to have splash away when sitting or standing if you are not aiming for the wholes because of the way the front of the bowl curves back to allow for draining. I would think that women couldn't aim as well so there would be even more backsplash They may argue that point

The backsplash would then go over that hatch that you use the lever to slide back to open up the toilet bowl to poo.

I have found that even though that piece of plastic lid is long enough for the supposed urine to go forward to the urine drain area, I still notice some dripping down into the solid waste area over time.

This is the main thing with this whole set up is not to mix the solid and the liquid. So, that bothered me that this keeps occurring. Perhaps it's just me.

So, those are the rather straightforward descriptions of the mechanics of emptying the urine jug and the results of urinating in it constantly over time as a male.

brian
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We do not find the removal of the jug to be an issue on the NH. We have compared the NH to the AH and found the quality of the NH to be superior for less money. As far as sitting down to pee you might enjoy my blog on the subject!

The Flying Cloud Eco-DiscoveryTour: Pee Like a Girl
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #37
Trailer Trash Trez

1968 22' Safari
Rustic Pond , Maine
I've been trying to follow this thread as the idea of a composting toilet intrigues me, but I have 2 questions:
has anyone experienced getting sick in one?
& am I getting this correct: you have to separate the liquids from solids when emptying out the pot?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminomad View Post
I've been trying to follow this thread as the idea of a composting toilet intrigues me, but I have 2 questions:
has anyone experienced getting sick in one?
& am I getting this correct: you have to separate the liquids from solids when emptying out the pot?
The toilet does the work of separating the liquids.

As far as "hugging the porcelain throne" is concerned, this one is plastic and Iv'e never had occasion!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #39
Trailer Trash Trez

1968 22' Safari
Rustic Pond , Maine
'twas BrianD's post on the pee subject that had me thinking I'd have to separate the two... aiming for holes etc... very confusing... I just want to be a green camper not a poopologist good to know... I'm sure there are ways to manage bugs... extra peat moss perhaps or a lizard
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
I have a compost pile.... does that count?

Come and see me at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-71804-60.html
Trex "Airstream Nomad"
Trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
mckinney , Texas
Two words: elongated bowl. This was the deciding factor in my purchase of a NH.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Natures' head x Air Head: I was reading posts on a couple of boating sites and they were all over the Air Head. So to speak. We have the '64 unitized fiberglass bathroom and I'll have to do some cutting to make the composting toilet work- cut the fiberglass and build a box to surround the toilet. The hinged rectangular seat will still work, but my question remains this: will it be a pain to have to tilt back the unit to get the urine bottle out? That is the one reason I was leaning towards the Air Head. The quality of the Nature's Head appealed to me... sigh, what to do.

I'm hoping that from all this ruminating we'll end up with a unit that will function well and easily. Thanks