Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Woke up the morning to flooded floor

When I woke up this morning, I stepped into cold water. Upon inspection, our grey tank was overflowing and had seeped into the bedroom and bath area of our AS. I found that my wife had left on the bathroom faucet just a trickle, just enough to fill up the tanks (it was almost full last night anyway) into the overflow mode. I found lots of water under the trailer at the park but found nothing in the shower pan. The question I have is: shouldn't there be an overflow valve that would enable the tank to just flow outside instead of flooding the trailer? Do I have some clogged area that would cause this?

altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

I'm going to let wiser heads answer your overflow valve question - sure seems like a darned good idea to me! But I've filled mine up, and it DOES back into the shower and until the shower is overflowing it wouldn't get on the floor. Luckily I was standing IN the shower when it started burping and backing up so I rinsed quickly, got out and emptied the gray tank.

The fact that yours flooded your floor without filling up your shower pan leads me to believe you might have a cracked drain or poorly attached drain in your shower... it may be running out right before it should be backing up into the shower. There's probably a rubber gasket between the pipe and the shower itself. The best way to test that would be to put the plug in the shower drain and fill the shower. If the water level goes down it's the seal between the pipe and the shower's floor drain hole.

I don't know whether you're going to have to go in through the belly pan though I suspect you will, or whether you could see the problem by opening the panel under the closet (in the 25 FB it's on hinges). It's a door just like the closet door - but no handle. I use a knife or scraper to pop it open.

Contrary to common practice I often DO leave my gray open - I fulltime and shower til I run out of hot water. I close it once a week when I'm doing black tank draining. Before I leave a campground I close the gray and turn the sink on full blast so there will be a lot of whoosh to get the coffee grounds out of the bottom of the gray.

Sympathy Karma to you.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
It should fill up into the shower if that is the lowest point of the gray water drain system. Flood stage is tested in the pre delivery inspection of a trailer. F S is filling the gray to overflowing the shower and leaving a few minutes to check for leaks.
Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Thanks to all

I took everybodys advice, including using an enzymatic cleaner for the carpet and all seems well and fragrance free. No moisture detectable anywhere, even the Dry-Z-Air crystals aren't being used up. I will be taking it into the dealer after the holidays to find out why it overflowed into the trailer in the first place, along with the niggly little items to be covered in my last month of warranty.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote