Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Why aren't the grey and black holding tanks one?

I/we find our 30 gallon grey water tank inadequate , blasphemy, I know. It was on our previous MH also and I don't/won't change a thing on this tt.....consider myself/us, preservators/ conservators.

I think we are going to have to buy one of those tanks on wheels. We usually stay where there are full hook-ups but there are some really nice parks in WA State that we wish to visit and they do not have hook-ups.

Electric is no problem....can go for several days.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You really have to minimize water usage. Its funny all the things you do that really are water wasters.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
[QUOTE=Kistler]I/we find our 30 gallon grey water tank inadequate , blasphemy, I know. It was on our previous MH also and I don't/won't change a thing on this tt.....consider myself/us, preservators/ conservators.
QUOTE]

My, My We have a 12 gallon grey tank. 30 would be a blessing, look to your water usage. We too have a Blue tank but rearly use it.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We really try! We only shower twice a day (a.m. and p.m.); cut the lunch showers out completely.

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 06-01-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Maybe you should try showering together.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb

Filling the swimming pool ,before leaving home helps too.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Maybe you should try showering together.
It's my favorite thing to do!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Kistler,
It may be worse than you thought. I believe your classic has a 39 gallon grey water tank. Few travel trailers our size have that much capacity.

We have gotten much better over time. Our grey tank supposedly holds 35 gal. We can go three days without any particular conservation efforts, and four if we work at it just a bit. Of course, there are just the two of us.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The problem with having a 39 gal wash water tank (remember, it's wash water now, not grey water) that you fill is that you will want a 40 gallon blue tank to empty it into and then drag that to the dump station!

We can go four days on a ten gallon blue tank, but that's without showers (hey, we're camping!). We also use paper plates so we don't have to do dishes when we don't have hookups. That saves a lot of water.

Wow, a 39 gallon wash water tank, I'm just going to sit here and dream of the day...

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Talking white and black water tank

With a little practice you can take a good shower in "one" gallon of water if you want. 1 gallon 2 people 2 showers per day, 39 gallon tank should last 5 days assuming you wash the dishes----use paper plates and plastic spoons and you could get 8 days and still brush your teeth.

Ernie and Jan It only rains 3 times in Oregon----Oct and Nov are the first time, Dec, Jan and Feb the second and Mar and Apr the third time. Sometimes even May is good also.
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We have the 39 gal grey tank. I had it in use for 9 days and didn't fill it half way with washing dishes, and basic use. We both used the shower on a weekend trip several times in addition to dishes, etc and even then, we still filled only a bit more than half the tank in the weekend and we used about 5 gals of water for each of our showers for 2 days.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
you have to take navy showers...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Actually we don't use the water mostly for showers, apparently, and have not run out of water in a 24 hour period yet.

What I don't know the reasoning for is the separation of black and grey water tanks. It seems to me I could use a little more water in the black tank and it would dump more easily.

Like I say there will be no modifications by me but I wish the grey water went into the black tank.

Kistler
Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Like I say there will be no modifications by me but I wish the grey water went into the black tank.

Kistler
I'm glad not to have two tanks. Quite honestly if push comes to shove the excess grey water can hit the ground if necessary. Not on a combined tank though. As far as I'm concerned the black water is priority storage and needs no additions from other sources.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:47 AM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
So Kistler, what parks do you plan on visiting in WA?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanP
With a little practice you can take a good shower in "one" gallon of water if you want.
I can do it only if I don't wash my hair. If I don't rinse every bit of shampoo out, my heads itches like crazy. Last weekend I figured I use two to three times as much water rinsing my hair as I use washing and rinsing the rest of me.

I can't figure how to get around that. When I'm at home I wash my hair every other day. But camping I wash it every day because I always get sweaty during the day, and the sweat makes my scalp itch. It all comes down to the itchy scalp.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
It seems to me I could use a little more water in the black tank and it would dump more easily.
Our current MH black tank setup needs more water than previous coaches. We've finally solved the problem by always filling the bowl all the way with water before each flush.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 AM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

What I don't know the reasoning for is the separation of black and grey water tanks. It seems to me I could use a little more water in the black tank and it would dump more easily.

Kistler

The reason is: well, there are a few. But mainly, there are still places where you can legally and morally dump wash water on the ground. like, on your own property. or boondocking in some places. less to carry around when you leave. its also nice to be able to clean out the slinky with "not-so-nasty" wastewater, after dumping the black tank. it gives the hose (and dump valves) a good rinse.

If I'm on water rationing, I'll use a bucket in the shower to collect water, and dump that into the toilet, or use it for flushing. my shower head has one of those shut-off levers, but it doesn't actually stop the flow; it only slows it down drastically. so when I shut it off, I stick the shower head in the bucket. I also use the bucket to collect that first few seconds of cold water when trying to adjust the temp just right for showering....you can waste a gallon or more of water doing this, and you get quite a few flushes out of that.

what would be nice, though, is a pump system that allows you to transfer water from the grey tank to the black, in situations such as yours. some people have made such retrofits, but it is a bit of an undertaking. But its nice to have the option, should the situation arise. The POs of my trailer never used the freshwater tank or water pump. They never camped anywhere without a full hookup. "whatever". its a free country.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
What I don't know the reasoning for is the separation of black and grey water tanks.
Kistler
One also wants to consider the effect of a full combined tank. It will back up into the lowest point, i.e. the shower pan. Not a good thing.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Well, you guys, can see that is two good reasons for separation. I was just thinking I had "unused capacity"

Kistler