Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Whoa, where's the grey tank?

Hi,

I just took the above-floor (kind of) black tank and toilet out of my Argy26. The black tank extends under the floor more than I thought. But a bigger surprise was that the grey tank that I thought should be under the floor...wasn't!

Well, I've parked the Argy where I can't get underneath for a while...so, can someone tell me whereabouts the grey tank is? Maybe it's further forward towards the axles?

Thanks!
Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
On my 25' the grey tank was one frame space forward of the black tank -- all behind the axle. You have to drop belly pan to get to it. It is all below the floor -- galvanized steel encasing foam insulation, and the tank internal to those structures. The galvanized steel outer case is supported fore and aft by fairly small angle iron crossways between the main frame.

If you want to see some radical Argosy reinventing see posts by Smokeless Joe.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The grey tank, such as it is, should be just behind the rear axle.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Thanks!

I knew it must be there somewhere...but then I had an odd feeling that maybe it was...gone!

Thanks for letting me know where it is.

Now the question is...do I get it out for the sake of removing it, or should I let it tag along for the ride?

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
I knew it must be there somewhere...but then I had an odd feeling that maybe it was...gone!

Thanks for letting me know where it is.

Now the question is...do I get it out for the sake of removing it, or should I let it tag along for the ride?

Cheers!
It most likely has about a 5-7 gallon capacity, and the whole thing, including the galvanized cover, should weigh less than 50 pounds empty. Probably even less than that.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
5 ~ 7 gallons?

Wow, pretty small tank...I bet one bath and it'll be full...of course, I'm also reading on the grey-tank-less design airstreams and how a tote-along is necessary.

I'm thinking that my rebuild will include a new grey tank of 20 gallons between the axles, but above the floor. (40 gallon water, 20 grey, and 20 black).

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My '76 Argo manual speaks about optional items that we'd consider standard -- grey tank (I think this was the first year for grey tanks in the Airstream line), A/C, & BAL jacks. It lists grey tank weight as 60#. The '76 manual appears to have been printed in one edition for all Argosy trailers that year.

Black tank (rear bath) 12 gal
Black tank (center bath) 23 gal
Grey tank (rear bath) 10 gal
Grey tank (center bath) 16 gal
Water tank 30 gal

Say Chopper -- also note that you'll need to replace the gasket around your water fill door or else rainwater down the side of your trailer can enter your water tank. Some people drink from their tanks, some don't...

Quote:
I'm thinking that my rebuild will include a new grey tank of 20 gallons between the axles, but above the floor. (40 gallon water, 20 grey, and 20 black).
Grey tank above the floor? Where?! And it will need to drain the shower by gravity unless you install a lift pump.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
New Design for Grey tank location

Hi Canoestream!

Thanks for all your advice!

My current concept is that everything to the back, including the wheelwell area, has a raised floor built above the wheelwell height. Yes, it will make for less headroom, but I'm just putting a bunk bed at the back and a queen bed along the streetside, so I think we can manage. The toilet closet is on top of this second floor as well. So between the wheelwells, I have plenty of room for a gravity drained tank farm for black, grey and fresh. That way I figure that the weight will be over the axles, and centered over them as well.

I'm debating on making the toilet closet into a shower compartment as well.

What do you think?

Cheers!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Honestly -- check out Smokeless Joe. Here & here. He's been rewriting the book and you might get something reading about his project.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-25-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Chopper; My 1973 Argy 26 did not have a gray tank. It does not even look as if it had one ever, because the plumbing is original. I too, am restoring mine frame up and new custom interior and possibly ner SS undercarriage. Keep you posted. "boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It sticks in my head that 1974 was the first year for grey tanks.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Grey Tank

Ok, I've crawled under there and bad news...the rear belly pan is totally ripped off from the axles back. The good news is that it's exposed what looks like a galvanized steel pan, which I believe the grey tank sits in...so I've found it. Boy, there's very little room to work under there, and with all this rain we've had, the floor of the shed is really muddy, so that may have to wait for a while. I'll post what I see.

Cheers!
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
, and with all this rain we've had, the floor of the shed is really muddy, so that may have to wait for a while.

Cheers!
If you are impatient, you can get a cheap plastic tarp to put on the ground so you aren't rolling around in the mud...
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
St. Albert , Alberta
Dropping the Grey Tank

Hi all,

I've propped the Argy up on a steel ramp under each side, so the wheels are about 8 inches off the ground and there's lots of clearance to work under the frame at the back end.

CAUTION: whether it is the angle that the Argy is at or whether the jack is just old, but when I cranked up to get the hitch off, something inside the jack slipped and the whole front end fell back onto the hitch, then the jack didn't work anymore. Luckily the Argy is light enough to use a 2x4 has a lever to get some blocks under the tongue so that I could drive the tow vehicle out.

Anyways, the belly pan under the grey tank had been ripped off sometime in the past and the two angle irons holding up the grey tank box was easy to get at. You have to remove the belly pan that goes into the bumper too because one of the angle irons hides under that, and ithat pan is held in place with some screws, but it comes out easy. Then one bolt at each end of the angle irons (9/16") come off, the angle irons come off the body and the galvanized box falls off. There's a furnace hose attached to it for hot air, there's styrofoam in the box, and then the grey tank itself, which looks really thin.

The plumbing to the grey tank is a bit of a hastle to get through, but it's out now.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Eleven Dropping the Grey (reduced).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	26539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Eleven Dropping the Grey Connections (reduced).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	26540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Day Eleven Dropping the Grey Other side (reduced).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	26541  
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Chopper; My 1973 Argy had no gray tank. Gray water was piped in to a black tank. I am buying a new gray water tank. " boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Newbie questions

Have just found this site, and am looking to purchase an airstream. I see from this thread, some ASs did not come with a grey water tank, is there a specfic year/model combination to make sure I get a trailer with all the tanks? Thanks in advance!
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
Have just found this site, and am looking to purchase an airstream. I see from this thread, some ASs did not come with a grey water tank, is there a specfic year/model combination to make sure I get a trailer with all the tanks? Thanks in advance!
Grey tanks arrived in 1974 to 1975. Very small in the beginning, our 1979 Safari has a 10 gallon grey tank. Tremendous amount of useful information on RJ Dial's site VintageAirstream.com in the FAQ section.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote