Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Where do you store your blue tank "thingy"?

I have a 73 Overlander with no onboard grey water tank and am new to owning a trailer. We have a full size SUV for as a TV. Can some one tell where do I store this blue thingy when driving?? Also, how big of one should I have??
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have a 25 gallon one that has four wheels and a "tow bar" handle that allows me to "hitch" it to my tow vehicle to tow it to the dump station. There are also two wheel models that have built in handles that are designed to tow behind the tow vehicle also that hold up to 30 gallons. I bought mine at Camping World and the 25 gallon was the largest they had in stock the day I was there.

On the only trip we have used it so far, I emptied it every day (twice one day) and still filled my 38 gallon gray water tank twice in a three day week end...yes we all do take a shower EVERY day...sorry, we don't rough it, we Airstream it! Anyway, get as large as you can figure out a place to store so you can empty it as infrequently as possible. You'd be surprised how often it fills.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If your Overlander has the rear bath tub you know it's a bit awkward to use for it's intended purpose. Since we would normally use the facilities at the campground, the tub is a perfect receptacle for wet smelly things you might not want in the TV.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
I agree that bigger is better in this case. We have a truck so we store ours in the bed when in transit. The previous owner had a receiver hitch bolted/welded to the back bumper of the AS then had a rack made to carry it back there. I will look for a picture of it and post it. We removed it because it seemed to be in my way all the time. I have seen others store theirs on top of their tow vehicle if you have a rack to secure it to. Remember its not the cleanest thing so try not to store it inside the AS. I did see one owner this summer with his sitting on the back "bumper" sometimes referred to as the trunk, where most people store their sewer hoses and couplers. Then had two eye bolts fastened just under the rear window with bungies holding the tank to the back of the AS. You would have to relocate your license plate if the tank cover it while towing.

Most campgrounds these days have sewer at the campsite so unless you are planning to go to a remote or older campground then you wont need to bring the blue tank. If you are making reservations ask if they have sewer and if they do leave the big blue tank behind and just hook directly to the campground sewer point.

Either way have a great time.
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
None of the State Parks in Georgia that I am aware of have sewer hook-up and only a couple in Florida have them.

Is there room to bungie it to the back bumper of your tow vehicle? You could place a foam cushion between it and the rear door to the SUV.

On the roof rack is awkward at best.

Airstream bumper could be an option.

Just inside the Airstream's door is another. You could mop up after if it makes a mess.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-19-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I bought a 22 gallon blue boy from JC Whitney - they seemed to have the best price and are always running specials like free shipping. The 22 gal model is the smallest with a tow behind feature. We were at a rally where the hosts had a community blue boy for attendees use. I think it was 33 gallons. This is a very large tank that is not easy to handle when full. It is also very expensive. After using it and imagining traveling with it, I'm glad I went with thew 22.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Blue Tank

I also use the bathroom to store my blue tank in transit. I don't know the volume because it came with the rig. When you are deciding on tank size, remember more volume means more weight you will need to deal with when you empty the tank.

I always travel with the tank. If it isn't needed, it's easily stored under the trailer. In addition to the tank, you want to make sure you have a sewer pipe cap that has a male hose end connector. You use a 3/4 inch hose with female connectors on each end to connect between the trailer and the tank. Usually a hose comes with the tank. If it doesn't, a washing machine hose works good. I also carry an old garden hose. A few places will allow you to drain your gray water directly on the ground.

Pepper
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I agree with the bath tub.
Hate to see it hanging outside, or in the way inside.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Inside the van..

mine doesn't get smelly..... only using it for grey!!!! I can't imagine lugging anything else than my 22 gallon around. Just hooking it up to the ball of my van to tow to the dump station = it gets heavy when full. Our 22 is fine for our family of 4 - one dump a day usually does it.

The state campgrounds on the west coast usually don't have sewer hookups.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I thought long and hard before I purchased mine. I went with a "Blue boy" that was the size closest to my black tank on the larger end. i.e. my black tank is about 17 gallons. So I went with the 22 gallon tote. That way I can dump my black tank with out breaking camp. Also when on the road the tote is in the tub. Using it for gray only I get about two to two and a half days out of it with 5 and 1/2 of us. (Max is only 1.5)
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
blue tank follies.....

here's a story I'll pass along.......
Camping in Malibu Beach, CA late at night (about midnight) we return from a night on the town. Lo and behold, the black tank is full (toilet won't drain). Each site is along a beautiful STEEP cliff, and we are packed in like sardines. To hook up the trailer and go to the dump would be 1) LOUD 2) UP a steep hill (I'm thinkng that the black tank may backfill my toilet and run out into the trailer... 3) A multi person job to back back into the site.

"No problemo!" I think - I'll just use the blue tank and the sewer hose that came with it (I use a sewer solution hose normally - it won't dump the black tank without using water to cut up the floaters). The included hose is a push on affair (push the accordian hose onto a pressure fit valtera hose bib. You see where this is going....

I hooked up my blue tank, smuggly pulled the black tank valve.... and it worked for about 10 seconds. THEN that @#$%^ accordian hose popped off - OH WHAT A SMELLY MESS!!!!! The kids start hollering - "Poppi - what's that awefull smell!!!" Hard to be stealthy now. With gloves, flashlights, and paperplates I go, scooping up what I could back into the tank. I dumped so much laundry detergent and tried to bury the rest = just to kill that smell. I'm sure the neighbors woke up at that moment to the most aweful smell. Even the campgound hosts starting patrolling with their cart - me turning off my lights and ducking when they came. Oh the shame!!!

We left the next day after a full clean up - I was sure we'd be camping that night in some parking lot after being kicked out.

NEVER, will I dump that black tank again into a blue tote (made the tote smell forever too!)!!!! I threw away that hose too!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We also keep ours in the tub, after emptying it.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The tote tank is one of the best reasons for using a pickup for a TV!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I had a similar "RV" moment when emptying my GRAY tank the first time using it. Mine occurred when trying to empty the sewer hose into the blue tank. Our blue tank top as actually higher than the tank valve outlet. While trying to lift the hose to get the gray water to flow into the tank, it came off the bayonet connector and spilled all over my gloved hand and the ground and my shoe and euewe . Thank goodness it was the gray tank.

Gloves or not, I used the hand sanitizer all the way up to my elbows! The gray water didn't go anywhere near that far up my arms, but still. Just the thought...and it was just the gray water!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Thanks for the info. I agree a P/U would be ideal. Can't or won't change that now so I guess the tub it is. I will just be sure to clean it and dry it good before carrying it through the camper because I don't want to mop anything up grey water or not. I will be sure to never dump the black water into it, as soon as I started reading that story I new you were going to say it ended up on the ground. I had a good laugh, thanks!

I certainly appreciate the tip about the tow option because I am sure it would be a monster to get it to a dump station if it is much over 20 gallons. And as for most state parks I have found in SC they usually (if on a lake especially) do not have sewer hook up, so we would always carry it with us.

One last thing, any problems with it banging around in the tub? Do you put anything around it to stop that from happening?

Thanks again! I am really enjoying this forum you all are very helpful.
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
This is a great thread. I'm about to step off into the BLUE TANK world and this thread has provided me with exact answers I was too embarassed to ask. It's great!!!!!
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Our blue tank top as actually higher than the tank valve outlet. While trying to lift the hose to get the gray water to flow into the tank, it came off the bayonet connector and spilled all over my gloved hand and the ground and my shoe and euewe . Thank goodness it was the gray tank.
Next time, try standing the tank on end, with the handle up. The inlet will be below valve level, and it is easier to pull back slightly to roll it, than having to pick it up off the ground.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Next time, try standing the tank on end, with the handle up. The inlet will be below valve level, and it is easier to pull back slightly to roll it, than having to pick it up off the ground.
My tank is a 25 gallon "flat" tank that has 4 wheels with the inlet at the end with the larger wheels on the sides. The opposite end has two smaller wheels under the middle that are on the pivot for the handle. It is like a flat wagon. The inlet is on top. If I stand it on end, all of the gray water would run out on the ground. I'll try to photo it tonight.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Another idea is to use two 10 gal tanks instead of a 22 gal tank. At alot of campgrounds the dumpstation may be a mile or two from the campsite on gravel and washboard roads. Blue tanks usually have cheap plastic wheels. You can pick the 10 gal tanks up and put them in your TV to the dumpstation.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #20
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Blue Man Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
My tank is a 25 gallon "flat" tank that has 4 wheels with the inlet at the end with the larger wheels on the sides. The opposite end has two smaller wheels under the middle that are on the pivot for the handle. It is like a flat wagon. The inlet is on top. If I stand it on end, all of the gray water would run out on the ground. I'll try to photo it tonight.
Thats the one we use also.
Easy to 'hitch' up to bicycle or scooter.
If close enough to station, can pull by hand.
Tank stays flat on ground, so no lifting.

Liked the story above about the late night smells...sounds like RV the movie.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote