Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
What's wrong with photo?

This is how I was greeted to my 2017 FC 23FB when I did my first dump. (Been meaning to share this for a while). I was quite surprised this made it through Airstream quality control.Click image for larger version

Name:	What's wrong with this Photo.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	340546
Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hmmm.... guessing by the grey handle and thinner pipe, the left tank is grey/“wastewater” and the black handle with the fatter pipe is black or poop tank.

Gonna want a new set of labels. [emoji55]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I'm thinking they flipped the handles.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm thinking they flipped the handles.
They didn’t switch the handles, but the labels. I brought this to their attention in 2017 and they sent out new labels. How’s, you can easily remove the stickers and put them over the correct handle.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Don't water the garden
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
The Tech Was Dyslexic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton Stream View Post
This is how I was greeted to my 2017 FC 23FB when I did my first dump. (Been meaning to share this for a while). I was quite surprised this made it through Airstream quality control.Attachment 340546
A. Your AS was made on a Monday or Friday.
B. There is no quality control on those days or others matter of fact.
C. Tech response: "Just change the handles".

Note: Heat the labels with a hair dryer and they will come off and reapply them to their correct position.

AS will send you new ones NC.

zoz

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	340641
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
After the first dump this is not an issue. Mountain out of mole hill.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
[emoji3]
I didn’t hear anyone making a mountain of of it - just pointing it out....it’s worth noting.

The mountain here is that entire section of plastic pipes would benefit from a shield of some sort. Someone posted recently the “box” they built for that purpose - looked very smart - something the factory should consider....

That’s probably not a mountain either now that I think about it [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, the only ‘mountain’ that needs concern is the potential ‘brown mountain’ in the black tank right under the toilet...(ugh)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Hmmm.... guessing by the grey handle and thinner pipe, the left tank is grey/“wastewater” and the black handle with the fatter pipe is black or poop tank.

Gonna want a new set of labels. [emoji55]
I concur.

How this got through quality control is beyond me. Someone needs to get written up.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Really it should say gray water and black water. Black water is waste water and so is gray water. I suppose sewage would also mean black water.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
On Comet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Santee , California
I had the exact same situation on my 2017 FC 25RB. Maybe the person at the factory who applies the stickers is color blind and can't tell the difference between "black" and "light black".

I contacted the factory and they eventually sent me replacement labels. I didn't bother removing the old labels; just applied the new ones over them.
Silver Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
I’m new to the forum and Airstream owner but having worked in process and quality control for a worldwide corporation, I’m beginning to think Airsteam has some serious quality control issues.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

The only solution for this problem is the following:
1. Employee made to write “wastewater and sewage” 1,000 on the conference room whiteboard
2. A public flogging for one hour on the production floor
3. Job termination after they become conscious from flogging and made to walk the employee trail of shame to the parking lot, where they will find all four tires have been slashed on their car and sugar poured into the gas tank.
4. Full page picture of employee in local newspaper with a capital “L” in the middle of their forehead for “Loser”.
5. Ran out of town on the back of a donkey riding backwards while town’s people throw rotten vegetables at them telling the person never to return.

Just glad I’ve never made a mistake in life.

Enjoy,
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
They may want to update the black tank sticker to a more universal style:

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If I were on the customer council I would recommend they take everyone in the factory camping for a day. Make them do a dump and actually use the trailer.

My guess is that employees are "book" taught and have no idea what using one of these trailers are actually like. If they have to put that hose away after filling it with shXX, they might get the labels right.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Steamboat springs , Colorado
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rltports View Post
I’m new to the forum and Airstream owner but having worked in process and quality control for a worldwide corporation, I’m beginning to think Airsteam has some serious quality control issues.
We bought a 2019 22' FB Sport. Our previous camper was a T@b css max. In my opinion Airstream could learn a lot from the makers of T@b. By the end of our first camping trip, wall panels fell, breaking the kitchen counter. The Airstream storage is horrible, especially over the sink and stove. Rivets kept falling from the ceiling. We had a laundry list of things to fix. I think I got a lemon instead of the perfect Airstream I was expecting.
deedeerode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeerode View Post
We bought a 2019 22' FB Sport. Our previous camper was a T@b css max. In my opinion Airstream could learn a lot from the makers of T@b. By the end of our first camping trip, wall panels fell, breaking the kitchen counter. The Airstream storage is horrible, especially over the sink and stove. Rivets kept falling from the ceiling. We had a laundry list of things to fix. I think I got a lemon instead of the perfect Airstream I was expecting.
My 8 year experience with Airstream (owning a brand new 2008 25 FBSE) was a continuous discovery of lousy quality control.

A Love:Hate relationship -> A Beautiful premium priced trailer, with lousy quality control. It was a joy to tow but ours had an endless litany of deficiencies and leaks. I think I got most of it fixed before selling the unit, by practically rebuilding the entire trailer.

One positive though, they have a cult status and retain their value. Just be prepared to do a lot of work to make it right.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
The label installer put labels on my trailer before yours. My black tank is on the left. Yours is just backwards. 😉

Note too that the pipes and valves are not covered by the belly pan. So you have a freeze exposure condition. Of course this may be planned on your model and not a quality issue.

For those with inside rivet issues that's normal. Get a gun and some rivets. Sooner or later you'll have one pop.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
When we visited JC, there were Toyota Mfg System type assembly instructions. AS claims they use the Toyota mfg methods. This shows that the implementation is quite poor. If it was done properly, the information would be checked at the next station. Obviously the on-line inspection process is significantly flawed. These problems are easy to fix. Assy person engages head as part of the process. Other workers help improve the skills and knowledge of the group. A better product results. Profit goes up. Sales go up. The system adds value and pride to the organization.

The good news is that this type of error should be caught and corrected by the dealer's prep. Oh, they missed it? Wow!

I guess the only silver lining is that you caught it and had the opportunity to post it so the forum was informed. Good work. Thanks for sharing. . Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote